If you are scared to increase calories

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I have set my calories to 1800. I am trying to create an exercise routine, but am not always consistant with it. I work at Starbucks 4 days a week. My TDEE is apparently 2303, BMR 1675.

So if I eat 1800, burn off 400, I can't eat those 400 back?

It depends on how you set your TDEE. If your set your TDEE above sedentary, then you would eat the calories back. If you set it to light or moderate, then that activity is included in the TDEE calculation, so you wouldn't eat them back.

Mine is set to light. It's confusing, though, because if one day, I eat 1800. Then the next I eat 1800, burn off 400, then eat those 400 back, leading me back to a net of 1800, what difference does it make? *confused*
  • DanceAunt
    DanceAunt Posts: 3
    Options
    Is there a way to manually modify your goals on MFP? MFP has my goal set at 1200 calories but the calculators say I should be consuming 1377 calories.
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • halcionne
    halcionne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kgreenlaker
    Kgreenlaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What if you can't lift weights for 6 months due to recent surgery
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to manually modify your goals on MFP? MFP has my goal set at 1200 calories but the calculators say I should be consuming 1377 calories.

My Home->Goals->Change Goals->Custom->Save
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have set my calories to 1800. I am trying to create an exercise routine, but am not always consistant with it. I work at Starbucks 4 days a week. My TDEE is apparently 2303, BMR 1675.

So if I eat 1800, burn off 400, I can't eat those 400 back?

It depends on how you set your TDEE. If your set your TDEE above sedentary, then you would eat the calories back. If you set it to light or moderate, then that activity is included in the TDEE calculation, so you wouldn't eat them back.

Mine is set to light. It's confusing, though, because if one day, I eat 1800. Then the next I eat 1800, burn off 400, then eat those 400 back, leading me back to a net of 1800, what difference does it make? *confused*

I'm just really just getting into this, but I believe you only eat exercise calories back if your net is below your calculated BMR. At least that seemed to be what was indicated in the Eat More to Weigh Less stickies. Of course, someone with actual experience in doing this might want to confirm that.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This confuses me. So my bmr is 1578, and it has me eating 2522 at moderately active, it seems by eating more than my bmr i would gain weight.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I tried this a week ago, and after one day, I was so full from all the food that it freaked me out. I don't know if I have the guts to keep it up. It seems like so much food. It's 1,000 more calories PER DAY, than I eat now. Geez. But, maybe that is why I can't shave off the last bit that I'd like to lose. I went through the calculator on the site and found my body fat %. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Its kinda scary.
  • grimm1974
    Options
    This confuses me. So my bmr is 1578, and it has me eating 2522 at moderately active, it seems by eating more than my bmr i would gain weight.

I'm no expert by a long shot on this stuff, but this one I do know. You are confusing your BMR with your TDEE.

BMR = the minimum number of calories you need to provide your body with enough energy to function correctly.

TDEE = the maximum number of calories you can eat and maintain your current weight.

TDEE will always be larger than your BMR. So, eating above your BMR should not make you gain weight. Eating above your TDEE will eventually cause you to put on weight.
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I'm no expert by a long shot on this stuff, but this one I do know. You are confusing your BMR with your TDEE.

BMR = the minimum number of calories you need to provide your body with enough energy to function correctly.

TDEE = the maximum number of calories you can eat and maintain your current weight.

TDEE will always be larger than your BMR. So, eating above your BMR should not make you gain weight. Eating above your TDEE will eventually cause you to put on weight.

ok I think I understand that, thank you for explaining it to me. Like someone else said, the idea is really scary. I've been spending all this time freaking out over everything I put in my mouth making sure I stay under 1500, and according to this I should eat 1000 more cals a day, that just automatically screams weight gain you know? Maybe I'll try it, I do admit I'm all for being able to eat more lol I'm just so scared to lose the progress I've made so far.
  • mblackburn23
    Options
    d
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Based on what I am reading here, it sounds like I might see weight gain in the first couple of weeks, but then I should start seeing a downward trend. Is this correct?

Has anyone consistently increased weight doing this, and what adjustments did you make to get it to go the other way?

Let's just say that I am very skeptical about this. And, I know when I get on the scale and see my weight increase, I am going to be angry. If after a month, it's still going up, then what?
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used the body fat percentage calculator you listed, it is horribly wrong. 23% more than the calculator on my scales.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I up'd my calories on April 9th. I gained 4 lbs within 2 weeks. The following week I lost those 4 lbs plus an extra 3. I started to strength train every other day for 30 minutes and I alter that with 30 minutes of cardio. I've lost inches all over. I try to eat about 2300-2500 calories a day.

The group eat more to weigh less really helped me.

Do you happen to have the link to the eat more group? I have been looking for it!
  • grimm1974
    Options
    I up'd my calories on April 9th. I gained 4 lbs within 2 weeks. The following week I lost those 4 lbs plus an extra 3. I started to strength train every other day for 30 minutes and I alter that with 30 minutes of cardio. I've lost inches all over. I try to eat about 2300-2500 calories a day.

The group eat more to weigh less really helped me.

Do you happen to have the link to the eat more group? I have been looking for it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • imsocorkyy
    imsocorkyy Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh god. I just did it and based on the activity level I do, I should apparently be eating between 2000-2200 cals a day.

:0

I'm afraid to trust it...
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The numbers are starting to make more sense for me now.
    I had my cal set at 1300. I would eat an extra 300 for breastfeeding an older baby, and burn about 200-300 a day.
    So really, it's about the same if I set it at 1800 (my TDEE and allotted cal are about 2000)
  • bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I checked my numbers on Fat2fitradio and my BMR is 1254 and TDEE (assuming that's the number if I use their "How many calories should I eat" calculator) is 1493.
    I entered that I was sedentary since I have a desk job and I am a sporadic exerciser. Should I eat 1493 and eat back my exercise calories on workout days? Will I lose weight with that number of calories or should I reduce it slightly?