Diet soda... friend or foe?!?

Options

Replies

• jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    It has zero calories, but the artificial sweeteners block growth hormones. Stasticicly your chances of becoming or staying obese jump up 50% when drinking diet soda.

People will have opinions, but statistics are statistics. Nothing's free in life. If it tastes good, and there's no calories, then there's something else that's gotta pay for it. It's also the 4th in a line of sweeteners! The previous three banned from other generations.

My bet's that they still don't have it right. Instead of diet sodas try a healthy meal replacement drink with some fruit, ice, whey protein powder etc. Or a post workout recovery drink. Other than that drink water! Your body will thank you!

I never heard it blocks growth hormones before... can you please link a source I would love to read about it.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think diet soda tastes like crap so I don't drink it. I have a regular soda every once in a while.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I drink diet every now and then but artificial sweeteners tend to give me headaches and mess my stomach up. From what I know, they aren't very good for you, but there's a lot of stuff that's not "good" for you that I think is okay in moderation. As long as you're not drinking gallons of the stuff, I think a diet soda every now and then is fine if you like it and it doesn't give you issues. Use your own judgement!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think it is up to you and what you want. My doctor told me that if I must drink soda she would prefer I drink the real stuff and not diet anything, including crystal light etc. I drink one REAL can of Mt. Dew a day. :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It has zero calories, but the artificial sweeteners block growth hormones. Stasticicly your chances of becoming or staying obese jump up 50% when drinking diet soda.
    Please post a peer reviewed clinical study backing this claim. Not a blog, article or opinion, but an actual study that verifies it. I for one would love to read it.
    Statistics show that if you drive, your chances of getting into a driving accident are 100% compared to someone that doesn't drive at all. So since statistics don't lie, to avoid all driving accidents, people should stop driving. See how that works?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking nothing but water for the past two weeks and this morning I couldn't take it anymore! I got a diet soda out of the vending machine. Zero calories, zero carbs and 85mg of sodium. Can someone tell me if its okay to drink diet sodas???

I loved diet drinks. All I can say is, I drank sometimes two litres per day and when I stopped using it like water I lost more weight and my cellulite disappeared.

If you drink the 8 glasses of water a day then you won't be harmed by an occasional diet drink. Personnally, I'm glad I kicked it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would look into a nutritionist. I work in healthcare and do not advocate for WebMD, there are too many variables from person to person and people don't know what to look for.
    Talk with someone who is an expert on nutrition, I'd ask friends and family if there is anyone they recommend. Just make sure that person has the training and credentials to back themselves up.
    On a personal note I drink diet coke, usually about 1 a day and I am fine and I also agree with everything in moderation.
    A dietician would be a better choice since a nutritionist can just claim to be one. A dietician needs a license.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Brianne61292
    Brianne61292 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a nutrition major, I would never advise anyone to drink diet soda. It is sweetened using aspartame, which has actually been outlawed in a few countries. It has been linked to everything from weight gain to stomach ulcers. It is definitely no friend of mine. However that said, having one once in a great while probably will not have any huge impact on your health. Just do not make a habit of it. If you are sick of water try squeezing some lemon in water,or making berry flavored water.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I read an article written by a biologist/chemist who stated that the second your tongue tastes something sweet, it send a signal to your brain to make more insulin. Once the artificial sugar hits your system and your body realizes it's not actual sugar, you'll begin to crave sugar because you have to put all that insulin to good use! I'm no biologist, so I cannot tell you the acuracy of that statement, but what I can tell you is that artificial sugar is just that- artificial. You'd be surprised how much remains in your body because your body doesn't know what to do with it. To each their own, but I would highly suggest that you pay close attention to your body while eating/drinking any artificial sweeteners~ everyone reacts differently and some people are highly sensitive!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It harms your body in so many ways from the chemical and the artificial ****.
    Really? Citric acid is in fruits. Phenylalaine is in breast milk. Caffeine is in coffee. They must be bad too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    The ways they make it 0 calorie is disgusting...If it's not from the earth you shouldn't be putting it into your body. Why not try some Green Tea or flavored Green Tea. No Calories, and has properties that help boost Metabolism and weight loss.

+ it tastes good.

I didn't realize they get stuff from outter space to make diet sodas.

Dude, sweet!! Now I wanna drink more, see if I can maybe mutate into some kind of human-alien hybrid! How sick would that be!? :drinker:
  • WaxMama
    Options
    As a nutrition major, I would never advise anyone to drink diet soda. It is sweetened using aspartame, which has actually been outlawed in a few countries. It has been linked to everything from weight gain to stomach ulcers.

Well said. The concequences *can* be enormous. It's worth looking into how it was passed by the FDA, too.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I read , on the internet , that diet soda makes your head explode
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    sodas and diet sodas..... they are both chemical
    basically once it's in your body.... your body will need to eliminate it.
    so putting on weight or not, it's just not helping you.

just like swallowing chewing gum.....it will come out again .... but what's the point?

** When are you going to start HELPING your body? **
    stop relying on what supermarkets offer, go for the healthy stuff is my advice, water green tea, homemade fruit juices
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I read , on the internet , that diet soda makes your head explode

And I proved that a page back.
  • WaxMama
    Options
    The ways they make it 0 calorie is disgusting...If it's not from the earth you shouldn't be putting it into your body. Why not try some Green Tea or flavored Green Tea. No Calories, and has properties that help boost Metabolism and weight loss.

+ it tastes good.

lol Ummm it's made in a laboratory, which is neither from the earth (as in the ground!) or from outer space. Just to clear that up!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I should say - I don't personally partake in food that was invented within the past 50 years. If diet soda is worth a lot to you, then drink it. I have a lot of vices (beer, wine, desserts, etc) but it's NOT worth it to me to value taste over health.

You also should recognize the fact that companies like Coke pay a lot of money to organizations such as the American Heart Organization in order to feature their products in healthy ways.

http://m.dietcoke.com/hearttruth/

Diet Coke may not actually be poison, but does it actually promote heart health? Of course not. The Coca Cola corporation wants to appeal to health-conscious people without actually having a healthy product. They do so by selling you the idea that their corporation is behind health initiatives.

It's not a conspiracy theory. As a consumer, it's important to recognize the strategies involved in get you to purchase the food you eat and drink.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    lol Ummm it's made in a laboratory, which is neither from the earth (as in the ground!) or from outer space. Just to clear that up!

This is going to sound rude, but I can't help it.

This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options

+ it tastes good.

Dude, sweet!! Now I wanna drink more, see if I can maybe mutate into some kind of human-alien hybrid! How sick would that be!? :drinker:

What if you would mutate in a skippy ball shaped alien with tiny legs and arm and you wouldn't be able to move around because your knees are too weak to carry your weight and your hart is about to explode
  • Sapph1re
    Sapph1re Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!!!