BodyBuilding-Weight Gain And I'm Not Sure Why

Options
I was losing weight between 1 to 2 pounds per week steadily. Everything was fine. I eat cleanly, mostly vegetables, some fruits, some greek plain no fat yogurt for extra protein but that's the only dairy product. Little to to no processed foods all in all. I had 20 pounds to go and so I started weight lifting and strength training about 1 month or so ago. Now I have gained weight. My calories level if fairly low (1200-1500). I exercise daily (spinning which is minimally a 400 calorie burn) (weight lifting 1 hr per day). I WAS eating some protein bars a couple of weeks back but was still within my calorie limit. Is it normal to gain a substantial amount of weight? I've heard you gain weight when you strength train but I'm talking around 7-8 pounds!!! Bonafide weight-not just water.
I do like the results I;m seeing but I do not like the weight gained last week.
I would really like to hear from someone who has been THROUGH THIS EXPERIENCE a while ago and LIFTS A SUBTANTIAL AMOUNT OF WEIGHT and is familiar to this story. I am about ready to quit and just do cardio so I can go back to weight loss. but my gut tells me to hang in there a while. I am a female and am not trying to look like a bodybuilder, just trying for some definition..
Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to gain a substantial amount of weight?

When you first start weight lifting, yes.
    Bonafide weight-not just water.

It's likely to be mostly fluids unless your calorie intake count is drastically off.
    I do like the results I;m seeing but I do not like the weight gained last week.

If you like what you see in terms of results, why on earth would you ever be concerned with what the scale does? Doesn't the mirror (and your lifts) tell you that you are succeeding? Unless you have to make a certain bodyweight for a competition or for specific health reasons, then why would you care provided you're clearly making progress and looking better?
    I am a female and am not trying to look like a bodybuilder, just trying for some definition..
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Throw away your scale for a couple of months.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    ^What he said.

Personally, I put on like 5lbs when I started and they stayed on for around a month. I'm eating way more than you though so it could be different.

How much are you actually lifting? I would be starving if I ate as much as you. I lift twice a week and just started crossfit three times a week though.
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ^What he said.

Personally, I put on like 5lbs when I started and they stayed on for around a month. I'm eating way more than you though so it could be different.

How much are you actually lifting? I would be starving if I ate as much as you. I lift twice a week and just started crossfit three times a week though.

Well the max I net is 1200 and I still have body fat available so I doubt I'm in some sort of "starvation mode". I calculated it all out and I should get maybe 1600 maximum calories with my height 5' 10", age, and activity level which was set to sedentary until I upped-it for lifting and strength training. I can handle 5 pounds or even 7 but I still want to get down in body fat at least. I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance that I won't gain 10 lbs back.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Unless you write your weight on your forehead nobody know what you weight but they can see what you look like.

At a deficit, you can gain a bit of what is called newbie muscle gain but it is not significant. You are retaining water and believe me you won't end up looking like a bodybuilder.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Take photos, I am up 2 lbs from increased calories and weight training but I look way better. My left profile photo was one month ago at 126 lbs, the right photo was recent at 129 lbs.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Check out these groups b/c for lifting you may not be eating enough calories & your body is going to hold on to everything:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • nasja1984
    Options
    Yes I probably should physically throw it away. It's usually off anyway and I have to go by the gym's scale.
  • nasja1984
    Options
    Thank You
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I put on weight, not a lot, and I have since lost it. It did not bother me as during that period (about 6 weeks) I started to get muscle definition and I dropped a dress size. I was warned by my PT that this might happen, but it still was a bit disheartening.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes I probably should physically throw it away. It's usually off anyway and I have to go by the gym's scale.

I locked mine in my husbands trunk. It was useless to me, photos tell a truer story especially when it comes to weight training.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have not lost an ounce since I started lifting two months ago, but I fit back into my denim shorts that I last wore in November (when I was 7 lbs lighter) and could not get over my hips after Christmas...

Frankly, I don't give a damn about the scale anymore - I look better, I fit into my clothes, so what does a number on the scale matter?? It's not on my resume, and neither is it tattooed on my forehead, so why even bother with it??
  • nasja1984
    Options
    To those who say I'm retaining water....Isn't water retention temporary as long as you aren't eating too much sodium? I took a water pill because I DID have a few days of higher than normal sodium but even taking the lasix (i got it from mom RX) I did not lose the water. I only took a half a pill though.
  • nasja1984
    Options
    I have not lost an ounce since I started lifting two months ago, but I fit back into my denim shorts that I last wore in November (when I was 7 lbs lighter) and could not get over my hips after Christmas...

Frankly, I don't give a damn about the scale anymore - I look better, I fit into my clothes, so what does a number on the scale matter?? It's not on my resume, and neither is it tattooed on my forehead, so why even bother with it??

For Insurance reasons- I want to be at the bottom of BMI. Shopping Insurance Now
  • nasja1984
    Options
    I put on weight, not a lot, and I have since lost it. It did not bother me as during that period (about 6 weeks) I started to get muscle definition and I dropped a dress size. I was warned by my PT that this might happen, but it still was a bit disheartening.
    Thanks, good to hear. I'll just try to ignore it then.
  • shannoni_23
    shannoni_23 Posts: 25
    Options
    I haven't gained anything since I started lifting weights, but I'm not losing much anymore either. I lost 40 lbs in 4 months. I didn't start lifting weights until about 3 months in tho. But each week I can feel my clothes getting looser. So that's all that counts. I was happy to get a big chunk of weight off in the beginning, but now I'm not as concerned with the scale.
    My old trainer showed us research about women bulking up, and you have to go to some pretty drastic measures to get "manly". Even with protein bars/shakes everyday, lifting HEAVY weight, I never got manly. And that was like 2 years worth of that routine w/ him. So I wouldn't worry about bulking up.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good to hear. I'll just try to ignore it then.

I started lifting heavy and upped my calories from 1200 - 1600 in the same week and put on 2.8kgs (6lbs)... it all came back off again within 2-3wks.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    ^What he said.

Well the max I net is 1200 and I still have body fat available so I doubt I'm in some sort of "starvation mode". I calculated it all out and I should get maybe 1600 maximum calories with my height 5' 10", age, and activity level which was set to sedentary until I upped-it for lifting and strength training. I can handle 5 pounds or even 7 but I still want to get down in body fat at least. I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance that I won't gain 10 lbs back.

I doubt you're in starvation mode too but you'll have a hard time making strength gains if you're eating so little. Maybe you can try to net around 1800.You'll lose weight but it'll just be a little slower. That's better than stalling all together though.

I'm 5'3 134lbs and I aim to net around 1700 but its really more like 2000ish cause I'm always going over now. I've been doing it this way since I weighed 135 and started to lift heavy. At first my weight went up with the increase in food but now its going down and I'm a lot smaller.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    To those who say I'm retaining water....Isn't water retention temporary as long as you aren't eating too much sodium? I took a water pill because I DID have a few days of higher than normal sodium but even taking the lasix (i got it from mom RX) I did not lose the water. I only took a half a pill though.
    It is not the same. Think of it as inflammation. Your muscles have tiny tears in it and your body is trying to repair them...... it is a good thing so no need to try to get rid of that water. Also I would recommend eating way more or you will burn out hard and fast. I am a 4'11'' girl and I eat between 1600 and 1900 calories a day
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No. It also has to do with glycogen storage in the muscles that cause water retention.

Honestly, no expert here, but I dont get the taking diuretics. In my experience messing with that can cause you to end up retaining water if you end up dehydrated. Like others have said, the scale is just a number and is not necessarily an accurate reflection of what you look like.

Like someone else above, I maintained a higher weight for several weeks when I started lifting heavy bit saw considerable changes in my body. I'm in the throw the scale put club. And the diuretics (just because it is rx doesnt mean it is good for you to take)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is not the same. Think of it as inflammation. Your muscles have tiny tears in it and your body is trying to repair them...... it is a good thing so no need to try to get rid of that water. Also I would recommend eating way more or you will burn out hard and fast. I am a 4'11'' girl and I eat between 1600 and 1900 calories a day

And this.
    I am shorter than you and I eat more.