If you are scared to increase calories

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I checked my numbers on Fat2fitradio and my BMR is 1254 and TDEE (assuming that's the number if I use their "How many calories should I eat" calculator) is 1493.
    I entered that I was sedentary since I have a desk job and I am a sporadic exerciser. Should I eat 1493 and eat back my exercise calories on workout days? Will I lose weight with that number of calories or should I reduce it slightly?

Sporadic exercisers should go with BMR + exercise calories.

Am I understanding it right that you're saying that sporadic exercisers shouldn't go with sedentary TDEE, but instead purely with BMR + eat back exercise calories? :S There's a pretty big difference between the two figures.

Nonsense. You still move around a little bit as Sedentary. You also digest and think. That takes calories.

Sedentary TDEE + (75% for error/90% with HRM) Exercise Cals.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Can someone please advise me how to add more calories in to my day?

I currently eat 1200 6 days a week.

Today I have eaten:
    2 eggs & two slices of bacon
    Tin of tuna
    A chicken breast with salad (lettuce, capsicum, cucumber, beetroot, pineapple, celery)
    Low carb banana protein muffin
    30 g almonds
    Pork chilli and garlic with asian vegetables
    Protein shake
    50g ricotta and sugar free jelly

... That is ALOT of food and it is only 1180 calories.

What foods should I be adding in? I'm losing roughly 0.5 kilos a week and so far have lost 10 kilos in 3 months. I just don't want to be doing harm to my body but not feeding it enough as I exercise 6 days a week, strength and cardio (treadmill on incline)

Would love ANY advice?

First of all, looks like your protein intake is pretty good from what you're eating daily, so well done - don't see that very often! Remember you can drink some of the calories - full fat milk is a good start. Double up your portions of bacon and almonds for a little more still.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    bump for later
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda confused and I am not sure if it's just me trying to "over think" everything. I plugged in all my numbers as accurately as I could (shockingly it says I am still 50% body fat...though I am pretty sure I was over 60% a year ago...) still...made me want to cry. Anyway, I received the warning when I put in current weight versus what my "goal weight" should be and was told I would be better off putting in an intermediate goal weight then as I got close to THAT weight putting in my actual goal weight. So, doing that I put in a goal weight of 200 lbs, I work out 6 days a week for 45-55 minutes a day...this is 3 days of Elliptical trainer at 45 minutes then 3 days of Elliptical trainer at 35 minutes and 3 days of weight lifting at 20 minutes. I chose "Lightly Active" for my activity level and it gave me a calorie goal to eat of 2,252. If I eat this I should not eat back any extra exercise calories?

This seems like a lot of calories to me...however, my weight loss has been peetering off it seems. I seem to be gaining and losing the same 3-4 pounds lately.

Am I just being a dough head here or something? Why do I feel so confused?

ps...and those who will go look at my food diary, Saturday's are hit and miss and I never log on Sundays. Monday - Friday I log everything without fail, those are the best days to look at to see what my daily food intake looks like.

Please, no flaming, I am honestly wanting to understand this.

Edit for spelling check
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories or a little under a day, and guess what? I am doing just fine *points to ticker* I'm happy happy the way things are going. People need to realize that not everyone is like them. What works for you might not work for me!

Yep I too eat 1250 or under a day have for 21 mths do not eat back exercise cals and guess what " point to ticker" LOL. I reached my goal of 100 lb weight loss last week YEAH.... Now I am going to start maintenance and up my cals to 1500 . So if this is theory is true then i should start losing more rapidly. i will let you all know.......But I think everyone is different and you need to find what works for you......

Congrats on your weight loss. That is a fantastic accomplishment. While you are obvious proof that people can lose at 1200 calories, that is not the point of this thread. The point is that you can lose on MORE calories, and more importantly, eating more calories while losing makes you more likely to succeed at MAINTENANCE, which is really the whole point.

After 21 months, you will likely gain as soon as you up your calories. That is the yo-yo problem with 1200 calories.

Stick it out, because it will likely take you a while to readjust your metabolism. It will hold after a while, though, it may take quite a while. Don't give up too soon and drop back to 1200, unless you really want to be stuck there for life.

blessings.

This!
  • minnielovesmickey
    minnielovesmickey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I must work out my calorie goal as I just picked my 1395 from thin air. Will be fabulous to eat more healthy food in order to weigh less.
  • bigtwagner
    bigtwagner Posts: 113
    Options
    I'll have to check this out when I get to work. Looks like it would be a huge benefit to me.
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi all, OP here.

Wow, I cannot believe this little thread went 14 pages. First off thanks so much to all the Eat More, Weigh less group members that have helped answer questions. I apologize I haven't been around much since Friday. I have been trying to keep up with all the email and friend requests, as well as life away from MFP!

Since I can't answer everyone individually I will try to just hit the major points:

1) "1200 calories has worked for me! I have lost 10000 lbs" doing it.
    My response to this is: Great! I am glad it worked for you, however I have one question for you. When you go to maintain that new weight loss, what calorie intake are you going to use? I will guarantee if you try to go up to a 2000 calorie diet you balloon quick, then you will panic, and you will drop down to 1200 and repeat the cycle over again ad nauseum.

I am not forcing you to take this methodology. This is for people who are tired of being hungry, tired of feeling no energy at the end of the day, and tired of "dieting".

2) "I have a health condition that..."
    If you have a health condition...please please please consult your doctor and nutritionist. All the information here is for people who are relatively healthy and can exercise regularly. I cannot stress this enough

3) "What if I don't exercise?"
    If you don't exercise you should take the Sedentary level and add in and eat back your exercise calories (at least 75% of them)

4) "Do I eat back exercise calories?"
    If you use the lightly-extreme levels of activity, no. Congrats. This means you never have to worry about dieting again. Eat your calories and exercise. The new thinner you is right around the corner.

5) "How the heck to do I eat a 1000 addtional calories?"
    Its ok to fill SOME of these with some foods you like (like 10-20% of your calories), but the best way to do it is to start eating full fat versions of the food you already like. Since the 1970's this country has had an obsession with "Fat -Free" foods. Since that time there has been a spike in obesity rates, correlation doesn't equal causation, but it makes you think. Full fat versions of food have been around for a LONG time and there was no obesity problems. So drink whole milk, buy full fat plain yogurt, full fat cottage cheese, etc. You can also add healthy amounts of foods like Butter, Nut Butters, Olive Oil, Nuts/Seeds, Avocado, etc. Its really not hard once you start doing it.

6) "I GAINED 3 POUNDS THIS WEEK! YOU SUCK!"

Ok, so no one has told me I sucked yet, but I am waiting for it! :) Its true. You might gain a little weight (most people say 3-5 lbs) before you see results on the scale. This is normal. It takes your body a while to adjust to the proper amount of food. You spend month and years destroying your metabolism its not going to fix itself overnight. When you add food back into your lifestile, your muscles will begin to replenish themselves and you will hang on to water for a little while. This is normal. It usually takes 4-6 weeks. My advice is this. Put away the scale for a month. Take your measurements every two weeks and weigh yourself monthly (at the same time in te same place in the same clothes (or naked for best results))

I think I covered it. I will answer questions in PM's and try and monitor the thread, but I am not going to run numbers for you. The calculators are INSANELY easy to use.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hi all, OP here.

Wow, I cannot believe this little thread went 14 pages. First off thanks so much to all the Eat More, Weigh less group members that have helped answer questions. I apologize I haven't been around much since Friday. I have been trying to keep up with all the email and friend requests, as well as life away from MFP!

Since I can't answer everyone individually I will try to just hit the major points:

My response to this is: Great! I am glad it worked for you, however I have one question for you. When you go to maintain that new weight loss, what calorie intake are you going to use? I will guarantee if you try to go up to a 2000 calorie diet you balloon quick, then you will panic, and you will drop down to 1200 and repeat the cycle over again ad nauseum.

I am not forcing you to take this methodology. This is for people who are tired of being hungry, tired of feeling no energy at the end of the day, and tired of "dieting".

If you have a health condition...please please please consult your doctor and nutritionist. All the information here is for people who are relatively healthy and can exercise regularly. I cannot stress this enough

If you don't exercise you should take the Sedentary level and add in and eat back your exercise calories (at least 75% of them)

If you use the lightly-extreme levels of activity, no. Congrats. This means you never have to worry about dieting again. Eat your calories and exercise. The new thinner you is right around the corner.

Its ok to fill SOME of these with some foods you like (like 10-20% of your calories), but the best way to do it is to start eating full fat versions of the food you already like. Since the 1970's this country has had an obsession with "Fat -Free" foods. Since that time there has been a spike in obesity rates, correlation doesn't equal causation, but it makes you think. Full fat versions of food have been around for a LONG time and there was no obesity problems. So drink whole milk, buy full fat plain yogurt, full fat cottage cheese, etc. You can also add healthy amounts of foods like Butter, Nut Butters, Olive Oil, Nuts/Seeds, Avocado, etc. Its really not hard once you start doing it.

Ok, so no one has told me I sucked yet, but I am waiting for it! :) Its true. You might gain a little weight (most people say 3-5 lbs) before you see results on the scale. This is normal. It takes your body a while to adjust to the proper amount of food. You spend month and years destroying your metabolism its not going to fix itself overnight. When you add food back into your lifestile, your muscles will begin to replenish themselves and you will hang on to water for a little while. This is normal. It usually takes 4-6 weeks. My advice is this. Put away the scale for a month. Take your measurements every two weeks and weigh yourself monthly (at the same time in te same place in the same clothes (or naked for best results))

I think I covered it. I will answer questions in PM's and try and monitor the thread, but I am not going to run numbers for you. The calculators are INSANELY easy to use.

Thanks. I really like eating more. I hope this works.

If you stop working out, like lets say work gets very busy or something, I guess I should drop my calorie intake for that time period?
  • chrisb75
    Options

Thanks. I really like eating more. I hope this works.

If you stop working out, like lets say work gets very busy or something, I guess I should drop my calorie intake for that time period?

Yes. If you don't work out for an extended period of time drop down a level. ( i.e Moderate->Light), Even if you get a a walk in 3days a week that would be better than nothing.
  • bulka76
    bulka76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all, OP here.

Dear CHRISb75

Please help me!!

Basically, I started my diet 4 weeks ago with 75.8 kg. In a first week I lost 1.7 kg and went down to the 74.1 kg, then second week nothing. I read some advice on MFP to increase my calories intake to my BMR which is 1480 kal. So I did that and lost another 800 gr but after 3/4 days I checked again and I was back to 74.1 kg. Which made me confused, so does that mean that I never lost 800 gr in the first place?
    My question is – should I go back to the MFP 1200 cal allowance or should I stick with my BMR which is 1480 cal ? Just to mention – that I do not exercise at all, just basic house work.

Thak you
  • chrisb75
    Options
    Dear CHRISb75

Please help me!!

Basically, I started my diet 4 weeks ago with 75.8 kg. In a first week I lost 1.7 kg and went down to the 74.1 kg, then second week nothing. I read some advice on MFP to increase my calories intake to my BMR which is 1480 kal. So I did that and lost another 800 gr but after 3/4 days I checked again and I was back to 74.1 kg. Which made me confused, so does that mean that I never lost 800 gr in the first place?
    My question is – should I go back to the MFP 1200 cal allowance or should I stick with my BMR which is 1480 cal ? Just to mention – that I do not exercise at all, just basic house work.

Thak you
    If your BMR is 1480, your TDEE is 1776 (at a sedentary lifestyle). I would set your goal to be (225g) .5lb a week, so you want a 250 calorie a day deficit. So you want to eat 1526 a day,. You MAY gain the first 2-4 weeks. PUT AWAY THE SCALE. Weigh yourself after 30 days. If you have gained MORE Than 3-4 lbs. Back off the calories by 100 and try again.
  • bulka76
    bulka76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    TY very much for the fast reply I will try that.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a favor to ask someone. Could someone be really sweet and figure my cals intake for me? My age is 41, female, 5'2, currently 197 lbs. I ride with hubby, long haul trucking, so my exercise is sedentary. Sometimes if i do actually get exercise in, pls let me know if i should eat back cals. Thank u!!!!!

Do you know what your body fat % is? In the calculators on the fat2fitradio website, this number is important for calculating your goal weight, and thus your goal calories for the "thin you."

Crud :( i dont have that info :(
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @Sleepy Texan-

I've noticed you responded to a couple of posts - inconsistent exercisers to eat BMR + exercise cals. Which BMR Should we go with?

For me, Harris Benedict shows my bmr to be 1654
    Katch-McArdle shows my BMR to be 1391

There is a difference of 263 cals.....
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I checked my numbers on Fat2fitradio and my BMR is 1254 and TDEE (assuming that's the number if I use their "How many calories should I eat" calculator) is 1493.
    I entered that I was sedentary since I have a desk job and I am a sporadic exerciser. Should I eat 1493 and eat back my exercise calories on workout days? Will I lose weight with that number of calories or should I reduce it slightly?

Sporadic exercisers should go with BMR + exercise calories.

Am I understanding it right that you're saying that sporadic exercisers shouldn't go with sedentary TDEE, but instead purely with BMR + eat back exercise calories? :S There's a pretty big difference between the two figures.

That's because BMR assumes you stay in bed all day. Depending on your height, weight, and body fat, as soon as you get up you are burning some calories, at least 400, hence TDEE sedentary is more. It assumes you get up out of bed and live life in general. If you're trying to lose, and you are an inconsistent exerciser, BMR + exercise.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda confused and I am not sure if it's just me trying to "over think" everything. I plugged in all my numbers as accurately as I could (shockingly it says I am still 50% body fat...though I am pretty sure I was over 60% a year ago...) still...made me want to cry. Anyway, I received the warning when I put in current weight versus what my "goal weight" should be and was told I would be better off putting in an intermediate goal weight then as I got close to THAT weight putting in my actual goal weight. So, doing that I put in a goal weight of 200 lbs, I work out 6 days a week for 45-55 minutes a day...this is 3 days of Elliptical trainer at 45 minutes then 3 days of Elliptical trainer at 35 minutes and 3 days of weight lifting at 20 minutes. I chose "Lightly Active" for my activity level and it gave me a calorie goal to eat of 2,252. If I eat this I should not eat back any extra exercise calories?

This seems like a lot of calories to me...however, my weight loss has been peetering off it seems. I seem to be gaining and losing the same 3-4 pounds lately.

Am I just being a dough head here or something? Why do I feel so confused?

ps...and those who will go look at my food diary, Saturday's are hit and miss and I never log on Sundays. Monday - Friday I log everything without fail, those are the best days to look at to see what my daily food intake looks like.

Please, no flaming, I am honestly wanting to understand this.

Edit for spelling check

I maintain at 2271 and I am 130 lbs.