Bulky Man Quads on Girls

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always thought the leg press was a poor substitute for heavy squats... so if you're doing squats, why bother with the leg press?

My gym doesn't have barbells, so I do the leg press, but I make sure I go deep and push from my heels and not my toes. And I :heart: the glute press.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're going at least parallel or lower in your squats (*kitten* to grass) so your quads don't dominate. If you're going only 1/2 or 3/4, you won't be doing much for your bootie, but you'll be maxing out the quads.

this
    make sure you squat properly, so your butt is working, and your quads not so much.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you do not want big quads I would suggest more burning exercises for your quads. Meaning much lower weights and higher reps. You can get great definition and great burns. It may feel boring because the weight is initially light but as your reps increase you will feel the fatique setting in. The problem is not the machines as much as the weight vs reps.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy and am really liking the muscles I see popping up with the exception of my quads. When I flex them or stand straight they are very bulky looking with hard muscle, in a bad way. What machine should I avoid, I don't want them any bigger? Please don't say squats, I really need that one to give me more mass in my a**!!

It's not so much avoiding any exercises. First, I think nice muscular quads on a woman is friggin' hot. The issue is more commonly that the quads get developed and the hamstrings are underdeveloped. Leg work can be pretty simple to be honest. You can do heavy sets of Squats or Deadlifts and then do moderate weight with something like a Walking Lunge and Romanian Deadlifts to balance out your leg muscles.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Weighted kick backs. There might be a free form exercise for it but most gyms I've been to have an independent leg machine. There's plenty of weight on the stack and it will kick your butt, literally.

A machine that literally kicks your butt, you say?

*kitten*_kicker.jpg?w=384&h=258
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    dont' avoid quad excercises. there's no possible way that even in a year or two you could build "bulky" quads.

keep training. If you feel like your legs are getting to big, adjust your diet and lose fat, don't stop building muscle.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    And besides all that... I'd be more inclined to trust your husband's idea of sexy over your girlfriends' ideas of sexy. He's the one who's going to enjoy your legs wrapped around him.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    idk if anyone else said it yet but my trainer has me do lower weight with more reps/sets for the areas that i dont want to add bulk to but i want to keep toned.

so like instead of doing near my max and only getting like 3 sets of ten....ill do like half the weight and just keep doing sets of 10/15/20 (whichever) until i get muscle fatigue....its been working pretty well so far maybe give that a shot.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you want (imo) the mother of butt blasters, try single leg romanian deadlifts with kettle bell or dumbell. The key to engaging the gluts in deadlifts is the hip thrust once the weight is above your knees. Get that down and you will crack walnuts with your butt !
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I sent text pics of my quads to hubby today and asked what he thought about them. I can't write his answer on here but I get the drift that guys dig them.
    I'm sure the hubby appreciates those strong legs :blushing:
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you want (imo) the mother of butt blasters, try single leg romanian deadlifts with kettle bell or dumbell. The key to engaging the gluts in deadlifts is the hip thrust once the weight is above your knees. Get that down and you will crack walnuts with your butt !

Great advice. I will write this down as my goal on my log sheet :laugh:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    And for the love of god, don't listen to the "toning" presence on these forums.
  • Brittonloves
    Options
    I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think you need to embrace your quads, learn to love and appreciate them for the fat-burning, heavy-*kitten* lifting machines that they are:)

THIS
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy and am really liking the muscles I see popping up with the exception of my quads. When I flex them or stand straight they are very bulky looking with hard muscle, in a bad way. What machine should I avoid, I don't want them any bigger? Please don't say squats, I really need that one to give me more mass in my a**!!

Do you have any pics where your quads are visible? What you perceive as bulky may be not perceived as bulky by others. Sometimes we are harder on ourselves than we need to be.

Best wishes and overall, your progress seems terrific!