I'm 47% of the man I used to be, my two year journey!

Options

Replies

• nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    absolutely stunning!!
    great dedication!!!
  • 30musha30
    30musha30 Posts: 114
    Options
    You looking amazing!!!!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hard to believe you are the same person ... I bet you don't feel like the same person at all .... absolutely fantastic!
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I got to give you a huge CONGRATULATIONS. That is a amazing transformation. You and I have similar goals, as I am 6'7 and started at 377. My initial goal was 260, but I just weighed in at 256 and am still not happy, yet. I can only hope I'll be as lean as you at around 235~240. Again, congratulations your hardwork has really payed off.
  • rasp12
    rasp12 Posts: 17
    Options
    What a wonderful success to share!
  • hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    so amazing !!!!!!!!!!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    As of this week, I've hit my latest weight loss goal, and I will probably stick at this weight for a while.

I've always been big, both height and weight. In March of 2010 at the age of 37, I weighed 490lbs at 6'6" tall. Several things came together at that point in time to finally make me realize that if I wanted to be around for my kids and wife, and set a good example for them, I needed to make some changes and I needed to make them now!

I started watching what I was eating and starting getting up early in the morning several days a week to go walking. First 2 miles, then 3, then 4. In April I started using the workout room at work in the afternoon to lift for 20 minutes or so, 3 days a week. By June, I had lost about 25 lbs.

In June, my wife got us a family membership to Orchard Hills Athletic club, and then things really started to click. I started hitting the gym 4 days a week, doing cardio and heavy lifting. I also started watching what I was eating more closely, and was limiting my calories to 2200-2500 a day, with as much protein as I could get. Within 4 months I was going 5 days a week, and between cardio and lifting, I was putting in 2+ hours a day at the gym. By December 30th 2010 I had already lost 100 lbs and was down to 390lbs. With this regime I was losing between 2.5 and 3 lbs a week!

In April of 2011, I ran my first full mile (at 340lbs), and started building up my running millage as well as hitting the gym, reaching 6 miles running by July. In August of 2011 I ran my first 5k in 38 minutes, and did another in October in 32 minutes.

It was September of 2011 when I hit my original goal of losing 220lbs, for a weight of 270lbs. When I started, I had a hard time imagining I would even get here. When I saw how much extra weight I was still carrying, I set a new goal of 245lbs, which would be half of my starting weight. I reached the 245lbs goal in December of 2011, and then 240lbs in January of 2012. I stayed at 240 for 2 months, but then decided I still had some more to lose, and set my sites on 230lbs, for a total loss of 260lbs.

I reached 230lbs this past week! The last 10lbs came off much slower, but that was intentional, as I didn't want to give up any of the muscle I have worked so hard to build up during these 2 years. I went from a size 62 pant to currently wearing a size 36. My chest has gone from 60 inches to a solid 46.5. My arms from 21 to a solid 15.5". I'll be 40 at the end of this month, and I'm in the best shape of my life!

I still go to the gym 5 days a week, for roughly 2 hours at a time. I do about 35 minutes of cardio, and the rest is heavy lifting on 4 day split. I also run 2 or 3 times a week, usually 5 or 6 miles at an 8:40 per mile or so pace. I did a 5k this past weekend in 25:52!

While going from 240lbs to 230lbs, I was eating 3,600 calories a day, with about 250g of protein. MFP was great for tracking this. Now that I hit 230, I've upped it to 3,800 calories, and will up it another 200 if I keep losing.
    The difference this has made in my life has been amazing. I haven't weighed this little since junior high school, and I was much shorter then. I have so much more energy now, and feel so much better about myself, so much more confident. My kids have picked up my healthier habits as well, and we are a healthier family now. My wife has lost 40lbs so far as well.

Just wanted to share this with everyone, and let you know that with hard work and determination, it can be done. You've just got to want it and work for it, and it will happen!

Enough Rambling, here are some pictures:

Here is me at 490lbs at Disney World:
    490lbs.JPG

Here is me in December of 2010 at 390lbs:
    390lbs.JPG

This is when I hit 270lbs:
    260lbs.jpg

245lbs with my old pants (Size 62 to size 38 in this picture)
    245lbs_old_pants.JPG

These are me at 230!
    230lbs_1.JPG

230lbs_2.JPG

YOU LOOK AMAZING! Oh my gosh! Your transformation is so inspirational and wonderful! Congratulations!
    230lbs_3.JPG

This is a collage of pictures from start to finish that I took with my webcam:
    6_pictures_small.jpg
  • raggyanndoll
    raggyanndoll Posts: 176
    Options
    Very inspiring! i am so glad that your family is participating too! This really helps when your companion is working on healthy habits too!

Thank you for sharing!
  • cole_37
    cole_37 Posts: 10
    Options
    You look incredible! Congrats on all that weight lost.
  • JohnCOConnor
    Options
    BigMech wrote:

"I still go to the gym 5 days a week, for roughly 2 hours at a time. I do about 35 minutes of cardio, and the rest is heavy lifting on 4 day split. I also run 2 or 3 times a week, usually 5 or 6 miles at an 8:40 per mile or so pace. I did a 5k this past weekend in 25:52!

While going from 240lbs to 230lbs, I was eating 3,600 calories a day, with about 250g of protein. MFP was great for tracking this. Now that I hit 230, I've upped it to 3,800 calories, and will up it another 200 if I keep losing."

Wow
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You Look Incredible! Like a whole new man
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    hhoooly crap man! that is amazing!!! deff good job and dedication! and all this in just 2 years!!!

way to show it to the ppl that make excuses about age,work,time, or anything else!!! all it is.. is self diciplin and you have to want it bad enough
  • bck80
    bck80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :drinker: waaaaaaooooooooooooow!! i am speachless Gongrats !
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    :noway: That's the most amazing thing I've ever seen! Wow! :drinker:
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    your kids have the greatest role model they could ever ask for Congratulations, also your wife must be enjoying you more as well !
  • erbrem
    erbrem Posts: 1
    Options
    Amazing! This is so impressive!!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow. That is amazing.
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed and inspired by your progress, thank you for sharing.
  • michellevine1
    michellevine1 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story. SO inspiring. Its quite a transformation that you did. You should be VERY proud of yourself.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is true dedication! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!