I dont drink Alcohol

Options

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Not to interrupt the sober circlejerk happening here, but I'm just chiming in on the behalf of folks who *do* drink but aren't a**holes about it to those who don't.

I think a lot of us non-drinkers already did that. :tongue:
    Relaaaaax. Nobody's criticising! :flowerforyou:
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    OR (if you are from the US) tell them, HELLO I am not 21~ I can't drink!
    Canada it's 19, except Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec which it's 18!
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also don't drink any more, most of my friends have accepted this and don't say anything about it, but others can get really aggressive with it. if anyone tries to talk me into whilst I'm in the pub I just say to them "If you think me not drinking is annoying, you should see yourself when your a drunken, unintelligible, spew-covered mess. In fact, you should be grateful that I tolerate that crap whilst I'm sober. Now back off and let me drink my water". That never fails to shut them up :laugh:
  • slimpickings36
    Options
    I totally know what you mean I do like a drink but have decided to only have a drink on a friday night (not binge drink ) but my husband drinks every night of the week I have tried talking to him about it but its up to him. Well to cut a long story short I said to my hubby last night I have really bad period pains he replyed get some wine down you that will make you feel better I replyed no thanks I,m not drinking which made him say you being boring then which I could of lost it but I just walked away I just wish people did,nt think being happy and fun revolves around alcohol. Stick to your guns and don't give in if you don't want to drink then don't
    good luck x
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't drink either. I do like the taste of some alcoholic drinks, but when I discovered how many calories they had in them I just thought no, this is so not worth it. The amount I eat per day NOW could be consumed in just two glasses of what I used to drink! Wasted calories. So I haven't drunk for almost three years now.

Like you, I will have a glass of wine on my birthday and Christmas/New Year. This is INSANE when you think about it, because people think you have them as a "treat" but you don't even LIKE them! You're only drinking them to shut people up!

On my 21st last year, my parents and friends were all like "we have to buy you a bottle, it's your 21st, what do you like best?!" but that was pointless because I would never drink it!

I don't preach to people why they SHOULDN'T drink alcohol (even though there are several reasons) so I don't see why others feel the need to preach to my why I SHOULD.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I don't preach to people why they SHOULDN'T drink alcohol (even though there are several reasons) so I don't see why others feel the need to preach to my why I SHOULD.

Yes, exactly. If I sat in the pub telling my friends why I don't think they should drink then I would expect the aggressive backlash telling me to drink. Instead, I just sit there as normal with my water and never bring it up. I'd say 95% of of my social circle will just accept it but there's always a few that feel the need to question and tease me about it.

A bit like when you resist the cakes at the office and return to your desk to eat an apple. There's always that one co-worker that finds it to be joke material.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking to run a marathon, which i recently completed. During the progress, everyone understood that i didnt want to smash it and then run 20 odd miles hungover and my friends totally abused me as the designated driver ( i also made small profits). I went out for one post marathon bender on saturday, and i've decided its probably not worth it, a drinkers famous words are "never again" But i might come over and join you. No one calls me boring, i think a fair few people call me obsessive behind my back. Their requirements to always be hammered to enjoy a friday night shows a lack of imagination, alcohol can enhance, but shouldnt rule.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK it is 18 also.

I ~do~ drink infrequently and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been drunk my whole life (I'm 48). I am considering giving it up completely - one thing that concerns me though is the designated driver thing. I don't want the guys to think I am a free taxi who they can keep out as late as they wanna be out (often 3-4am) and then have no respect for the inside of my vehicle (if you understand me). I really don't mind driving them, as long as the hours are reasonable and I am not cleaning the result of THEIR debauchery from MY car (and living with the smell that, no matter how much you clean, seems to stick around way past funny).
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Not to interrupt the sober circlejerk happening here, but I'm just chiming in on the behalf of folks who *do* drink but aren't a**holes about it to those who don't. If your friends give you grief about not wanting to drink with them, find new friends.

As far as pushy guys in bars go, "No thanks, I'm driving tonight" is an effective refusal of both the explicit offer of a drink and the implicit offer of sex.

circlejerk?

Not heard that word before, hoping it isnt rude.

I never said people who drink are a**holes, and i never said the people who put pressure on me are my close friends. I also never said i get chatted up.

So thank you for your very defensive input.

Sorry, Reddit habit. "Circlejerk" in the sense I used it refers to a conversation wherein the only thing anyone expresses is some variant of "I am in agreement with that statement." It's mostly pointless because there's no real discussion going on. When I hit reply, basically all of the posts in this thread were basically "I don't drink either!"

I also never said people who drink are a**holes, fullstop. People who drink AND GIVE YOU A HARD TIME ABOUT NOT DOING SO are a**holes, it doesn't matter how close you are with them. It's good that your close friends don't bother you about your preferences, but some people aren't so lucky, and that was the audience to whom "get some new friends" was directed. Others have also replied to this thread. I am acknowledging them and the situations they describe as well.
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    Not to interrupt the sober circlejerk happening here, but I'm just chiming in on the behalf of folks who *do* drink but aren't a**holes about it to those who don't. If your friends give you grief about not wanting to drink with them, find new friends.

As far as pushy guys in bars go, "No thanks, I'm driving tonight" is an effective refusal of both the explicit offer of a drink and the implicit offer of sex.

circlejerk?

Not heard that word before, hoping it isnt rude.

I never said people who drink are a**holes, and i never said the people who put pressure on me are my close friends. I also never said i get chatted up.

So thank you for your very defensive input.

Sorry, Reddit habit. "Circlejerk" in the sense I used it refers to a conversation wherein the only thing anyone expresses is some variant of "I am in agreement with that statement." It's mostly pointless because there's no real discussion going on. When I hit reply, basically all of the posts in this thread were basically "I don't drink either!"

I also never said people who drink are a**holes, fullstop. People who drink AND GIVE YOU A HARD TIME ABOUT NOT DOING SO are a**holes, it doesn't matter how close you are with them. It's good that your close friends don't bother you about your preferences, but some people aren't so lucky, and that was the audience to whom "get some new friends" was directed. Others have also replied to this thread. I am acknowledging them and the situations they describe as well.

Thanks for explaining "Circlejerk", I had honestly never heard that word before, and you were right, it was a circlejerk ha ha! :flowerforyou:
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    I dont drink anything but water, green tea, orange juice and a coca cola once every special occasion, ;)
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking to run a marathon, which i recently completed. During the progress, everyone understood that i didnt want to smash it and then run 20 odd miles hungover and my friends totally abused me as the designated driver ( i also made small profits). I went out for one post marathon bender on saturday, and i've decided its probably not worth it, a drinkers famous words are "never again" But i might come over and join you. No one calls me boring, i think a fair few people call me obsessive behind my back. Their requirements to always be hammered to enjoy a friday night shows a lack of imagination, alcohol can enhance, but shouldnt rule.

I've had my share of "never again"s Since I stopped drinking I don't do anything and it's boring as **** but atleast I don't feel like **** every day
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I have the same issue with sweets. Cake and what not. I don't like it (and don't like how it makes me feel). But same thing: people shoving sweets at me at parties (graduation season is upon us) and acting like I've offended them when I say no.

Stay firm!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am a non-drinker, also because I don't like the taste of it, however, I have never felt pressured to drink by anyone. I have never noticed anyone acting strangely toward me because I don't drink.

Sure, people offer me drinks and I say "no thank you". I can't think of any time when anyone acted shocked or weird about it.

Perhaps you are overthinking it?

I have a friend who always says the best thing, "No one is thinking about you and what you're doing. They're too busy thinking about themselves."
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I don't drink either. I have never really found a need to drink it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I have the same issue with sweets. Cake and what not. I don't like it (and don't like how it makes me feel). But same thing: people shoving sweets at me at parties (graduation season is upon us) and acting like I've offended them when I say no.

Stay firm!

OK, now THAT'S weird. :wink:
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lolololo circleherk can also be a VERY derogatory term in the same use.. So I would caution the use of it... JS.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I knew someone in college who didn't drink. She used to say she was allergic to alcohol. It may be a little dishonest but people would be more likely to stop bothering you about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Stay firm!

OK, now THAT'S weird. :wink:
    :tongue: Just hate the stuff. Especially frosting. ACK.