Female lifters: YOU WILL NOT LOOK THIS WAY!

Options

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Amen - I am working on getting there. I am slowly increasing my weights and starting to brave free weights (they intimidate me). I am lifting heavier than I ever have before, but thanks for sharing this.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Two weeks of lifting has changed my abs more than months of cardio. And I don't do a lot of ab work. Its those dumbbell and barbell moves that engage my core to move that heavy weight.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not only is it almost impossible for woman to BULK up. It would take years of very hard work. Your program could be stopped or altered at anytime you are not happy with the results.
    "Bulking up" requires testosterone. which women don't have enough of. It IS impossible unless they take steroids.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Not only is it almost impossible for woman to BULK up. It would take years of very hard work. Your program could be stopped or altered at anytime you are not happy with the results.
    "Bulking up" requires testosterone. which women don't have. It IS impossible unless they take steroids.

Not to nick pick, but yes, we do have testosterone, just a lot less than men have.
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why would you *want* to look like that?
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I will say...she isn't attractive AT ALL!!! Women are supposed to have curves not muscles like that. She must really like chicken, sweet potatoes, and broccoli - that is ALL she eats. Craziness!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and I love that my husband pushes me to lift heavy. I also love the looks the guys at the gym give me when I'm reaching for the heavy weights or loading the plates on to the smith press to do my squats.
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Aww man, I feel for her. She sounds so sweet too. I really hope she meets someone who can make her happy. :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    "Bulking up" requires testosterone. which women don't have. It IS impossible unless they take steroids.

Not to nick pick, but yes, we do have testosterone, just a lot less than men have.
    Hehe, was going to say exactly this. Also, totally agree with the first quoted post. It's not like you're going to a) put on massive amounts of muscle after one lifting session and b) keep it forever. You have to work to maintain muscle as well as build it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    too true, a lot of women are starting to lift in the gym I go to now, results will be impressive if you lift

You mean, we agree on something?
    Thank you for posting this! I wish this myth wasn't still floating about that you're going to end up with big huge man muscles just by lifting some weight! It takes time, effort and lots and lots of food to "bulk up" Even then, you won't look close to that without some form of hormonal "help"

I have a local MFP friend who just fired her trainer. She told him her goals, and that she wanted to lift. He set her to doing ALL sorts of other crap for two weeks. When she finally told him 'Why am I not doing any upper body other than stupid high reps with light weight, and NO barbell work?'...her replied with 'Because you don't want to bulk up like a man, right?'. When she confronted the manager about the whole mess, he told her that that kind of lifting was for men, and stick to the machines and light weight/high reps lol.

She's in process of finding a new trainer who will work with stronglifts, and only correct her form.
    Girls.. Lifting heavy will will get you lean and toned, and give you the body you want...

I don't have a problem with lifting, but lifting won't "give me the body I want". Unless there's a lift that will make my huge gut shrink to flatness, I'm stuck with what my parents gave me.

Umm, that's why a large majority of us lift heavy...to get rid of the belly fat. ALL the lifts get rid of huge guts (assuming a healthy diet). Heavy, compound lifts tell your body to do stupidly incredible things to your body fat...and that's what your gut is made of, whether it be genetic, or not.

It's still fat.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Hehe, was going to say exactly this. Also, totally agree with the first quoted post. It's not like you're going to a) put on massive amounts of muscle after one lifting session and b) keep it forever. You have to work to maintain muscle as well as build it.
    My point was about the steroids.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it not look like her head belongs on that body? I almost looks like it was superimposed on a picture of a guy.
    I thought the same thing. Looks like somebody just stuck her head on someone else's body.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Girls.. Lifting heavy will will get you lean and toned, and give you the body you want...

I don't have a problem with lifting, but lifting won't "give me the body I want". Unless there's a lift that will make my huge gut shrink to flatness, I'm stuck with what my parents gave me.

Your huge gut (your words) won't shrink because it's genetic?
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    after I started lifting my sex drive seriously increased .. I know for me this is fact ,.... has this happened with my other female lifters as well? or is it because I am in my mid-thirties..? LOL. serious though.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I am scared to lift heavy. I just keep thinking all the muscle will grow in my bum only and I will turn into a rock hard big bummed pear instead of a soft squidgy one :noway: True story... :embarassed:
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I will say...she isn't attractive AT ALL!!! Women are supposed to have curves not muscles like that. She must really like chicken, sweet potatoes, and broccoli - that is ALL she eats. Craziness!!!

Let's try not to be insulting. That's obviously a look she wants and is happy with. And we can't say what a woman is "supposed" to look like. We can look like however we want, and that's what she wants.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    after I started lifting my sex drive seriously increased .. I know for me this is fact ,.... has this happened with my other female lifters as well? or is it because I am in my mid-thirties..? LOL. serious though.

Uh, yes, but I was thinking it was increased confidence....
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I am scared to lift heavy. I just keep thinking all the muscle will grow in my bum only and I will turn into a rock hard big bummed pear instead of a soft squidgy one :noway: True story... :embarassed:

I'm a pear. My butt is still plenty squishy (which I don't like).
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Not alone it wont.. and your are NOT STUCK!!!! You need to change something... it takes time and effort. Maybe this can give ya a little motivation..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/13/ernestine-shepard-74-year_n_644607.html
    http://spotmebro.com/5-badass-bodybuilders-over-70-years-old/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/13/ernestine-shepard-74-year_n_644607.html
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Umm, that's why a large majority of us lift heavy...to get rid of the belly fat. ALL the lifts get rid of huge guts (assuming a healthy diet). Heavy, compound lifts tell your body to do stupidly incredible things to your body fat...and that's what your gut is made of, whether it be genetic, or not.

It's still fat.

This is really hard for those that have a "lot" to lose to get their heads around, though. So I can see why she'd say that. I've been here long enough and read enough to finally get it myself... but I can see why she'd think it's counter-intuitive....