struggling with overeating at night

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i can't really go for a walk at night time where i live without getting hurt?

plus i still live with my family cant exactly throw out all their food now can i
  • leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tea/water/gum chewing/ going to bed early.

if that doesnt work, i try yelling at myself for awhile (haha) basically just trying to figure out what it is i actually want besides food.

also i find that watching TV triggers cravings for me (i guess i ate in front of the TV as a child) and I try to get away from it.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A few possible reasons:

-If you're watching TV, every other commercial is going to be tempting you with big juicy cheeseburgers, fries, ice-cream, etc. So big surprise that you get the munchies.
    -Do you eat a good breakfast? If your body is used to to not getting much food until lunch the next day, then it's going to crave a lot of food before bed.
    -Do you have a bunch of tasty treats just sitting there waiting for you? What do you thinks going to happen? Never rely on willpower for your diet, it will always let you down (your willpower isn't going to consistently beat out millions of years evolutionary instinct.) Don't keep junk food in the house!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Casein Protein/Cottage Cheese are slow digesting protein that will help you stay full...\

Try eating either of those an hour before bed ....I plan casein protein in my calorie count first thng when I wake up so I don't go over.

good luck
  • buckeyes502
    buckeyes502 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's OK to have a "cheat" or "spike" meal every once and a while. It keeps your body confused and burning fat, not going into "starvation" mode.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Lite Pringles and Pace Chunky Salsa will run you under 150 calories, gets more veggies in and lets you feel the slightest bit like you cheated because you get the potato chip effect. Yum.
  • yeti2000
    yeti2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    Chewing sugarless gum can help keep your mind of being hungry. Also keep busy with stuff to keep your mind occupied. Another trick is everyt ime you think about being hungry drink a full glass of water. Sometimes our bodies think we are hungry when actually we are thirsty.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For me I have always liked to eat late at night these days I go to bed early then im not tempted to snack x
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    A great & filling night snack for me is a little bit of oatmeal w/cinnamon b/c it is soooo filling....I also have an issue with eating at night when I am up...I try to go to bed early with my son but I always get back up b/c of being hungry usually or I just can't sleep...Sometimes I will make 1 scoop of chocolate protein (if I have enough calories to do this) & mix it with water or skim milk & it's like having a glass of chocolate milk to curb the sweet tooth at night or you can warm it up like hot cocoa! HTH!

Add me as a friend if you like as well!! :)
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    I do too so I've started going to bed early or atleast getting into bed earlier. Of course brushing your teeth is healthy and a great weigh to signal to your mouth and stomach that you are done for the night. Just curl up with a good book or something to take your mind off food until you fall asleep.

This helps me too. I am a major night owl and if I stay up after my son and hubby are in bed I almost always end up snacking. Now I try to get ready for bed and turn in earlier. I read a book or watch a show on my computer with my headphones. I have tried to say, "I wont eat after 7pm", but that type of thing does not work for me. You just have to try a few things, but getting in bed earlier has been best for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I keep enough calories to ensure I *can* have some (reasonable and measured) treats at night. I'd hate to finish my dinner and know there's nothing left for me to munch on while surfing the net or watching the telly.

And I also make sensible choices in terms of the things I do snack on.

Is your love for salty or sweet things?

Sweets wise, I find fresh mango sliced up, or a bowl of cherries hits the spot at least as well as sugary sweets will.
    Dried fruit - chopped up dates, mango etc, maybe mixed with some nice nuts - lovely nibbly snack.

Cedar toffee / honeycomb / meringue - all very sweet but not particularly high cal, if only sugar will do. But if I really want it, I'll have chocolate if I have the cals left.
    Hot chocolate with skimmed milk - soothing and reasonably low cal.

Savoury wise
    olives in brine, gherkins, pickles make yummy low cal snacks.
    Popcorn can be low cal if you don't over butter / oil it.
    matzos with a light cheese... very nice.
  • Ildiko17
    Ildiko17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know that I like to snack late at night, so I make sure I've either burned enough calories or save calories to enjoy my snacking. As a single mom, it's my only time to myself and depriving myself won't work. I have learned to make better choices with my snacks though--cucumbers, peppers (with Light Marzetti Ranch dip, only 60 calories for 2 Tbsp) or I'll have Honey Nut Cheerios, Special K Chips, 100 calorie popcorn...
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with overeating at night too, especially when I'm sitting in front of the TV! They say when that happens you should just go to bed, but I can't fall asleep that easy.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I try to eat earlier in the day so I'm not starving come night time. I try to cut off my eating by 9:30 PM, and if I'm a little hungry still and have the calorie allotment for it, I'll drink a huge cup of honey vanilla chamomile tea with a tablespoon of heavy cream, and try to go to bed earlier so I'm not dwelling on what I could eat that I really don't need.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    work on a few coloring pages to occupy your mind on something instead of food!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I get like that every once in a while. I just go to bed. I know I won't be able to satisfy that little monster - It's mostly head hunger for me - so I just put him to bed and he's gone by morning.
  • jadjul
    jadjul Posts: 1
    Options
    go to bed early. i don't mean to be flip... that is my big problem too..... drink a glass of water before you snack. julie
  • Fit2Tri
    Fit2Tri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! Glad to see that I am not the only one who struggles with the late-nite bingeing! I was doing well in 2011 when I was VERY active, but during my wife's 3rd Trimester, I slacked off and started snacking and eating more late at night. ICE CREAM!! (of course, with whipped cream and chocolate chips!) Something that I found that worked for me(a self-confessed chocoholic!), is a meal/protein shake. It curbs both my appetite AND my chocolate cravings. I drink it at around 7pm and have no cravings the rest of the night! Bonus is that it is good for me. Worth checking out.
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am terrible with this as well. I am a nurse aide and i work from 2pm to 10pm my "dinner break" is at 4:30 at work so @ 10:30 when i get home i am usually starving. I Love shakeology. Its not for everyone but it works for me only 150 calories and im good!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    maybe you aren't eating enough during your day, and also satifying some of your cravings.

here is an article that takes into effect the mental, and physical effects of having a little chocolate in your day.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2459&printer=1