27 But Eat Like a 5 Year Old.

Options
I grew up with horrible eating habits that have translated into my adult life. I had issues with my weight in high school, then got down to a healthy weight in my early 20s. Now, I seem to have gotten into a tough spot with my weight. I rarely stay on track and give up easily, but I want this to work out this time. Can anyone offer advice? I know my logs are pretty horrible; you'll see what I mean about bad eating habits!!!

Replies

• sllida
    sllida Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That was me, 10 or 15 years ago. I had to learn how to eat.

But! You'll need to go in to settings and make your diary public if you're asking us to look at it. :smile:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    1 open your diary to public
    2 what is your height and weight?
    3 what is your end goal?
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That's so weird. It was set to public!!!

It's public now, so you all can check it out.

I'm at 220, 5'6 and my goal is to be about 140. I've never been that small in my adult life, and would like to be able to say I accomplished something without giving up. The weight has affected my self esteem, relationships, every aspect of my life.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    First thing, is eat more! You've eaten under 1000 calories every day...

Are you logging your exercise? If you aren't doing any, you should start. Not only will it make you fitter, it'll mean you can eat more of what you want!
  • ilovesparkle
    Options
    Ha. Exercise and I are not friends. I try to do it, but have real issues with motivation!
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Part of motivation is no energy. You won't have the energy to exercise due to the quality and quantity of food you're accustomed to eating.

As soon as I went from 1700 to 2700 a day 2 days ago I feel like a completely different person. I want to go do things I no longer struggle to.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You've just gotta find some kind of exercise that you LIKE. That will make it easier to stick with it. It doesn't have to be running or the elliptical. Do you like to dance? Rollerblade? Swim? Hike? Walk? Play volleyball? Basketball?
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I do the same. Sometimes I'll plan to eat bad but counter it by exercising the amount I need to burn to be in check on calories.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You might want to learn how to cook if you don't know how, that's a lot of frozen dinners you have eaten so far.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ha. Exercise and I are not friends. I try to do it, but have real issues with motivation!

That's something you need to find in yourself when you are ready. If you don't want to change, you won't.
  • bradthemedic
    Options

That's something you need to find in yourself when you are ready. If you don't want to change, you won't.

This is truth.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're thread title is wrong, since I think 5 yr olds might eat more then you do
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I grew up with horrible eating habits that have translated into my adult life. I had issues with my weight in high school, then got down to a healthy weight in my early 20s. Now, I seem to have gotten into a tough spot with my weight. I rarely stay on track and give up easily, but I want this to work out this time. Can anyone offer advice? I know my logs are pretty horrible; you'll see what I mean about bad eating habits!!!
    I think the best weapon is to become informed. Read and research healthy eating versus crap versus starvation, which based on your diary is what you are doing. You need to eat in order to have energy to excercise, and don't kid yourself you can't do this without excercise, so started trying different things and see if you can find something you like. Walking, jogging, biking,swimming,dancing,Zumba the choices are endless, and you need to add some weight training. Don't feel overwhelmed take one day and one step at a time.
  • ilovesparkle
    Options
    I know how to cook. I just don't do it often because it's only me, and by the time I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is cook.

But I guess that has a lot to do with the energy levels. Vicious cycle.
  • Frock_Tart
    Frock_Tart Posts: 23
    Options

I am EXACTLY the same, even now I am thinking about gving in and I ony got back on track this morning. Bloody heck!
  • ilovesparkle
    Options
    It also goes back to being told that the more I eat, the more I weigh. So i have a hard time letting go of that ideology.
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    I know how to cook. I just don't do it often because it's only me, and by the time I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is cook.

But I guess that has a lot to do with the energy levels. Vicious cycle.
    You know how to turn the oven and microwave on. You don't know how to cook so stop lying to yourself. You couldn't even cook a chicken breast for dinner for yourself.

Don't be ashamed, we are all here to lose weight. But being in denial is what will hurt most.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've just gotta find some kind of exercise that you LIKE. That will make it easier to stick with it. It doesn't have to be running or the elliptical. Do you like to dance? Rollerblade? Swim? Hike? Walk? Play volleyball? Basketball?

^^^THIS!

I totally relate to what you are saying about not liking exercise. Find something you LIKE to do. Tennis, Zumba, mini-golf, frisbee, ANYTHING to get you moving. And definitely eat more. I was at 1200 cals for about 2 weeks and then suddenly it felt like I was walking underwater. I had ZERO energy. I upped my cals to 1500 and it made all the difference. Plus, on active days I eat a lot extra since I NEED extra. You got to fuel your body!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Planning. Planning. Planning. I spend one day making salads for my lunch for the week and menu planning. You don't have to cook elaborately to eat healthy. Shop the way you plan on eating. Take snacks with you when you're leaving the house so you won't be tempted by fast food.