Diet soda... friend or foe?!?

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to offend anybody who is in the "process of becoming" like I am, but I noticed that the majority of people on this thread who said "FOE" are in killer shape. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and perhaps that translates to fitness too!

Best of health,

Tyler

Funny, I noticed the opposite.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Per my Dr different people handle soda differently... For some ppl the artificial sweetener can actually make them hungery or crave sugar so they eat things that are bad choices...
    I dont think 1 a week will kill anyone. I too am doing more water and I add lemon and a spenda packet to mine to break it up. I also drink a LOT of unsweet tea with lemon and splenda and I use the crystal light or generic version flavor packets on occassion.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There have been no studies to show that aspartame causes cancer or any other illness in humans, only rats. And you'd have to ingest an insane amount of it a day. Again, it shows the "everything in moderation" argument. I would be more concerned about getting illness from pollution in the air, fluorescent lighting, cell phones, or all the sodium fluoride they put in the water than the tiny amount of artificial sweetener I get from drinking 2 cans a day.

And as far has "hindering fat loss goes", I drink 2 cans a day, plus whatever I put in my coffee... still lost 140 pounds.

If you like it, drink it.
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Foe.... I was an addict! I drank and this is no lie 1 - 2 litter a day........... I switched to water and occasional regular and guess what... I have not gain one ounce! Nothing, Nada, and I have actually lost weight!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Come on people! We're not here to poke fun or to be rude, we're here to support each other! There is obviously a lot of controversy over this topic and ultimately the decision is our own... the least we can do is offer our opinions and advice without sounding condescending!!!!

We're not here to support each other. We're here discussing the merits of diet soda. Advice and opinions are meaningless without any facts.

You said diet coke does not come from the earth or space. You said it in a very condescending way. Now before you backtrack and start with the "we're all in this together" talk I would like to know where you thing diet soda comes from.

No backtracking here! :smile: Someone else said it was not of this earth and another commented that it doesn't come from space... I mearly tried to clarify that it comes from neither, but from a laboratory. Last I checked, they don't pull aspartame out of the ground (earth) or from the sky... Not that everything I eat comes from the ground... I will admit there's a ton of artificial colors/flavors etc out there that no one can say is healthy... However, if we can all agree that artificial colors and flavors (and I'm making an assumption here that we can all agree on that, my apologies if you disagree) than how can we think artificial sweeteners would be any different?
    Aspartame is phenylalanine and aspartic acid, a protein chain. That exact same protein chain can be found in chicken, beef, pork, soy, nuts, etc. The only reason it's called "artificial" is because they recreate the compounds in a lab setting, it doesn't mean that it's a compound that doesn't exist in nature, or that we don't eat it in normal food.

Wow, I'll admit, I did not know that! Could it be that because they are found combined, the body treats them in a different manner? For example, I've read (and please do not quote me on this, I am not an expert, just got on a kick about learning about sugars...) that fructose in nature is combined with fruit pectin and remains intact through the digestion process... fructose on it's own is a "poison" and the pectin is the antedote, if you will... So when they say say HFCS is no different from sugar, that's not necessarily true... because it's not combined with pectin. From what I read, the body treats it the same way it treats ethyl alcohol in that it *can* destroy the liver (it just doesn't go to the brain hence no drunk effect). PLEASE do not poke fun, I do not know if this is a fact and I still enjoy foods with HFCS... :smile: Could that be the same with aspartame??
    The stuff you read about fructose is also untrue. Fructose is a naturally occurring monosaccharide that's in thousands of foods, not just fruit. It's converted into glucose by the liver, and the human digestive system is quite well equipped to deal with fructose. The only real negative to fructose is it's an inefficient conversion, so some of the fructose consumed ends up being stored as fat. However, if you are eating at a calorie deficit, or at maintenance, even the fructose that ends up as fat gets burned off, you're body doesn't actually accumulate fat from it.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    From personal observation OVERWEIGHT people drink diet soda. I think there is a correlation so I avoid all soda.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<< never once gave up all regular soda, diet soda, or other 'unhealthy' foods, just practiced moderation, and ended up exceeding my original mfp goals.
    I don't mean to offend anybody who is in the "process of becoming" like I am, but I noticed that the majority of people on this thread who said "FOE" are in killer shape. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and perhaps that translates to fitness too!

Best of health,

Tyler
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Bad bad bad!!!!!!!!!!!! But i drink it too :drinker: It makes me feel better about it to limit it to only one glass a day.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Everyday for I don't know, 15 years maybe more my Dad drank nothing but Diet 'Crack' and Iced Tea laced with Equal!

Two years ago he was diagnosed with a stomach full of cancer and died 21 days later....

Just sayin.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    From personal observation OVERWEIGHT people drink diet soda. I think there is a correlation so I avoid all soda.

^^^^^ Pretty sure the OVERWEIGHT people got that way from eating way too much food and consuming way too many calories. IMO...diet pop does not make you fat. Do I think it's good for you? No.. it's full of chemicals but it hasn't stopped me from drinking it.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options

Agree. There was a recent study released that said that people who drink diet pop are more likely to be over weight than people who drink regular. I just made the switch to water and stuck with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The ways they make it 0 calorie is disgusting...If it's not from the earth you shouldn't be putting it into your body. Why not try some Green Tea or flavored Green Tea. No Calories, and has properties that help boost Metabolism and weight loss.

+ it tastes good.

I agree! Your liver is not meant to filter out this stuff...
    Yeah, it chooses what it wants to filter out.......................:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    53128470574386924_gGsgLOHH_f.jpg
    Lol, this is for regular soda.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sodas = foes. No matter how you look at it, they're chemicals. Drink water or juice.
    And juice and water are not? They are both "chemically bonded".

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    The ways they make it 0 calorie is disgusting...If it's not from the earth you shouldn't be putting it into your body. Why not try some Green Tea or flavored Green Tea. No Calories, and has properties that help boost Metabolism and weight loss.

+ it tastes good.

I take exception with this. There's nothing wrong with partaking, in moderation, of things that modern science has provided. Many things "not from the earth" extend our life expectancy many times that of our pre-civilization ancestors. Just because something is made of science instead of patchouli doesn't mean it's evil. But everything in moderation. A few diet sodas aren't going to harm you.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    sometimes i just get sick of drinking water so 1-2 times a week i will have a diet drink of some kind, hasn't hurt me, but if it is an addiction then clearly it is not worth it
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Best of health,

Tyler
    Good to know that I'm the exception...................along with my clients.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Then again, from personal observation only I see overweight people drinking diet soda with their Big Mac's and large FF. Just sayin.j
    I'm in the moderation mindset. and most definately friend if it also contains Captain Morgan on a Friday night :)
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    one thing i will say is that an excess of carbonated drinks play HAVOC with your teeth.
  • HausOfTina
    HausOfTina Posts: 92
    Options
    you are all talking about diet soda like it's the devil.

Drink in moderation.