Biking for Weight Loss?

2»

Replies

• DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Lots of great advice here! I work in a bike shop, so here's my $.02 :)

Absolutely go to a bike shop - staff is knowledgeable and the bikes are of better quality and put together properly. Most offer a basic fit when you purchase your bike, as well as a tune up after 100-200 miles to tighten up the cables that stretch (totally normal for new cables to stretch after an initial period). Our shop also does free yearly tunes during the off season. You an get a decent bike for $300-$500 so know your budget.

Think about what kind of riding you want to do. A lot of new riders are afraid of road bikes and go in adamant that they want a mountain bike because it's lower to the ground and has fat, knobby tires. You said you plan to ride on paved trails and roads - that being the case, don't get a mountain bike!! If a road bike isn't your style, get a nice hybrid/comfort/fitness bike, one that has 700 tires on it and flat handle bars. You'll sit more upright, and the set up is going to be more like a mountain bike in terms of how the shifters work and whatnot, but it will be much more efficient on the road and when you're riding in traffic. You'll also be able to get a lot more distance in on that kind of bike than on a mountain bike. Even if you have some gravel trails, you can still ride a hybrid bike as the tires are fatter than a regular road bike.

The best advice I can give is to really consider the kind of riding you want to do and what you think you may want to do. Are sprint triathlons a possibility? Riding a community bike event or century? Commuting by bike? Cross country riding or vacationing by bike? One can quickly "out grow" a bike. I went from a comfort trail bike to a larger and lighter commuter bike in 6 months, and I got a road bike a year after that. I've also "borrowed" a friend's mountain bike that she no longer rides. I primarily ride my road bike, and the commuter is my secondary bike for going to school and what not. Again, I work in a shop and my "job" is actually to ride bikes - I lead group rides on the weekends. It's definitely a great workout, but you become accustomed to it pretty quickly. To ensure a good workout, constantly challenge yourself by tackling hills, doing intervals, and joining a local group ride - nothing pushes you like riding with faster people :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    I lost 40 lbs by commuting by bike every day.

If you can swing it, get a road bike. Preferably one with a compact crank.
    Road bikes are best for traveling on any hard surface because they are the most efficient bikes and have a wide variety of hand positions. If you are riding a flat bar hybrid, and your arms or hands get tired, what can you do? Stop biking. If you were on a road bike, you could start riding on the hoods, then transition into the drops, then on to the flat, then back to the hoods
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    I am “That Guy”, you know, the one on the road bike riding in traffic.
    I use my bikes as a form of both exercise and personal therapy. A good bike is one of the best single investments you can make for your health.
    I am not a small guy, I am what most cyclist refer to as a “Clydesdale, or Clyde” at 6’1” and 250 lbs I thought I would need a mtn bike to support my weight, so when I started riding I bought a mtn bike, and rode it a bit and lost interest. The knobby tires, and the rough ride, even with the front shock it was not a great ride in the city. I spent a great deal of money trying to make that bike into a commuter bike, slick tires, fenders, different hand grips, rack, lights and it worked well, but it never felt right.
    This past year I picked up a road bike. And all I can tell you is that is you are riding on paved trails or on the road, it is outstanding, I can commute to work (15km each way) in 35-40 min, I feel confident riding in traffic and it is a fun ride as well, but I like speed.
    My wife on the other hand does not like the geometry of the road bike, she rides an eight speed Linus Commuter bike, it is a bit more upright ride but with the larger tire diameter of a road bike.
    Just like everyone else has said, go to a bike shop and look there, it is worth the extra investment to get fitted properly, and for the after sale service. As well with most bike shops, you can take the bikes on longer test rides to see if you like the feel. Try out several different styles and find what works for you.
    Lastly, get a good helmet, bell and rear light, I use the rear light whenever I am in traffic, it just helps to make you more visible.
    Good luck and find the right bike for you to have fun on!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    I guess it depends on what you use it for, but I'm not sold on the road bike thing if you're just looking to get into riding for pleasure. I'm a fan of hybrid bikes - bikes that are designed for the road but usually with the more upright riding position of a mountain bike - strictly for the comfort factor. I have a Trek Allant. I love riding it in traffic because I am upright and able to look over most of the cars to see what is coming up. It's a very comfortable ride that makes errand running and getting around the city a lot of fun.
  • Zoeotis
    Zoeotis Posts: 9 Member
    I'd definatly recomend cycling, I got my first bike since I was a teenager about 3 years ago. I bought an old second hand one to begin with to see if I'd stick with it and then this year I bought a aluminium frame trail/town hybrid. My first one was a heavy steel frame and had just 3 gears but I found that I totally love cycling. My new one cost £195 which I don't believe is very expensive for what it is, it's got a lighter frame and more gears, I use it to commute to work I cycle to my Zumba classes and go to the local shops with it. I can easily cycle 25 miles a week without realising it. And I've noticed a difference in the shape of my bum and thighs...... they look ace:laugh: .

If you want a wee bit inspiration check out some of mark beaumonts videos, not really specifically about weight loss but about achieveing your goals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzhPZjWgLt4

If you are definatly going to stick with it, do a bit of research on getting the best bike for your budget, if you are not sure if you are going to keep with it, maybe buy a decent second hand bike that you can sell on if it's not for you.

as a warning, watch out for grit, I fell off my bike last week when I skidded in grit and have a very colourful scabby elbow and a blue thigh, but hey, these things happen:wink:
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Another cool thing I like to do (because I'm a geek)... If you have a smart phone, install an app like Endomondo and take your phone with you on rides. It'll track your progress and pace etc. I like using a feature on there to race against one of your previous rides. It's a great way to 'compete' even if you dont have someone to ride with.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Yes! Biking is great fun and burns calories! I have a Specialized Hybrid which I love. I agree with the tip to check Craigslist. Getting in a few hills will give you the effect of high intensity intervals that burns more calories. It is so fun! Rollerblading is another fun one for summer :)
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Bump!
    I found an awesome Trek bike on Craigslist over the weekend for 100 bucks...in almost new condition. You can burn 300 plus calories easily in 30 minutes riding uphill depending on your weight!
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Congrats on the CL score! And, yes depending on weight you can burn way more than 300 in 30 minutes. My average is around 1000 an hour right now... Guessing you weigh less than I do ;)