If you are scared to increase calories

Options

Replies

• tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was scared but I upped it a few hundred cals. I gained 2 pounds the first week and I wanted to QUIT~! But many people encouraged me to stick with it for a couple of weeks. Im on week three and I lost the 2 pounds and my body has finally adjusted! I am happy I did it because I get to eat more and my bodys way more way more satisfied!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" even and it's telling me to eat 2046 O_O. That seems so... off. I exercise 5-6 days a week and eat healthy regularly. Due to the fact im not obese and only need to lose 20-30# weight comes off very slowly for me anyways. I'm really concerned about upping to 2,000!!!

I'm just confused now >.>

It's because you're young and workout like an animal :D

For reassurance sake, my maintenance is around 3700.

When you're close to goal, you should try and eat closer to what your goal weight maintenance would be so you can maintain your loss - even if it means it takes you a couple more months to get there.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • StarletteS
    StarletteS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hello there. Do me a favor and look at the bottom of my post here. See that? Yep, guess what? I eat more than 1200 calories a day. Yep, it works. Thank you for your time.

AMAZING! GREAT JOB!
  • jerjan
    jerjan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know I wasn't loosing anymore weight at 1,200 cals so I increased my 2 weeks ago I increased to 1,450. I lost 3 pounds that 1st week. This week I gained 2 pounds. I'm going to wait and see what happens next week. Another thing I have a doubt in... Low carbs diet? to loose body fat.
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    [q] They are working out 6-7 days a week. [/q]

yeah, exercise is so last century for weight loss.
    Lift something heavy 3 days a week and walk five days a week.

So is reading comprehension, obviously.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOOD BURN! lol :laugh:
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I need some help, I thought I had it all figured out but I am not sure now. I worked out that :

Harris-Benedict Formula - my current BMR is 1841 calories.

Katch-McArdle Formula
    body fat percentage of 59%, you have a lean body mass of 97 lbs., and your BMR is 1322 calories.

My tdee is 2203 (set at desk job as I truly don't think I do enough to warrant acknowledging it as more than that)

Fat2fitradio tell me that I should eat at any of the below cals at my goal weight and thus should do so now. dress for the job I want rather than the job I have which makes sense to me. I get that. I never understood that if a healthy weighted woman should eat 2000 cals a day then why should someone much bigger eat as much as a child to lose weight. I always wondered why overweight women was just not told to eat 2000 cals and they will lose weight as that is what allows a thin woman to maintain a healthy weight.

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1918
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2197
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2477
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2757
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3036

I struggle to have any enthusiasm for exercise and only manage the 10-15 min walk from bus stop to work and work to bus stop. I note these occurances and eat back the calories.

My job on a good day is pretty active. I'm a digital printer so when busy I'm lugging heavy paper about. I note this down as cleaning for however long I'm doing this and eat back the calories. Otherwise I consider myself sedentary.

I have signed up for a course in proper weight lifting for women which I hope will give me enough confidence to use the gym effectively rather than being scared off into using silly light weights or bottle of water/cans of beans like I've been made to believe for so long. I hope this turns around my lack of enthausiam for exercise.

Anywho - based on the above am I currently doing things right by eating back my calories because of the fact that I am generally sedentary at the moment..
  • BeckysWellnessPlan
    Options
    bump
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My weight was up and down and cheat days always resulted in regaining lost pounds. I bumped my calories up to near maintenance <50 calorie deficit. The up and down stopped along with the cheating. I have been losing slow and steady and gaining strength.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Silly, silly question. I have my BF tested every 6 weeks; if I already know it can I use it instead of doing the calculator? I know for a fact they are way off from each other and I don't trust online calculators for BF.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Okay so, I'm going to try this. Eating 2451 calories. I know my actual BF% so hopefully it's close to accurate. I workout 5-6 days a week and generally get a fitbit adjustment of 500-600 calories burned. Today for example it's only 3 and I'm at 540. So I'll net around 1800ish? Hope I don't gain too much and this works!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Silly, silly question. I have my BF tested every 6 weeks; if I already know it can I use it instead of doing the calculator? I know for a fact they are way off from each other and I don't trust online calculators for BF.

Yup. Preferential option.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I'm supposed to be eating 2127 calories a day?!? That's a lot to take in :indifferent:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Yup. Preferential option.

Thank you! Just realized it by looking at it. Now I need to start eating! :)
  • sdardar
    sdardar Posts: 16
    Options
    According to this I should eat 1920 calories a day. That's alot of calories. Wondering how I will be able to eat all of that.
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    I had just changed mine from 1230 to 1700. I'm glad you posted this. I'm encouraged that I've made the right choice!
  • tinam76
    tinam76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Tina,
    I NEVER consider what I weigh a few days before or during my period, because I too bloat terribly, and I have terrible stomach upset during my period as well.
    yeah i kinda figured the cycle thing i just wonder should i increase or should i wait to see if i'm still going to lose at 1200 calories walking at least 40 minutes 3 to 4 days a week . some days starving and will either eat more when i'm hungry and figure out what to eat with what i have left or exercise so i don't go over my . i'm so confused. people say one to two pounds a week is a healthy weight loss i just want to do what i should be doing just like when i exercise everything gives me different numbers so i go with the lowest one to be safe because what if the highest says 500 calories burned and lowest says 250 if i go with highest one i could be hurting myself .please advise
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused do I use the Katch-McArdle BMR (1342) or the Harris-Benedict BMR (1604)?? Will that affect the TDEE (2130)??
    Becasue the site is telling me the Katch-McArdle is more accurate....but the TDEE is measured based on the Harris-Benedict BMR.....
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    it was confused by "you will exercise harder" which seems to me the opposite of "cut it back".

Now I understand.

Keep in mind that, No, you dont HAVE to work out to lose weight...but by not, you will lose muscle mass in addition to the fat.