Gymtimidation

2»

Replies

• Razzlebari
    Razzlebari Posts: 29 Member
    I got over my gymtimidation in college, when we had a super amazing workout facility that really was my only option. From the standpoint of someone relatively fit (now), I'd have to say - I never EVER have negative or judgmental thoughts about people who have a significant amount of weight to lose when they're on the machines. Hooray for them, because everyone at the gym is taking time out of the day to improve their health and fitness!

Walk in with confidence, my friend, because you deserve to use the facilities just as much as everyone else. As someone at the front desk to show you the machine(s) you'd like to focus on. Maybe just check out one machine each day, to get the lay of the land. Don't let your gymtimidation get in the way of your health - you deserve to go in and get the opportunity to use those machines, too. :)

Good luck!
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    I completely get what you're feeling like. But at least you can make it as far as the gym, I for one have the biggest battle getting there in the first place.
    All the gyms I've ever been to are obliged to make anyone who works out there have an induction on the equipment as even if they're used them before they want to make sure no one gets injured. So everyone at the gym will have a)been a beginner once and b)had to do an induction.
    From my experience once your in the gym most people are too hard concentrating on themselves and their workout to be paying attention to you. It's a bit like saying spiders are probably more scared of you then you are of them - people are probably more bothered about being self-concious themselves then paying attention to you. Try and focus on something else once your in there - like the tv screens they might have? Or music that you can take along? Or podcasts and radio?

Good luck! (sorry if what i've said above is a repeat of what everyone else has said :smile: )
  • jsaunde77
    jsaunde77 Posts: 13 Member
    Definitely take an orientation with someone who works at the gym, I think just about all of them offer this. You can also search online for a 3 day a week workout, I found one recently that helped fill in some of the gaps in my weight work.

Depending on what your gym has in the way of equipment, you might have to change a few routines around to suit your equipment, but it'll give you a decent roadmap to getting started. I always felt out of sorts until I got a solid plan together for my week.

Monday - Chest & Triceps & Abs/ 30 minutes cardio
    Wednesday - Back & Biceps & Abs/ 30 minutes cardio
    Friday - Legs & Shoulders & Abs / 30 minutes of cardio

Take the plunge, all the giant people started in the parking lot just like you are :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    I never would have gone into the gym the first time if I hadn't had an appointment with a trainer. Knowing that I was paying for this appointment and that someone was waiting for me was motivation to actually go. During the initial meeting, I told the trainer that I wanted her to tell me exactly what to do when I go to the gym and have x minutes to work out. Before leaving that first appointment, I scheduled a second one so that I knew someone would soon be asking me "so, how are your gym workouts going?" Good luck!
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    I just joined a gym yesterday. I have the same anixiety about the gym and I had to force myself to walk in and join in the first place. What I have done is signed up for 6 sessions with a personal trainer through the gym. I figure if I have specific appointment with a specific person then that will force me to go in. And then this way I can get used to walking into the gym, I will have a better idea as to the different types of people who use the gym and hopefully I will just feel more comfortable with the idea overall.

It is expensive to get a trainer. Mine is $45 per session. But I think it will be worth it!
  • I know how you feel. In fact, I moved last year and I could very well go to the gym right by my house but instead I chose to drive 10mi every day to my old town. I don't wanna be out of my comfort zone so I feel for you. The hardest part is making it inside. (If you're anything like me the thought of turning around once you're in may make you more anxious, and that could be a good thing). Take a friend and an ipod- music always helps. Just remember everyone is FAR more concerned with how they look than they are about judging anyone else. And from my experience everyone is either friendly or looking the other way like I am :)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    I went through the same thing. Last year I paid 4 months fees for a gym about 2 mins walking distance from my house in Boston. I went in and got super intimidated. They had a free trainer session as a promotion and I was terribly out of shape and 15 mins with the slightly sadistic trainer got me so discouraged, I never wanted to go back. I still went the next day but then I saw all these fit and strong and super thin women in makeup and really expensive looking workout clothes and fancy branded water bottles and fancy gym bags. I felt so out of place with my old capris and a plain tshirt and a dasani bottle. I felt like everyone was looking at me... I just never went back to that land of beautiful people. I couldn't get back my 4 months membership fees, so I wasted $79 x 4!!

Then we moved to a different city and bought a groupon for another gym. I went in nervously and was so happy to find that there were men and women of all shapes and sizes and ages and everyone seemed so much more down to earth and normal... Everybody there looked like they wanted to just get fit. I became a member after the groupon offer expired and haven't looked back since. Since I'm not a very social person, I got a trainer appointment and gosh he was just so nice! He told me what to do on all the machines and was very helpful. I go 5 days a week and love it! Maybe you need to find a gym where you can be comfortable. But for that, you need to first walk into one to check it out.. Put on loud music on ur ipod. It'll drown the outside world and you'll think less about everyone else... It works for me.
  • raayfrancy
    raayfrancy Posts: 100
    I felt that way when I started going to the gym several years ago when I started training for my national competitive soccer team on my own.

What helped me - was blocking everyone else out. Focusing only on what I was doing and what I needed to get done. Just focus on yourself - because that's who you're training for - nobody else.

I wish you the best! (: Take care
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    There was definetly some nervous anxiety attached.
    I have never been to a gym before and I am not sure what to do.
    I have never been the most social person........
    Women scare the hell out of me.......
    .............and everyone that I could see in there thru the window seemed so super fit....
    That must be hard for you, lots of people suffer from social anxiety including a good mate of mine, it's very common.

What has happened is that your body has moved on, but your mind is still stuck in the negative past, when you didn't see yourself as a "gym-person" and that's not helping your anxiety.

Can you arrange to meet a trainer there for an induction or training session? Explain that you're "a bit nervous", they really are used to people feeling that way.

If you have an appointment at a set time, it might be easier to convince yourself to go in.

Good luck.