I dont drink Alcohol

Options

Replies

• mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do not need a drink to have fun! But, I know so many people who feel they can not have fun without one! I do drink occasionally but I think if people can not accept that you do not drink then you do not need to be around them!
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No matter what it is, if I don't want it when it's offered, I say, "No, thanks, I'm good." That's really it. And if they insist, I repeat myself. I'm boring like that. Anyone who really likes me is going to stop insisting. If they don't stop pestering me, I assume there's some underlying character flaw in them which makes them less than optimal as a friend. Pretty simple, really.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water or anything else with my meals and I don't drink alcohol either. Instead I sometimes find it easier to graciously say "thank you just a little please" when presented with a drink and hold the glass for a moment before placing it down somewhere. At restaurants I say yes to water and then do not drink it cause I like to wait and drink several minutes after I'm done eating. It's easier to accept the offer then to be asked repeatedly in my opinion.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I love alcohol. I miss it. Especially my homegrown strawberry daquiris! But...for some reason my body can no longer metabolize it and I get very ill. Apparently I'm lacking an enzyme in my stomach that helps metabolize alcohol. My face turns red, I get weak and after one drink, I slide out of my chair. After 2 drinks, I'm on the floor and can barely breathe. I can't even raise an arm. The alcohol builds up so quickly, I get poisoned instead of getting a 'light buzz'. lol Yep, my husband calls me a cheap date. LOL
    A lot of people think that it's against my religion (far from it since I'm Catholic!) and that I'm a prude. haha
    Just last weekend we met some new friends while camping and we all got together. I had my diet rootbeer and my husband, who was taking pain meds at the time, decided to bring a root beer along also. We got some funny looks and after we were there for a while, one of the girls that was drinking quite a bit actually got up the nerve to say, wow we were really kind of worried when we saw that you weren't drinking! I guess they thought we wouldn't fit in because we didnt drink. Or maybe they were worried that they'd get a little loud and wanted us to be loud with them? I'm not sure but it was funny! We all had a lot of fun anyway. :)
    After not being able to drink for so long I don't care what people think anymore. Although I did explain our situation that night and I told them that my husband drinks, he just couldn't that night.
    As for people who say they need alcohol to unwind,, I walk 4 miles, that usually unwinds me fairly well now.
    Also, if any of you are passing on booze to save cals and be healthy, it's not different than passing up cake, cookies, etc. in a crowd. It's your business, your body and your health. Who cares what they think. After 2 minutes they will be talking about something else anyway. :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even tell you the last time I had any sort of alcohol.

Cannot stand the taste of wine, especially red wine.
    Beer tastes ok but I'd rather have something else.

Isn't the real reason people drink for the effects of alcohol? that's the part I can't stand. I just hate that buzzed feeling.
    Not necessarily. I drink beer because I like the taste.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am a non drinker, not for the health reasons (although that's an added benefit of not drinking) but because i just dont like the taste of it, and i know people who abuse it and i dont want to be like them.

Im getting really tired of meeting people, going to events, seeing my family and having this pressure to drink alcohol. I have maybe half a glass of wine one a year on my birthday, just to stop people bugging me about it. I dont like how when i meet people for the first time, they put so much pressure on me, as if i wont be able to have fun if i dont drink, or that im miserable and boring, its very upsetting. (they call me boring to my face, even though im a very happy person with a sense of humour, without the drink doing it for me)

Is there anybody else who doesn't drink here? what do you say to people when they almost try to force it down your neck so you can 'have fun'?

When i say 'oh sorry, i dont drink' they have a face of dissapointment, buy me a alcoholic drink anyway, and i get really annoyed at that.

Whoa you could've just wrote that about me!! Thankfully as I get older (i'm 32 now) people seem to becoming more accepting of it and I don't really have to say anything anymore.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I dont drink. I work in a bar where employees get free shots plus shift drinks so my coworkers think I am cra
    zy not tsking them. I just tell them I used to get carried away with it in my early teens.and as a parent dont want to go down that road again. Usually shuts them up. About 80% of the employees have a
    bad drinking.problem though...
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I do. I drink like a fish. I will just have your drinks for you then! I have a friend that doesn't drink too, she is our DD. It is great.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Isn't the real reason people drink for the effects of alcohol? that's the part I can't stand. I just hate that buzzed feeling.

Ditto, I enjoy the taste of beer and wine.

I mean, I'd be lying if I said I never drank to get a buzz, but I also enjoy the feeling so, ya know, to each their own.

I drink, but I have friends who don't, I don't see any point in pressuring somebody to do something they don't want to do. To me, trying to force a drink down a non-drinking friend's throat would be like trying to force a cheeseburger down a vegan's throat. They don't want it, they're not gonna be happy about it, so why force the issue? Plus, heyyyy, I get a DD when I party with my non-drinkin' friends!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I dont drink. I work in a bar where employees get free shots plus shift drinks so my coworkers think I am cra
    zy not tsking them. I just tell them I used to get carried away with it in my early teens.and as a parent dont want to go down that road again. Usually shuts them up. About 80% of the employees have a
    bad drinking.problem though...

I know the feeling. I usually give my shift beers away to other co workers so now I have people racing up to me at the endof a shift trying to call dibs on them.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I drink socially bit not much. I commend you for sticking to what you like.

Any time you decided to be different many people will be against you. Its not easy going against the grain.
    I dont get wasted, I hate that feeling, I am not saying I have never done it, but even when I was in college, I only had a couple of drinks. I like knowing where I am and remembering where I was and what I did the night before.

I was so high on life when I was younger, especially when I first joined the military, and people drink alot when they go out in the military, not everyone. Anyways people always thought I was drunk because I was having so much fun. When I said " I am sober" They could not believe that someone could be so happy without alcohol.

I also believe when people look to get drunk and wasted all the time, its because its hard for them to loosen up, forget about all the stress. some People are very scared to be themselves. You are very blessed to see in yourself the strength to be yourself, and even stronger when you do not give in to peer pressure.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Ditto, I enjoy the taste of beer and wine.

I mean, I'd be lying if I said I never drank to get a buzz, but I also enjoy the feeling so, ya know, to each their own.

I drink, but I have friends who don't, I don't see any point in pressuring somebody to do something they don't want to do. To me, trying to force a drink down a non-drinking friend's throat would be like trying to force a cheeseburger down a vegan's throat. They don't want it, they're not gonna be happy about it, so why force the issue? Plus, heyyyy, I get a DD when I party with my non-drinkin' friends!

Do you drink non alcoholic beer?
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

Same here. Ice cold beer...mmmm. Or margaritas. Yumm!

I think everyone has the right to decide what they want to do in thier lives. It doesn't mean someone is right or wrong in those decisions; it means we are all different and should be able to respect that about each other.

You could apply this not with just a drinker vs. a non drinker, but a smoker vs. a non smoker, or I drink soda and so and so doesn't~>etc. etc. etc. If we ALL did the same exact things in life....oh what a boring world it would be. It's just sad people have to judge so much for others who are 'different' or even worse, try to push their 'beliefs and decisions' down other people's throats.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time accepting that:
    1) that some people really don't want to drink alcohol
    2) that people can have just as much fun without drinking alcohol

It's my problem, not yours. I get that. But, still, while I'm not a pusher, I really dislike when someone is not participating. It just makes it suck. So, that might be why people do that.

Additionally, most non-drinkers that I know would just prefer to not be around it. But, sometimes they have to be, like certain events and such, so they tolerate it.

Unless there is a specific health reason, or alcoholism or something, I don't understand why you wouldn't just have a few and enjoy life. But, whateves.

REALLY? :noway: Was this actually a serious response, or just intended to foment further conversation?

If serious, very poor argument. Zero logic. But, hey . . ."whateves."
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had 1 drink since 2nd of January 2012.

Being off it so long has caused most of my weight loss. I also feel sharper at work. I have also saved loads of money but I am not going out as often.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anymore. Think the last drink I had was probably around a year ago. Nothing against drinking, I've done more than my share of it in the past. It's just a choice I made when my oldest daughter started to realize that what I was drinking was alcohol. I let her know that there is nothing wrong with people of age drinking in moderation, but it just seemed to me that, as a dad, I needed to stop. Don't know that it makes any sense, but it was my thinking at the time.

I've not found it a problem in social situations. If someone offers me a drink, I politely decline. I don't feel a need to explain, I just say, "No, thanks," and keep drinking my water, diet soda, etc. No one in my circle would ever try to force a drink on somebody - we're all mature adults. I've never understood supposedly grown up people who insist on trying to force things on people who don't want them, be it alcohol, food, or anything else…those are not people I tolerate hanging around me.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I dont drink not out of choice but because I'm an alcoholic and so was my father, grandfather and further down my generation.

I say to people who think I'm boring ok I'll drink and then I'm not capable of controlling myself or my actions or what I'll do within a 100 yard vicinity around me

BUT it will definitely involve
    the law
    an ambulance
    and a cell

OH and I probably wont stop drinking once started for about three weeks (going on last time) and I'll lose my mind sanity and probably take an overdose.

Fact is I dont like it, it doesn't like me, my kids aren't scared of me anymore. I do quite like myself now and ALL I dont to to achieve and avoid all of the above is not drink alcohol.

What could be simpler.

Plus I try and help my fellow alcoholics still out there drinking to get better if I can.

And finally I quite like myself again

Small price to pay for a life beyond measure.

PS I dont wake up anymore in my own piss, **** and vomit.

Forget everybody else live your life on your terms and enjoy it, thats what we are all here for.

Love and Peace
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good for u!!!! I drink but hardly at all - perhaps one or two over a weekend but not every weekend. I am quite fussy about what alcohol I will drink too & most of it I don't like the taste. When I am training for an event I don't drink at all.

I drank more when I was younger but not to excess as it never really interested me much. I feel better health wise as I am & it totally works for me. Friends & family don't pressure me or tell me I am boring but some other people I know or come across do which is annoying!!!

I don't feel the need to drink, smoke or take anything else to have a good time!! It certainly doesn't make me boring or render me unable to have a good time.

Don't let anyone tell u your boring or anything - stick to what makes u happy & sod everyone else - u are an individual not a lemming!!!!

Best of luck with ur journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    When i say 'oh sorry, i dont drink' they have a face of dissapointment, buy me a alcoholic drink anyway, and i get really annoyed at that.
    I drink a LOT, but I'd never try and persuade anyone to drink against their wishes. Only really immature people do that, the sort of people who find the concept of someone else being even slightly different to them far too scary to handle.

Never, EVER say "SORRY I don't drink" - it's not something you need to apologise for, or explain in any way at all. Just say "I don't drink" and do not offer any other explanation.

If someone buys you alcohol after you've stated clearly that you don't drink it, either place it on a nearby table and ignore it, throw it in their face, or make a point of pouring it onto the floor at their feet, depending on how much power they hold over you and the decor of the establishment.
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    I very rarely drink - a champagne toast at a wedding reception is about the extent of my drinking since I was pregant with my son 9 years ago.

I always offer to be the taxi at work do's in exchange for a non-alcholic drink, this saves everyone money and stops them nagging at me to drink because I have to stay sober to taxi them home!