I dont drink Alcohol

Options

Replies

• propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In other news: The ad banner across the top of my screen as I'm reading this topic is for Brookhaven Facility for Women, an Alchoholic recovery center.... These intuitive ads can be a little creepy sometimes...

I drink rarely, because I am married to an alchoholic and have wayyyy too much experience on this subject. It is very much a personal choice and I hate when people preach about it one way or the other.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Just tell them all that you're a raging alcoholic and when you drink you get in fights and one time you woke up in some dudes house and you have NO CLUE how you got there. That'll shut em up.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I don't trust people that don't drink.....:drinker:
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't drink either. I just tell people "Who needs alcohol when you're as fun as me?" Alcohol doesn't make anything fun. It always amazes me that people think a good activity is to go out and get a few drinks. Really? How about dancing? Or tennis? Or just playing games with a big group of people.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both quit drinking last year. Best decision ever.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink either.

I just tell them politely "no thanks" and change the subject. If they harass me, I give them the stink eye.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not a drinker. I had issues with it and I've been sober for 8 years 3+ months and counting. It's tough.... all the women at work want to have a 'wine and cheese' party. Which means someone brings some rotel queso and chips and they all get drunk or something - like a grown person slumber party. I spoke up about being a non-drinker though didn't go into detail as to why and they all joked that I could have Kool-Aid. I'm already the youngest person in my office and it's a bit on the annoying side. They just expect everyone to drink. I do work with a man who doesn't drink either for the same reasons the OP stated. At least I can huddle with him and talk nonsense for a while without feeling mobbed to drink. I do find it hard dating in my area though. That's one of the main sources of recreation - get buzzed, go out to a club, drink more, take home some halfway decent looking person and then start the party over again the next night... or drunk fishing.... or drunk mudding... or drunk dancing at the VFW hall... ya know, all the stuff that just doesn't sound like fun to me. Not my idea of a good time.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    omg! same here only difference is I do drink like once in a blue moon really like maybe once or twice every other month.. I use to party hard with my friends and even down to doing bad drugs and whatnot but THEN I decided you know, that lifestyle wasnt really for me and yeaup now, all my friends always want to drink and try to get me to drink and cuz they say im just not as chill to hang with unless im partaking in all the fun with them.. ugh... I just really dont like to drink no more.. oh and drugs easy peasy to get off glad I never once got an addiction.. so yea

I LIKE WORKING OUT AND TRAINING WAYY MORE THAN I EVER LIKED TO PARTY.. :)
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm not a drinker either and never have been. I really don't like going to bars with friends as I don't really see the fun in it. Most of them know not to bother me with alcohol and just use me as their dd. With new people (college roommate) I tend to pretend I'm busy and stay away from drinking environments.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Same here.. Even tho i did on the past, I have been real drunk 3 times in my life, last time was in 2008 when I went to Cancun .

But I cant even smell alcohol now, makes me wanna puke. Ill just have a beer on a really hot day. Other than that, no thanks. People is always asking me, hey, what are u doing on a friday night at home, u should be out partying?... SIGHS, first I dont drink, second I dont dance, so clubs/bars are hella boring to me thank u very much. Most of the people call me crazy when I say this. WTF U dont need alcohol to have a good time.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't drink. I just tell them that I don't drink but feel free to drink yourselves. Usually his is good enough. If they push I tell them I enjoy watching them be drunk fools much more sober. That usually gets them to leave me alone. Or I walk away. But it is very rare as my friends all know why I don't drink and respect my decision. It is usually the friends of my friends that push it. I never tell them not to drink or lecture them either.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink in many years. I hangout with my friends all the time, even at bars. I just order coffee or coke or something and have fun. If there is a friend who is pressuring me, I tell them I don't drink. If the pressure continues, I tell them in my serious tone to "chill out, I'm here to hangout, not to drink". After that the next offer to get me to drink usually means me walking out on them. I treat people with respect and expect to be respected.

New people I meet, I just tell them that I don't drink. There are some immature people who try to make you feel like *kitten* for not drinking, to which my response is usually to "go f^%# yourself".

Overall, its really all about who you chose to be friends with. Like I said, I hangout with my friends all the time and all of them like to drink alot. I, don't. Your friends are what you wanna hangout with, not alcohol.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    As a person that likes alcohol and has done some pretty stupid things in the past where alcohol is concerned good for you if that's what you want. Lately i have slacked off quite a bit and my wallet and my body are both thanking me for it!! If a person tells me they don't drink i RESPECT that. It's no one's business why you do what you do so stick to you beliefs or convictions. People will respect that about you in the end. :smile:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am a non drinker, not for the health reasons (although that's an added benefit of not drinking) but because i just dont like the taste of it, and i know people who abuse it and i dont want to be like them.
    Im getting really tired of meeting people, going to events, seeing my family and having this pressure to drink alcohol. I have maybe half a glass of wine one a year on my birthday, just to stop people bugging me about it. I dont like how when i meet people for the first time, they put so much pressure on me, as if i wont be able to have fun if i dont drink, or that im miserable and boring, its very upsetting. (they call me boring to my face, even though im a very happy person with a sense of humour, without the drink doing it for me)
    Is there anybody else who doesn't drink here? what do you say to people when they almost try to force it down your neck so you can 'have fun'?
    When i say 'oh sorry, i dont drink' they have a face of dissapointment, buy me a alcoholic drink anyway, and i get really annoyed at that.

Hey girl, I don't drink, I've never tasted alcohol unless Listerine counts :tongue: and never will. It's not the tastes, it's for obedience to my faith in God, his love completes me more than a temporary buzz, or state of drunkenness. I simply tell people "no" I don't drink, and I'll be 21 on my birthday and I still won't drink then even though most people around me will expect me to. I mean you simply just need to stick to how you feel about the whole situation. you don't have to explain yourself unless they want the explanation. I've specifically broken friendship ties with people who seem to believe they have the power to "call" me out for not drinking. so yeah :)
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking on my mothers birthday in January this year. I drank WAYYY too much and ended up losing my freakin mind . Thought I was a pro lol. It was mortifying enough to seriously make me never want to touch alcohol again. It is very hard to be a non drinker , especially since my entire family drinks EVERY time they have a day off of work and even some days when they DO have to work. Of course I don't get out much anymore since my family is pretty much all I got but I feel no remorse or desire to drink again.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't drink. Yes I had a "shot" of cheap wine at 14, yes I had a shot of $70 sake at 18 (with my mother's permission), and when I turned 21 I tried a few drinks. I have had, in total, 12 alcoholic drinks in my life. I got buzzed once because the drink was made too strong.

The reason I don't drink is I don't like the taste. Well, let me rephrase, I can't taste anything from the alcohol or what's mixed with it. The second it's in my mouth and down my throat it's like I drank fire and then threw alcohol on the burns to sting it more. Even when it's so diluted others can't taste it, I can. In liquor candies I taste it. In stuff flavored with it, unless it's been cooked out, I taste it. I guess it's a sensitivity.

I've never had anyone try to push drinks on me, but that's because my pseudo-alcoholic friend was kicked to the curb 6 months before I turned 21 and I don't go to places that make alcohol the main attraction like clubs. I'm not against trying a drink if I've never had it (which leaves a lot of room) but I don't think alcohol is the key to a good time. As well, I have an "emotional disorder" (read: I've got more bats in my belfry than the Catholic churches in Rome) that is notable for having sufferers of it being alcoholics, drug addicts, and chain smokers.

I'm not against drinking, I just don't participate.
  • Vgbarash
    Vgbarash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Neither I nor my brother have ever drank. Both are 23. We have gotten quite the reactions, especially since we are Russian...Most people give up bothering you after you refuse enough times.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Lolololo circleherk can also be a VERY derogatory term in the same use.. So I would caution the use of it... JS.

:laugh: I'm almost in tears from that exchange.
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking either--have alcoholics on both sides of my family and also don't care for the taste. I think people can just be pretty rude--what does it matter if you don't have a drink? What I have come to realize is that people do it out of insecurity. By you not drinking, they take it as a judgement against them, which of course it is not. It is hard for me because I am in business situations where people love to drink--a lot. I usually just take glass of wine to fit in and don't drink any of it or just have a sip. It's unfortunate, but people will stigmatize if you don't join them.