Partners,boyfriends,girlfriends etc.

Options
2»

Replies

• ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My partner eats whatever he likes, he's one of these 6'4" skinny guys that eats 3 times the amount I do and doesn't gain weight (lucky him!). It's hard for me when the temptations are there such as takeaway and chocolate, but as long as I keep my will power strong and don't let him convince me its okay to just have it this one time, followed by the same thing the next week, then I will be good.

He doesn't really exercise, he's a very busy training to be a teacher and when he has free time spends it on his Xbox. This is also something that doesn't help me in that when I have spare time I tend to play on my Xbox as well, I guess I need to get into the habit of exercising instead, even if its through some dancing game for the Xbox (2 birds, 1 stone?).

He tries to support me and says that its my body and I can do what I want with it, and he tells me he likes me how I am. Apparently my jiggly belly is entertaining. He does however like to tease me with food!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Thats why I left my ex. She was bringing me down.

You have to surround yourself with people who will better you!
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Off topic but bloody hell at the progress you've made! Well done Sir.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My other half eats like a horse, generally his meals are reasonably healthy, but he really loves cake. I don't find this bothers me at all. He maintains a good shape and is well toned as he swims alot and he has a physical job. If he ate the way he does and did no activity or excercise I would probably be bothered more.
    He also is really good with me, as I fluctuate between binging and not eating at all. He really encourages me to eat when I am not in a food mood and cooks good healthy food for me - but he never, ever even on a good day teases my with anything that could flip me straight into a bad day.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

Off topic but bloody hell at the progress you've made! Well done Sir.

thanks doc!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't project my perspective or world view on anyone. I am who I am and they are who they are. We all get to our own realizations in our own way and in our own times. God, if someone had thought poorly of me when I couldn't exercise, I would have felt awful.

Besides, in relationships there is always something we can allow to bother us. I live my life by the motto that what I do speaks volumes to those around me. If they see me improving my life and getting better, eventually they get excited and do the same. Maybe not at the same level of dedication or in the same manner, but that's okay.

And if they never do, that's okay too. Because their life is there's to do and decide.

I love them because of who they are not what they are doing .. per se.

But that's just me. :-)
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Actually the system my husband and I have is working well. We've tried to lose weight together but it never worked well because we have different stamina for different things. So we kind of went our own way a little bit. But we still walk together probably 4-5 nights a week. We are also enjoying trying new foods that I've found out about on MFP. He's not on MFP and I know it wouldn't work well for him because he's so forgetful. So we're both trying to lose weight but doing it our own way than overlaps sometimes. I tend to get a better workout alone anyway. I push myself more and I don't feel like I'm being stared at lol
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The person from my last LTR was not as dedicated as I was... even back then... a year ago when I was just breaking 300 lbs. and he was ex-military, former running freak and in a decent BMI range for his height. He had a bicycle that I never saw him ride, he bought really expensive running shoes and would make a 1 day effort to put them to use when I would inquire about them, he reluctantly did my first 5k with me but it was like pulling teeth. I sometimes had to beg him to just walk around the block with me. He was so lazy! He had p90x, but wouldn't start it with me (FYI: I started it one week to the day that he dumped me and finished it in October of last year - take that EX/BF!) Hell, I even got my big booty outside and mowed his lawn - front & back - in June & July in southeast Texas... it's frappin hot here that time of year. I dunno. It was really a pain hearing him say, "Well, of course you can do it...." then just sit there and watch me exercise. It was awkward. It didn't feel like support. Say one thing and do another. Do Not Like.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My fiancee is always very supportive of me and is really into living a healthy, active lifestyle. It's being with him that jump started my weight loss and healthier lifestyle. His whole family is really into living healthy and actively. His father was a pro-boxer, his sister is becoming a physical therapist/personal trainer. Without him (or our daughter), I don't think I'd be as motivated to make myself just as healthy as I want. He is my rock.
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Boyfriend is always incredibly supportive, and pushes me during exercises. He's trying to get back into shape form the years he spent doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and has taught me how to politely decline offers of food I normally would have taken for fear of being rude. He doesn't work as much as I do since I am home everyday and he tends to eat worse foods then I do, but he knows this is his weakness and is working on it. He doesn't try to put me off track, or force feed me anything, and he's proud of the work I am doing. I think he's just stuck in his own rut of fast food and the like.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go to the gym together and I set him up with a MFP account and I log his calories. I was doing the logging just for myself since December but it was hard not to cave in to bad eating when he was snacking. He needed to drop some pounds, asked me to set him up with an account and since mid february he's dropped 15 lbs.

He is very supportive of me and vice versa. He points out the abs that are showing on me. He gets happy with my NSV's (I've had two this week!) And when we are at the gym he pushes me to lift as heavy as I can. We support each other and celebrate the successes and if we have an off day, which typically is Friday, and I am down on myself about it he shrugs and says "it's ok. Just do better today." He knows my goals and supports them and never says I can't. I have a weight goal in mind and while he didn't say I can't achieve it he did say it wasnreason ething I'd be able to maintain and gave me a number that was.

Honestly even if he wasn't doing everything with me (we still hit the gym even when he wasn't counting) he would still be supportive no matter what and vice versa. I don't know that I could be with someone who wouldn't support me in everything I did.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend loved me when i was 100 lbs and unhealthy, and 189 lbs and unhealthy. it actully dosnt bug me that he dosnt workout at this point in our life, but thats because we have a lot of other things going on. he works about 50 hours a week, and i know thats not an excuse but he used to work out a lot when he was just in college and didnt have to work. when we both worked like 30 hours a week we would go to the gym together, i loved it. i think when we both have steady jobs with set hours it would be a lot better and easier to get healthy together. we food shop together, so he eats mostly healthy. but it does bug me that he dosnt get enough sleep and we both smoke. it bugs me because i want to have a healthy long life together.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When you talk about goals, you only mention things like fitness and diet so I'm going to assume that's what you mean.
    There's so much more to a person than their physique and dedication to it and if becomes the focus of every conversation frankly becomes a little boring. Not to say that it's not a good thing to do for yourself, but hey, life's more than that. To judge people (as you say, you have less respect) because they aren't in great shape seems unfair.

People who have goals like being a great parent , husband, wife, friend, running a successful business, excelling in their studies, helping disadvantaged people, etc are attractive.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My SO doesn't work out hardly at all and eats what he wants when he wants. It's his free will as long as he doesn't force it upon me. And he openly acknowledges hes overweight but he isn't OBESE so it isn't a screaming/serious issue.

I've lost weight & quit smoking. I've done my own thing but he is awesome because he will go with me if I ask him to the gym or out and about. And he has no problem making whatever is healthy as long as he gets his snack and breakfast/lunch of choice. Or if we eat out I do not make him order small/healthy. It's a matter of being at peace with each other and your habits.

Eventually, hopefully, someday your partner will see your progress and want to make changes in their own life. All I care about is that he shows up to work each day, takes a shower, cleans once in awhile, respects me, and is happy. Everything else will fall in place.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky. My boyfriend is a pretty healthy guy and he's the one who keeps me in check.