For people trying to lose the last bit of fat and tone up...

Options
Hi.
So as I realise it is really difficult to lose weight/fat when you are already fairly lean! I'm in the process of trying to lose the last bit of bodyfat to look ripped/toned.
Heavily focusing on strength training and my diet. (Motivation is lacking at this point)
I thought it would be good to speak to people in a simular position or who have succeeded with this to keep motivated / share tips. :happy:

(I'm 5'8, 135lbs and 23% bodyfat)

Replies

• jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    BUMP
    ** Has anyone no tips to share? or at this stage?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No tips, but I am trying to lose body fat. My diet is probably my biggest hinderance.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do both at once. Either work on losing the fat, or gaining the muscle. You wont do both at the same time. Try a traditional cut and bulk cycle.
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    Im 5'8 139lbs and looking more to tone up then anything else... I think i am going to start lifting heavy and eating more :)
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    HMonsterX Why do you say it is not possible to do both at the same time? I would rather work on burning fat first at the minute. I may need to add in some cardio as well as my strength training. But my diet is probably my downfall. (I'm bouncing between low carb and too much)
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm 5'9 149 with 23% bf and am looking to do the same. I already do HIIT and weights and am getting nowhere :(
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I am in a similar situation.

5' 6"
    124 lbs
    22% BF

Looking to get rid of a little remaining baby weight, but more so looking to get toned.

Just bought New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read through it last night. Excited to start a new lifting routine, but discouraged because I don't have all the equipment. We'll see how it goes.

Before I got pregnant I did a round of P90X and it definitely worked...got really toned. Definitely a HUGE commitment and diet would be extremely important. Just a suggestion.

Good Luck!
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @HMonsterX, Absolutely not true at all! Sorry.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Similar situation for me. Diet is HUGE. Stick with your weightlifting and cardio routine and eat really clean mini meals with lots of protein. I would be at my goal, if I didn't keep sabotaging my diet with nights out. But, you have to balance it all out! :) Good luck!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the same thing! I am trying to do low carbs, eliminating wheat/grains. Because I need to work on my belly fat. I started that this past week. I also bought a new bootcamp video, hopefully that will be intense enough to help tone up and lose some of the fat. I just started it, so I don't know how well it is going to work.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 149 with 23% bf and am looking to do the same. I already do HIIT and weights and am getting nowhere :(

Is your diet clean? As they say abs are made in the kitchen & not in the gym so no matter how effective your workout programs are but if your diet isn't good then don't expect a change in your body composition.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have heard eating 20% below your TDEE on non workout days and eating 20% above on your workout days.

What I have been doing, heavy lifting, eating 1g of protein per lean mass, 0.5g fat*total body weight, and 3-4 HIIT and trying to eat at my TDEE, sometimes a little below.
    In a month I have lost an inch off my waist, a little off my hips and lost a pound (not trying to lose weight). Slowly but surely my midsection is getting smaller.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Right where I'm at as well! 5'5, 127 lbs, and 23% BF. I've been doing lots of HIIT and lifting heavy. I've been doing New Rules of Fitness for Women, and saw progress in the beginning, but the waist line starting getting bigger with the amounts of food I was consuming. Cut back some on my cals, but still not seeing the results I'd like to see. I'm not worried about the number on the scale, but do want to see the improvements when I look in the mirror :-)
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump
  • skinney1357
    skinney1357 Posts: 68
    Options
    It all depends on what you want. I upped my calories and started lifting heavy and eating more protein and I gained 10 pounds. I was definiteLy more toned in the arms and legs but didn't like the number on the scale. Now I am back at 1200 calories a day and doing all cardio to lose the pounds I gained.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump! I'd like to know too...I'm in a similar situation
    5' 8", 140lbs, about 23%bf.

I mainly run and do Jillian Michaels videos.
    I just recently started using weights, so we'll see where that gets me...
    I think when it comes down to it, it takes a crapload of dedication, eating as clean as possible, and longer workouts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    So as I realise it is really difficult to lose weight/fat when you are already fairly lean! I'm in the process of trying to lose the last bit of bodyfat to look ripped/toned.
    Heavily focusing on strength training and my diet. (Motivation is lacking at this point)
    I thought it would be good to speak to people in a simular position or who have succeeded with this to keep motivated / share tips. :happy:

(I'm 5'8, 135lbs and 23% bodyfat)
    If you're lacking motivation, then you personally may not really want it bad enough. You may desire it, but motivation comes from within. People want to be rich, but won't do what it takes to attain it. Same with the body. People want to be a certain body type, but sometimes aren't willing to do what it takes to achieve it for whatever reason. Till you make the decision to really want it have it bad enough, your effort to achieve it will always be mediocre and will lack motivation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm 5'4" 117 lbs with the same goals. I was also told to do the cut/bulk cycles. So first I decided on a 20% cut while lifting weights to preserve muscle mass. I started a month ago, have been very strict with my diet and exercise, and have gained 3 lbs while losing 2 inches from my waist and hips.

Obviously you CAN gain mass and lose body fat at the same time, but I suspect this is mostly only true for beginners or people on high protein diets.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You can add me...I am 5'6.5'' and 135. Started lifting and now tracking my progress on weights. I would love to hear about yours and anyone elses progress :happy:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    HMonsterX Why do you say it is not possible to do both at the same time? I would rather work on burning fat first at the minute. I may need to add in some cardio as well as my strength training. But my diet is probably my downfall. (I'm bouncing between low carb and too much)

For fat loss you have to be in calorie deficit but definitely continue strength training to minimize muscle loss during a deficit. However you have to eat a little more during your lifting days as your muscles need it for repair. Eat protein for every meal. Right now my body fat is at 19-21% (including hydration effect) using the BIA scale (I get higher percentage using online calculators but I know that they are the least accurate ones) but I'm working on to get it down to 17% by building muscle.

By the way what is your target body fat percentage?