Can too much cardio kill your metabolism?

Options
13»

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Cardio is useful for heart and lungs. Endurance.

Lifting is useful for strength and bone density.

Both are beneficial, however it is difficult to train hard in one without the other suffering; eg: you will not run a marathon well while adding weight on the bar on your off days, nor will you win a powerlifting contest while training for Ironman.

There isn't a "best" exercise contest going on--don't forget the fun factor!

Just because I love lifting heavy and adding weight on that bar consistently, doesn't mean I don't also love the endurance challenge of riding a century, the pure joy of paddlebaording out on the water on a glorious sunny day, or spending an evening salsa dancing.

Multifaceted people are more interesting. And meatheads have arms that stick out strangely from their body when they walk. JMO.
  • chelseaflorez
    chelseaflorez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got some good info here. Tons of cardio worked for me about 8 years ago.. now that i'm 41... things have changed ha ha ha I need to UP my calories apparently and cut back at least one day on the cardio. I wasn' the one who asked the initial question... but got the answers I needed . Thanks.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Wait.

So this thread thinks that cardio doesn't help weight loss.

o-MO-FARAH-570.jpg?6
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    which I understand, but my problem is it's my job. I'm a stay at home mom, and teaching group ex is how I help contribute monetarily so it's not like I'm just putting my foot down to be stubborn. I stop the classes, I stop the income.
    Then be an "instructor". You DON'T have to do the class. Show the movement and "walk" the class. That's what an instructor should do. If you're making the class your workout, then how are instructing if someone has bad form? Are you physically walking over and making corrections? Or are you cueing them?
    I instruct kickboxing and walk the class. My own workout, I do on my own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm pretty sure with Body Pump ( les mills programs) she CAN'T "walk" the class. She HAS to DO the workout. She could use less weight on her bar, but more than likely, participants will notice and probably not be as motivated to "load up" their own......
    I teach Group Power (which is basically the same as Body Pump. I actually do weights on my own at least once a week and/or go to a boot camp class. My body is so used to Power classes, I just don't get the same benefit anymore. I have to do other stuff.
    Good thing that I don't instruct BodyPump then.:laugh: I teach a strength class (although it's still the plastic weights) and try to encourage participants to use as much weight a possible for each exercise. And I start with exercises that use the heaviest weights first (legs and back) then then we strip it down as we progress to smaller body parts.
    But I still walk the class. I show, then have them do it while I count. Our job should be to assist in correct form and execution with members since that's what they pay and attend for. Every week I'm adjusting people on exercises I introduce (each week I have a different workout). Moving hands apart, flattening out backs, teaching proper breathing, etc. And I'm more than sure it's appreciated because the class is always packed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition