Bulky Man Quads on Girls

Options
I have been lifting heavy and am really liking the muscles I see popping up with the exception of my quads. When I flex them or stand straight they are very bulky looking with hard muscle, in a bad way. What machine should I avoid, I don't want them any bigger? Please don't say squats, I really need that one to give me more mass in my a**!!

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you don't want them, I'll take them.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    What leg exercises are you currently doing?

You may be one of the ones that just builds muscle real easy in their legs.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're going at least parallel or lower in your squats (*kitten* to grass) so your quads don't dominate. If you're going only 1/2 or 3/4, you won't be doing much for your bootie, but you'll be maxing out the quads.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
    67559 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have the same problem and I don't know what to do!! Anyone have answers?? :ohwell:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What "machines" are you using? Personally, I would avoid all machines, stick to free weights, and you won't have problems with unbalanced muscle development. If you're doing squats correctly, they should balance out and work the hamstrings, glutes, and quads evenly.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    *kitten* to Grass SQUATS!!! I know you don't want to hear, but make sure you have a wide stance and you go parallel! The closer your feet the more you work quads.. the more wide, the more glutes and hams.. plus squats are really a core exercise so DO EM!!! =D
    67559 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank YOU!!! :happy: :tongue:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    just do glute ham training .. only solution
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I like my man-quads.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Funny, the advo on the right when I posted this had a pic of Shawn Johnson, best looking muscled up thighs around. MMMHMM. Keep the squats and lighten up on the 45 degree leg press. You'll lose a little benefit in the butt though. You might be able to firm up the rest of the femoral area with some adductor and abductor work. More running has leaned mine out considerably even though I'm stronger and pressing more. Darts in the dark really, YMMV.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think you need to embrace your quads, learn to love and appreciate them for the fat-burning, heavy-*kitten* lifting machines that they are:)
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...lower squats to focus on buns. Also add Adductor and abductor excercises.

Are you sure they look bad?

Good luck and keep moving.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Funny, the advo on the right when I posted this had a pic of Shawn Johnson, best looking muscled up thighs around. MMMHMM. Keep the squats and lighten up on the 45 degree leg press. You'll lose a little benefit in the butt though. You might be able to firm up the rest of the femoral area with some adductor and abductor work. More running has leaned mine out considerably even though I'm stronger and pressing more. Darts in the dark really, YMMV.

I was thinking it was the leg press. I will lay off of it for the next month. My squats are *kitten* to the grass, boobies out, butt out. I get props from the guys at the gym lately on my form. I have really been working on it and my butt is slowly getting bigger...yay!! I will get pics up- quads not butt! I sent text pics of my quads to hubby today and asked what he thought about them. I can't write his answer on here but I get the drift that guys dig them but I hate hearing my girlfriends say I have man legs. No bueno.

Can someone give examples of glut-ham training?
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Also keep your weight on your heels for butt workouts; on the toes for quads.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As a fellow bulky-quad girl (I think I'm predisposed to muscular legs), I am loving the *kitten*-to-grass advice. Duly noted!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

I was thinking it was the leg press. I will lay off of it for the next month. My squats are *kitten* to the grass, boobies out, butt out. I get props from the guys at the gym lately on my form. I have really been working on it and my butt is slowly getting bigger...yay!! I will get pics up- quads not butt! I sent text pics of my quads to hubby today and asked what he thought about them. I can't write his answer on here but I get the drift that guys dig them but I hate hearing my girlfriends say I have man legs. No bueno.

Can someone give examples of glut-ham training?

Weighted kick backs. There might be a free form exercise for it but most gyms I've been to have an independent leg machine. There's plenty of weight on the stack and it will kick your butt, literally.
    There's also the enjoyably difficult :sad: glute-ham raise. It's done on a special padded bench but I haven't seen it very often. Nasty
    I would would add Romanian Deadlifts to this list also. Great hamstring work,
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions....think I'd better check my squat form. Thanks, all!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut anything out. Just, as others have said, make sure you are going deep enough on those squats or you will just be hitting your quads. Going *kitten* to grass involves the glutes and hamstrings more.

Also you could do other specific hamstring and glute work to balance it out?