Fasted Morning Cardio...

Options
Quiing
Quiing Posts: 261 Member
What are your thoughts on performing light or moderate cardio before your first meal of the day?

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that it is not that much efficient. The logic with that is to take benefit of highered hormones in the morning.
    If you have a deadlne could help, but it also has somes disadvantages making it quite useless and a pain for nothing very interesting.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    There is some mild evidence than it can have a very minor effect on fat usage ~<5% difference.
    I find a very light meal prior to cardio helps me work harder and therefore use more calories.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    It works for some people, it doesnt work for others.

I LOVE working out on an empty stomach. I have much more energy in the mornings before breakfast.
  • GetFitDad
    GetFitDad Posts: 7
    Options
    From what I understand, in the morning, after your body has been fasting, you usually don't have many easy to burn calories in you system, as they have used up over night and / or stored. If you exercise in the morning before eating, your body will start to go into "starvation mode" because it does not have the immediate energy to keep you fueled. Additionally, muscle is a lot easier for your body to quickly turn to energy than fat, so if you exercise too long or too much, you may start burning muscle before using your fat stores. I've read it's always good to eat something first thing in the morning which will signal your body that you have started eating, and it will have fuel available when needed. (Countering the "starvation mode.") I'm no expert, and this advice may be worth what you paid for it, but I would suggest eating before exercising, and maybe giving it 15 minutes or so and then starting off slow. A lot of people say it's hard to exercise in the morning after eating because of the way their stomach feels, but I've found a handful of multigrain cheerios or a banana and some water don't seem to bother my stomach at all.

Some of the nice things about exercising in the morning is you can get it done before the day gets busy, it can help you set your feelings and goals for the day. And more importantly, if that is the time which works for you, then take advantage of it.

Anyway, I'm no expert. :) But good luck!
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If its light enough and kept in the "fat burning" heart range the calories burned will be more likely to come from fat. Unfortunately, its easier to burn more calories by going harder... even at a lesser percentage it turns out to be more fat calories burned.

The idea behind it being fasted is your body won't have other energy to burn. I use BCAA intraworkout to help my muscles maintain when I do any moderate exercise in a fasted state.

HIIT in the evenings (or post food in general) is probably quicker and more efficient than any light fast cardio.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    well you know that I do cardio and strenght training before breaking my fast at 1-2 pm. It never had a negative impact on my workout. I feel strong and have been lowering my 5k PR steadily.

I also use BCAA
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I exercise before eating a lot and can go an hr or so in the gym... I like doing it. I cant do strength straining though without food or I'll feel sick...just cardio
  • clairegirl1969
    Options
    I have always had a small meal before morning workout. Like a piece of bread with peanut butter or yogurt. I tried to work out last week with an empty stomach and I felt like I couldn't work as hard as I usually do. I was taking a spin class, I'm not sure what it would feel like with weights because I haven't tried that yet.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning before eating. Not because I think I'm burning more calories, but more because if I eat and then work out it makes me feel nauseous and/or throw up. I've tried eating light stuff and not pushing myself as hard while exercising, but it doesn't matter. Working out on an empty stomach is what works for me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    It's more a preference now. More study is showing that the actual effect is minor. Personally I do it because I'm a late night eater and am not hungry in the morning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Quiing
    Options
    A lot of great replies and varying opinions, thanks everyone. I think I want to start doing it to incorporate more cardio in my routine and get it out of the way as soon as I wake up, and to set a better mood for the rest of the day. I'm thinking maybe I'll experiment with drinking a small protein shake before hand to see if it affects my performance.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that it is not that much efficient. The logic with that is to take benefit of highered hormones in the morning.

I disagree. The advantage is to take benefit of lowered insulin level. When you wake fasted, your insulin will be at its lowest level of the day. This is optimal fat burning time. As soon as you eat, your your insulin rises and stored fat burning is compromised.
  • Quiing
    Options
    I disagree. The advantage is to take benefit of lowered insulin level. When you wake fasted, your insulin will be at its lowest level of the day. This is optimal fat burning time. As soon as you eat, your your insulin rises and stored fat burning is compromised.

If that's the case then I'm really going to start doing it.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A lot of great replies and varying opinions, thanks everyone. I think I want to start doing it to incorporate more cardio in my routine and get it out of the way as soon as I wake up, and to set a better mood for the rest of the day. I'm thinking maybe I'll experiment with drinking a small protein shake before hand to see if it affects my performance.

I think a small fruit would work better. Find what works for you =)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is the exact myth being talked about. It doesn't work this way. Insulin is not the end all be all of fat storage, and quite honestly, insulin has absolutely nothing to do with fat burning.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

This is the exact myth being talked about. It doesn't work this way. Insulin is not the end all be all of fat storage, and quite honestly, insulin has absolutely nothing to do with fat burning.

never said it was the "end all be all" get off your crusade.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like it, because I prefer to eat as soon as I get up. If I'm strapped for time, I may workout first and then eat, simply because I don't like working out on a full stomach.

However, if you're asking if it burns more calories/fat/whatever than eating first, it doesn't really make much of a difference.
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I run 6 days a week in the morning. I can't have anything to eat before hand or I get sick. I've tried just having a banana and I still got sick. But everyone is different, do what works for you.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I don't know the health benefits or detriments but I know that I will feel dizzy and feel like throwing up unless I have a light meal very shortly after waking up in the morning, workout or not. If I plan to work out, I wait about 1/2 hour after I eat. therefore it's only on weekends that I exercise in the morning.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    It's a personal preference, I find that I can only do about 10min, then I feel blah!! but if I do my cardio in the late afternoon, I feel like I get the best work out!!!