Do you weigh/measure your food?

Options
124»

Replies

• shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything! In fact, my food scale is going to be packed into my suitcase for when we fly back home to the States in two weeks because there's no way in hell I'm waiting a few weeks up to a few months for it to arrive in our shipment of household goods.
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Not yet. I eyeball it or ask my boyfriend what he thinks the size/weight something is, at this time, but only because I'm still consistently losing weight. I have been at this for 79 days (11 weeks) now and have lost 23.2lbs (after doing a mid weigh-in this morning). I do plan to start weighing my food and portion sizes once I get to a stand-still point or find that I'm struggling with the weightloss as I feel that will be another step into my new lifestyle ... step by step will bring greater success for me. :smile:
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I measure my food with a scale and measuring cups, and really hate eating any wheres but my own home now because I don't have control over what goes in to my food, and I can't measure my food as much as I would love to stick my scale into my purse lol, its kinda like a security blanket right now.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Always! It is so much easier to track when filling in your log. Started with just measuring cups for cereal, yogurts, etc. Then finally wised up and got a nice kitchen scale for meats and the rest of what I eat. My eyeballs always told me wrong!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I do, and will until I reach goal..and then I might even continue. It helps a lot.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Always... I have been working on this fitness journey for a year and have been at a place where I want to maintain since January of this year and I still weigh, measure and check serving sizes on the packages when I make myself something to eat. It is a life style not a bump in the road.
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i weight and measure EVERYTHING especially as i realised that when i guess im usually at least double portion!
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I almost always measure. Either measuring cups or scale.

ETA: When I'm dishing out food like boiled potatoes or carrots or something, I use my measuring cups instead of a spoon.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I measure my food with a scale and measuring cups, and really hate eating any wheres but my own home now because I don't have control over what goes in to my food, and I can't measure my food as much as I would love to stick my scale into my purse lol, its kinda like a security blanket right now.

LOL Just order a go box with your meal and halve it before you dig in. You will be left with one serving on your plate instead of a family portion.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    i weigh my cereal and beans but i guess on everything else...i should probably start weighing EVERYTHING :(
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I didn't get to over 300 lbs by eating proper portions so I weight just about everything. It may seem annoying in the beginning but it really makes all the difference for me. Now I don't even think about it.
  • clsward1
    clsward1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Really tricky as I work away from home during the week. Staying in hotels is not ideal but as I've just started with MFP and I'm going to weigh as much as possible and guesstimate the rest.

My plan is to have cereal in the hotel, a jacket for lunch and then buy everything else form thr supermarket (bar scanning as I go).
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Definitely weigh and measure everything! I also have my own smaller plate! I will be taking it on holidays with me. Just need to keep on top of it all.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! I have to
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I love my Escali scale and I got it from ebay uber cheap. It weighs in pounds + ounces, just ounces, grams and kilograms. I think it was $23 including shipping to me. To be honest, it isn't a food scale but it is so accurate I never saw the need to pay more for something with LESS capabilities than my escali.

Good luck! I, too, would be lost without mine.

Thanks! I'll see if there are any stockists close... I'm scared of overestimating on purpose as I can 'get away with it' if you know what I mean...
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You betcha! I have OCD so I let it take over!
  • goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict. I have now weighed my food for the last three years and when I reached my goal weight two years ago, I just didn't feel confident to "just eyeball it". I do take a weekend off from weighing and logging about every month or so. Even when I plan on splurging, I still log the food and it's funny when I see I went over by about 3000 calories, *hello, dinner, movie, and dessert*. When I went on vacation for two weeks, I packed my food scale with me.