struggling with overeating at night

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hey,

lately I have been struggling really hard to stop overeating at night time.
Anyone got any tips to help?

Also, if anyone else is in the same boat as me feel free to add me and we can support each other as needed :)

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For me, two things have been key: 1) I no longer keep crap in my kitchen that I know tempts me; 2) I keep healthier things on hand so that if I have a desire to overeat, it won't completely kill my calories for the day (ie. veggies, fruit, veggie soup, special K cereal - fine, the last one isn't actually healthy, but if I'm having a rough time, I can pour myself a big bowl and it's not a huge amount of calories). Sometimes I'll make myself a cup of tea or drink a glass of water before i eat anything if I'm feeling peckish in the evening. Other tactics I use include brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed early - I use a fluoride rinse that doesn't allow me to eat for 30 minutes. If I'm still hungry after those 30 minutes, then I have a snack. If not, then I probably wasn't actually hungry in the first place.
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    Options
    I have a problem with this too because I am busy with my kids that I do not eat enough during the day that night once it gets quiet i have am hungry!! I try to eat within my calorie count for the day and I try to stop eating by 9 at night!!!
    I know it is hard but do not beat yourself up over it just go with what makes you feel comfortable!!!!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I do too so I've started going to bed early or atleast getting into bed earlier. Of course brushing your teeth is healthy and a great weigh to signal to your mouth and stomach that you are done for the night. Just curl up with a good book or something to take your mind off food until you fall asleep.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking an Intermittent Fasting approach to maximize evening calories?
  • ronanoo
    ronanoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    good luck everyone! i'm a 24/7 eater, i've kept it within my allowed calories but i still need to get it under control
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I too am a late night eater. i don't know why, I just like consuming most of my calories at night. I'll eat a whole slew of healthy veggies, fruits, and proteins, but at night I get a "bring on the carbs!" sort of feeling.

I've found though, that it helps if plan for your late night snacks and log them early in the day. That way you know how many calories your snack is going to cost and can plan the rest of your day accordingly.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Same here! Evening eater. I can do great all day long and almost or completely blow it but stuffing my pie hole in the evening. I teach some nights and can do much, much better.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you feel you REALLY need to eat at night, why not try a cup of green tea instead? Other things that works for me is to eat berries (I microwave frozen berries and when they are warm they seem to help fight the cravings better), a protein shake (low calorie!), some unsweetened greek yoghurt or cottage cheese.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I have this too...by the time the kids are all in bed, it's quiet, I just want to sit down, watch a movie and have a snack. I try to make it something healthy, except for once a week when I have chocolate :D
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Once I started really paying attention to what I was consuming, I found myself less motivated to eat those extra calories at night. Honestly, after about 6:00 pm, I think of how horrible that heavy brick of food will feel in my stomach. I find that I sleep better if I don't eat after 6 or 7, too.
    Brushing your teeth when you think you're hungry helps, and drinking a large glass of water and waiting a few minutes can help determine if you're "really" hungry, or just stress hungry. You could always try a sugar-free gum or something, too, just to satisfy that need to chew on something. If all else fails, and you absolutely have to eat, then eat something high in fiber and low in calories, like celery or carrot sticks. Celery with peanut butter is one of my favorite "munchies" because it's pretty healthy, gives me an energy pick-me-up, and doesn't kill my calorie count for the day.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Keep busy and get out of the house if need be.

I go for an hour long walk in the evenings and if I am feeling particularly tempted I head out shopping or to visit a friend. I find just getting out of the house helps a lot.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    Can you tell yourself the kitchen is "closed" after a certain hour? I have an acquaintance who actually put up caution tape around the entry to her kitchen at 8pm every night so she couldn't eat passed then!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free gum whenever I get the munchies.
  • Cheryl1018
    Cheryl1018 Posts: 59
    Options
    Night eating was one of my biggest problems. I don't keep anything in the house anymore that is bad for snacking. A few things are in the kitchen for my husband and I make sure I stay out of his snacks. For evenings I have Special K, italian ice, almonds, and plain popcorn. I think logging everything into this site is a huge help, I think twice before snacking.

I think one problem is that I was just sitting and watching TV and eating. Now I try to stay online, read or work on an online course I am taking.
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking an Intermittent Fasting approach to maximize evening calories?

this is what ive been doing and it has helped a lot. I realized i only crave things or get hungry at night even if ive eaten good meals in the morning. So now i only eat from around 2-3pm until i go to bed around 11-12 and i can stay under my goal and feel better that i get to eat at night when i want. May not be for everyone though, i never usually ate breakfast anyhow.....
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    last week I ate very few refined carbs during the day, focusing on lean protein and greens (salad greens, kale, mixed collard/turnip) - and I noticed that when I did that during the day, it was a lot easier to not eat at night. I am usually a crazy night eater with everything in the kitchen calling my name, so I was really surprised that several days last week I was able to be "done" eating by 6:45 - 7:00. so that, plus distracting myself with MFP! good luck to you :)

ETA: also keeping snacks out of the house is a big one too. I used to get really pissed when I would troll the kitchen looking for something to eat and not find anything! made me so mad ... and FORCED me to admit I was eating b/c of boredom, and FORCED me to find something else to do. not fun at first, but very eye-opening for me.
  • gardengals
    gardengals Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do this too! First thing though is to fiqure out WHY??? Are you hungry ? Or bored? I know that when I eat it's because I am bored. I generally try to do something...read, journal, go hang out with my dog, call a friend. Another thing i do is drink green tea and then I go brush my teeth and floss etc. Once my mouth is super clean I don't want to eat anything more.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Raising my hand here on the night eating challenge! Since I have been doing MFP, it's been MUCH better! What I do in the evening if I'm really munchy is I keep some 85%+ cacao chocolate on hand in the freezer. Freezing it helps make it REALLY hard to eat! I also allow myself a large bowl (about a cup) of frozen blueberries, add about 1/4 cup of my granola and about 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. Putting the milk on top of the frozen berries kinda freezes the milk and the granola to the berries, and makes it a bit hard to eat. Takes longer that way! Just be careful the first time you try it -- I've learned to break the frozen berries apart without flipping them all over the place LOL
  • Candoall
    Candoall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free gum whenever I get the munchies.

Same here
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Keep busy and get out of the house if need be.

I go for an hour long walk in the evenings and if I am feeling particularly tempted I head out shopping or to visit a friend. I find just getting out of the house helps a lot.
    I totally agree with this. I get out of the house and have a quick walk.