Frustrated! lifting weights....no weight loss!! what gives!

2»

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    About a month ago I started lifting with my fiance about 3 times a week and dropped my cardio down to 15 at the max..i only have time to lift and do 15 min of cardio...seems like when i started lifting my weight is still staying the same give or take .1,.2 lbs!! I havent been faithful with my logging but eating the same things i was b4 i started the weights!!! Is anyone else having the same problem??? Sorry if this is a repeat!

Maybe it's time to change up the diet a bit - increase calories by about 200 calories. Apart from the 15 min cardio and weight lifting are you active or sedentary most of the time?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    I have about 10 lbs of straight fat to lose. About 3 weeks ago, I changed my workout from VERY high intensity cardio (and weights, just not heavy) to very heavy (for me) lifting 3x's a week. Also, I upped my calories from 1200 to 1700. I *could* have stair stepped it but you know, I'm 5'11 and weigh 175. I'm not 5'2. I need to stop eating like I am. I've gained FOUR lbs. FOUR. And I'm still feeling the same fat but I KNOW this is a mental thing I'm just going to have to get over. I honestly think with all the crazy diets I've done in the past, my metabolism just doesn't know wtf to do with me. Even though I'll be in a bikini in a month, I HAVE to give my body time to repair the damage I've done. I know (mentally -- even though it still sucks) that I didn't gain 4 lbs of fat. I know this. Change WILL come.

You are correct, that 4 pounds is water and glycogen. It'll normalize as your body adjusts. You are on the right track! Stay with it. Also, I still think your cals are a little low. Try going to fat2fit.com and using thier formula. I like it a lot and Dan is a regular poster here who is extremely helpful.

I didn't see a formula? It was just a sales website for some diet?

fat2fitRADIO.com under the tools section. The radio is important :)

Okay, I did the calculator and it suggested 2450 calories to attain the fat loss I'm wanting. Um...it's not that I *don't* believe it, but I don't know...that's a lot! I mean, my mentality is still frail ya know ;-).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Thanks for the assist on the website MoreBean13!

You know of going all the way there makes you uncomfortable, maybe split the differnce between the 1700 and the 2450 at like 2050. I know what you mean. it took me a little while to make the mental adjustment to it. Right now I'm eating between 2200 and 2400 a day. More sometimes and I haven't lost or gained a pound but have shrunk in inches and dropped 4% in bf over the last 60 days. I'm 5'9", 200 lbs. I'm pretty much ignoring the scale right now and people who I haven't seen in a while are telling me how good I look and asking if I've lost weight. Works for me!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    I have about 10 lbs of straight fat to lose. About 3 weeks ago, I changed my workout from VERY high intensity cardio (and weights, just not heavy) to very heavy (for me) lifting 3x's a week. Also, I upped my calories from 1200 to 1700. I *could* have stair stepped it but you know, I'm 5'11 and weigh 175. I'm not 5'2. I need to stop eating like I am. I've gained FOUR lbs. FOUR. And I'm still feeling the same fat but I KNOW this is a mental thing I'm just going to have to get over. I honestly think with all the crazy diets I've done in the past, my metabolism just doesn't know wtf to do with me. Even though I'll be in a bikini in a month, I HAVE to give my body time to repair the damage I've done. I know (mentally -- even though it still sucks) that I didn't gain 4 lbs of fat. I know this. Change WILL come.

You are correct, that 4 pounds is water and glycogen. It'll normalize as your body adjusts. You are on the right track! Stay with it. Also, I still think your cals are a little low. Try going to fat2fit.com and using thier formula. I like it a lot and Dan is a regular poster here who is extremely helpful.

Okay, I did the calculator and it suggested 2450 calories to attain the fat loss I'm wanting. Um...it's not that I *don't* believe it, but I don't know...that's a lot! I mean, my mentality is still frail ya know ;-).

I am the same height and weight as you are and upped my calories a few weeks ago to 2400-2600 calories per day, netting around 1900-2000 after my exercise is subtracted. I've seen more progress in terms of fat loss in the past few weeks than I did in the two months prior that I was eating 2000-2200, which was undereating for my height, weight, and activity level.

And if you try upping your calories and it doesn't work, then you can always lower them again. But you won't know if it works unless you try.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    :ohwell:

I am the same height and weight as you are and upped my calories a few weeks ago to 2400-2600 calories per day, netting around 1900-2000 after my exercise is subtracted. I've seen more progress in terms of fat loss in the past few weeks than I did in the two months prior that I was eating 2000-2200, which was undereating for my height, weight, and activity level.

And if you try upping your calories and it doesn't work, then you can always lower them again. But you won't know if it works unless you try.

I *did* just up my calories from 1200 to 1700 with the thought that if it didn't work, I could gradually take a few away. Not if it didn't work or I gained, to add MORE. Hmmm.....I don't know!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    I'm about a month into StrongLifts 5x5. While lifting, I have noticed that my weight loss slowed down a fair bit, or appeared to level off at times. This week, I took a break due to some shoulder pain, and the weight is coming off the scale at a ridiculous rate (like 10 pounds since last Friday).

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that lifting 3x per week caused my body to retain a lot of extra water to recover, but fat was still coming off the whole time. Now that I've spent 7 days without lifting, that water's getting flushed out. Anyhow, if you want to see the scale move, take a few days off from the weights and see if it works. :smile:
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    About a month ago I started lifting with my fiance about 3 times a week and dropped my cardio down to 15 at the max..i only have time to lift and do 15 min of cardio...seems like when i started lifting my weight is still staying the same give or take .1,.2 lbs!! I havent been faithful with my logging but eating the same things i was b4 i started the weights!!! Is anyone else having the same problem??? Sorry if this is a repeat!

Weight loss is mostly diet. If you don't know exactly your in and out for cals, you can't know if your exercise has anything to do with this. Also, you should be doing 2-3 days of weights/strength training a week with a 5 minute warm up (not high intensity) and get your cardio in 3-4 days a week. (20-30 minutes) But before you look to exercise, start logging again.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I wish I had the balls to post my progress pics...but I dont lol

I have a pic from January to March, I lost 33lbs and it's noticable but nothing special. The pic from March to May which is when the weight training started is rediculous but I only lost 14lbs. Screw the scale! it will be the best thing you do!

Also like dlwyatt82 said, stop working out for a week and you will see a huge drop in weight, I went to vegas and ate whatever I wanted and lost 5 lbs in 4 days. Your body holds on to a lot of water when you weight train!
  • helxb
    helxb Posts: 1 Member
    I lost two stone in eight weeks through dieting and walking for about 2 hour a day but since i have stared the gym doing weight, 3 time a week and swimming 5 times a week my weight loss has really low down to about a pound a week. However after reading the post I know I need to stop focusing on the scale.:smile:
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Thank you everyone that replied!! I'm sorry that I haven't replied in a few days..been feeling really tired and been sleeping a lot and taking naps after work..wow..im tryin to get motivated again to start logging! I'm a dental assistant at a busy endodontic office and most days we work through lunch...so I really have no time to log and by time I get off work im exhausted and have to cook..I try to cook light but sometimes i have to cook what we have...! Its hard being an adult sometimes...lol good thing I don't have any children yet...whew!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    :ohwell:

I *did* just up my calories from 1200 to 1700 with the thought that if it didn't work, I could gradually take a few away. Not if it didn't work or I gained, to add MORE. Hmmm.....I don't know!

I'm 5'11" and 175 lb and lift heavy. I upped my calories a month ago from 1700 to 2200 and I've lost about 3 lbs since doing that. I'm feeling hungry again by the end of the day and doing some harder workouts so I've increased again to 2400 calories in the last week. Not sure it's going to hurt, but I know I won't feel hungry!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    you really need to watch your intake. if you're not lifting very heavy you are probably at a lower deficit than you were when you were doing cardio. You may need to start lifting heavier, add in more cardio on the off days or watch your intake. You may be eating way more than you realize.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Its all in the diet. Calories in vs Calories out.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member

Have you lost any inches? People seem to have this love affair with the scale and the scale really doesn't tell the story when you are getting fit instead of simply dieting. A good bit of reference material for you would be the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" not that your S.O. isn't knowledgeable but take a read of the book and tweak your workout to propel your results onward and upward.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Its all in the diet. Calories in vs Calories out.

Wait...hormones dont have anything to do with it?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    it's possible to retain lost of water when you first start weight lifting. definitely keep track of your measurements and keep at it because the scale WILL catch up.