Fasting - does it work?

Options
imbanter
imbanter Posts: 72 Member
I've read in a few threads people mentioning intermittent fasting. I'm still not totally clear but it appears the basic concept is you don't eat 16 out of the 24 hours but you consume your calories in the other 8 hours. So does this work or not?

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I've read in a few threads people mentioning intermittent fasting. I'm still not totally clear but it appears the basic concept is you don't eat 16 out of the 24 hours but you consume your calories in the other 8 hours. So does this work or not?

A search of the forums would net you a LOT of information. Going to the IF group would get you more accurate information.

The short answer though, is yes...it does work. Very few people who actually have tried it will tell you different.

Google 'Eat Stop Eat', 'Fast 5', or go to www.leangains.com for more direct information.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works. One of the most effective things I have found <12% body fat.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well it "work" for me but in the sense that I can have a big plate of food at diner with my family and I do not have to think about food all the time. I am losing weight because I am at a calorie deficit still. It is not a magic process or something like that
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    What days do you do it on and how many days per week?

I'm seriously looking into this (I'll try anything to get rid of my belly fat :laugh: )

Would doing it on Sundays from 8p.m until Monday 8p.m do any good?

Thanks
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I do believe it works ... there was recently some research done . people fasted 2 x a week and it is said that it helped with brain function. I would tell you to go for it. do it for couple of months then come back and report your findings. let me know how it works for you
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    What days do you do it on and how many days per week?

I'm seriously looking into this (I'll try anything to get rid of my belly fat :laugh: )

Would doing it on Sundays from 8p.m until Monday 8p.m do any good?

Thanks

First, you can do it any days you like. Eat Stop Eat recommends 1-2 days a week...but you can do 3 with that program as well pretty easily.

Sunday 8pm to Monday 8pm fits the criteria of 'any days you like'...so it looks like you're good to go!

Now...a word of caution. Fasting for 24hrs isn't a license to go hog wild when you do eat. You eat a sensible meal, then go to sleep and eat normally the next day.
  • soulynyc
    Options
    i think the best way to fast is not to do 24 hour fasting. but rather to fast from sun up to sun down. Wake up before sun up and get something to eat.. could be a light meal , fruits water or a heavier meal.. then don' t eat again until after the sun goes down. Don't eat heavy greasy foods. Keep it light and simple. drink as much water as you can when you are not in state of fasting
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    i think the best way to fast is not to do 24 hour fasting. but rather to fast from sun up to sun down. Wake up before sun up and get something to eat.. could be a light meal , fruits water or a heavier meal.. then don' t eat again until after the sun goes down. Don't eat heavy greasy foods. Keep it light and simple. drink as much water as you can when you are not in state of fasting

Why do you think this? What are the proven benifits of your method of fasting?

The point of fasting is to empty your system completely of food. This triggers changes in the hormonal responses in your body, which are benificial (in the first 24hrs) in helping speed your metabolism, as well as spiking growth hormone when combined with heavy strength training. Growth hormone is known to help maintain lean mass, and promote the oxidation of fat.

Again, what benifit is there in a 12hr or so fast? Even the 16hr fast leangains recommends is a compromise. The true, scientifically proven benifits are just before, at, and just past the 24hr mark.
  • soulynyc
    Options
    well.. the reason is because like i said before I believe that God prescribed fasting for us and showed us through his Prophets how to do it. they fasted from sun up to sun down.. the most successfull of them (we are told) was david who fasted every other day. but there are those who fasted every saturday, or every monday and thursday and some for 40 days and some for 30 days.. but none of them did complete fasting days 24hours... so that is why i say that it is better to fast this particular way.

though im not saying that 24 hour fast may not work or be good.. im just telling you what i believe to work best based on evidence from revelation. but you may not agree. Again science is researching this as we speak. taxing the body over its limits may not be what we really should do even though we may think it's ok.
  • cadillacfrank
    cadillacfrank Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OMG at first glance, I thought it said "Farting - does it work?" and I was all excited to answer YES!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I do eat stop eat. 24 hour fasting twice a week. AND it works for me.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i love this thread, i try to stay under my calories most days but it says im going into starvation mode. thank you everyone.
  • soulynyc
    Options
    i love this thread, i try to stay under my calories most days but it says im going into starvation mode. thank you everyone.

you will stall eventually.. you should not go under your calorie goal that YOU set for yourself. if you are eating under it you should reevaluate. maybe even put in a day or two of fasting and make up the diffeence on the other days.
  • soulynyc
    Options

are you driinking anything? what ws the toughest thing when you first started.
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    @soulnyc.....I follow the same plan as honkytonks, so I'm going to jump in. I only do it once a week, because that's what works for me and feels natural. Frankly, there wasn't anything tough about it starting. I simply extended my natural overnight fast, there was very little toughness to it. I drink a liter of water when I first wake, and then between two and three more liters through the day. I will also have a couple of cups of green tea. That's it. Its simple, its effective. It's not difficult.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

are you driinking anything? what ws the toughest thing when you first started.

yes - I drink some black coffee, sometimes herbal tea and plenty of water.

Toughest thing is getting over the urge to eat "just because" - I often eat out of boredom. I am learning to overcome this urge through IF :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You've convinced me. I'm going to give this a punt starting after the weekend.
  • Emmea2729
    Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i like the sound of this. is it really as simple as don't eat for 24hrs, just stick to water, then eat normally again? then repeat every few days?
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump.....I have been reading about it all morning...It sounds like something I would like to try.

There is also a group for it as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting