Diet soda... friend or foe?!?

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    One more for 'Friend.'
    It has zero calories, but the artificial sweeteners block growth hormones. Stasticicly your chances of becoming or staying obese jump up 50% when drinking diet soda.

Some evidence to support that claim would be fantastic.

I came here to say this also.

"Block growth hormones" "increase cravings" "cause cancer" - all you folks with these claims, put yer money where yer mouth is and back it up with some studies.

Otherwise you've no more credibility than the frothy-mouthed wild-haired dude in the quad standing on a box and shouting about aliens and armageddon.

[edit]

WHICH is not to say you're not in your rights to avoid it yourself. But don't try to convince others of something that's not demonstrably true. I could say that it makes you grow three arms and your skin turn purple because I know a guy whose cousin saw it on TV, but that doesn't make it true.
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As far as friend or foe for the diet soda - I agree with doing your own research. It really depends on how you view your body and personal health program: only pure and natural foods/drinks vs. a little bit of anything in moderation. If you drank it as a way to get something else than water, there are lots of options. The flavors of caffeine free herbal teas are endless. Make a pitcher of iced tea at home, pour in an extra water bottle and take with you during the day to drink when you get sick of just water. If you're looking for a little pick-me-up, there are plenty of other teas that do have a little caffeine. Also, keep a bottle of real lemon juice in your fridge. When you fill your water bottle in the morning, squirt a little lemon juice in the water. Not only will it give you a little flavor, but lemon juice has been shown to provide a little boost to the metabolic system - a good reason to drink lemon water in the morning. Also, for a fizzy drink with some flavor (but without the caffeine or chemicals), try seltzer. Cans or bottles make it easy to take on the go - just make sure that if you are drinking a fruit flavored seltzer, it is natural flavoring and does not have sugar. Some of cheap store brands add artificial flavors and sugar!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It isn't really good for you...but there is a lot of thigns we do (or dont do) that isn't good for us. I believe in moderation... We gotta let ourselves live a little.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I only have two heads. You'll be fine.

P.S. You're gonna get a whole bunch of different answers, all backed up with good or lousy science, anecdotal evidence, or simple make-believe, and you're gonna have an even harder time knowing what to believe. And googling it will give you even more answers and scary not-scientific baloney.. I suggest you go to reputable websites like the Mayo Clinic or WebMD, read what they have to say, think about it, list the pros and cons of partaking, and choose to drink or not drink.

Diet Soda will give you Super AIDS. Don't drink it.

<3
  • serhanilker
    serhanilker Posts: 15
    Options
    Diet soda is NOT really that much better for you. Even though you'd think fewer calories is a step in the right direction, diet soda is linked even more closely to obesity than regular soda. One study revealed that people who drank at least one diet soda every day had a 23% greater chance of becoming overweight than who downed one regular soda.

The science isn't fully understand yet but aertificial sweeteners are thought to be the main culprit. emerging rersearch suggests that consuming sugary-tasting beverages, even if they contain no calories, may lead to high preference for sweetness overall and that diet drinkers have an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Plus, those going no-cal with their sodas may unconsciously give themselves permision to eat a little more than they should at other times.

After all this, it's up to you, drink water or diet soda?

Cheers
    S
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I vote for foe- though I am not saying I never have a diet soda because I do - occasionally- maybe 5 a year.. having said that though..nutritionally diet soda is pretty bankrupt- nothing good in it.. what is it about diet soda you like? the caffeine, the fizz, the taste? caffeine can easily be replaced by iced tea, coffee etc,, the fizz I have to admit is the bigeest draw for me.. but now I drink sparkling water with a little lemon.. but you can use other juices.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You can't escape ALL that's unhealthy. Just eat/drink the "bad" things in moderation and you'll be fine.

Love this!!

You can find all kinds of 'Science' that supports and destroys junk food and healthy foods. I can find 10K website that tell you running is bad, milk is not good, meat will kill you and you can't live on vegetables... It's all crap if you ask me!

I pick my poisons, so if I drink a diet soda, or eat ice cream and pizza, or decide to have a salad - if it meets my goals of being healthy and losing weight - I say its ALL good!

If you deprive yourself of little simple things, you will crash and not meet your goals... On the other hand, if you stick with it 80-90% of the time, in the long run you will be successful!

*raises a Diet Coke to you!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking nothing but water for the past two weeks and this morning I couldn't take it anymore! I got a diet soda out of the vending machine. Zero calories, zero carbs and 85mg of sodium. Can someone tell me if its okay to drink diet sodas???

Foe. Water and unsweet tea is all for me.

It might be 0 calories. But it's all fake scientifically made ingredients.
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    Its definitely MY friend because it keeps me awake all day and its probably YOUR friend, because if you cross me when I haven't had a diet Coke in a while.....watch out!! :laugh:
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I only drink it with vodka ;p
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I gave up all pop, cold turkey, beginning of 2012. And I was a diet soda lush! I wish I had given it up long time ago! I feel so much better without it!! I drink water. Lots and lots of water!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    One every now and then as a treat is probably not a bad thing?

However, as a way to stay hydrated - FOE!

There are some nasty chemicals in diet sodas!

As an aside - do you drink tea?

I have been trying green tea and chai tea a try every now and then when I want something different than water. The taste is slowly growing on me.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    My grandma, the one living grandparent I have left, has always said, "Everything in moderation," and has truly lives what she preaches. She's 85 years old, out taking walks every single day, and can out-hike my mom when they vacation in national parks out west.

Personally, I think diet soda, or regular soda, is fine in moderation. Just like most food stuffs are. There's no way I ever totally gave up things like ice cream, soda, or potato chips, and I somehow still managed to lose 66 lbs.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Even too much of things that come from the earth can be bad for you. As many say, all in moderation.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is 99% water, and is far less acidic than your own stomach acid. I've been drinking it like water for years. Never had a cavity or any problem whatsoever.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I went both ways, when I began the journey, I purged diet soda, all soda.. but then i got sick of water ALL the time.. I got sick of green tea ALL the time.. I don't care for crystal light.. Now I'm on a binge of Diet peach Snapple, I drink it about 2-3 times a week. I haven't died yet and if I do so; I will be sure to let you know so you can watch out!!

I wonder how many of our "everything healthy" people eat candy, smoke ciggs, drink alcohol, or have other vices that they leave out of this catergory.. Me, this is it,my vice is food and drink, I cycle food and bevrages.. This month it's diet snapple, next monthIi may crave a slice of pizza 3-4 times a week, but I will always fit it in.. *shrugs* sue me.. seems to me a life of depravity is a sure road to failure eventually. I refuse to run screaming from foods or drinks or sit unhappy and and sad silently yearning.

I view it like life.. everything has a cost.. determine its cost and worth to you and act accordingly.. No one else pays the price for what you do but you.. enjoy!!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've been back and forth on diet soda. Whenever I start drinking it again I feel worse than when I drink water. I'm on day 3 without it right now and I can already tell a difference. I know they say it makes you crave carbs... that it doesn't... it does, etc. I know for me when I have it I crave junk food. That might be psychological because it seems whenever you have junk food you have soda with it. I know the more diet soda I drink the more my running suffers. So back to no diet soda.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

That... was... AWESOME!

I did not know that phosphoric acid (present in both regular AND diet colas, btw) will decrease bone density.

I did suspect that "diet soda leads to obesity' was more correlative than causative. (The author calls it the 'Two big macs and a diet coke' approach.)

But I did NOT realize that Purdue University tested artificial sweeteners on mice and found "a small but statistically significant increase of body weight gain." Hmmm... food -or drink- for thought.

Thank you for some honest research!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Drinking diet coke will turn you into and obese, sugar craving monster, but diet cherry pepsi with some rum in it will make all of your troubles disappear - just sayin'