Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time accepting that:
    1) that some people really don't want to drink alcohol
    2) that people can have just as much fun without drinking alcohol

It's my problem, not yours. I get that. But, still, while I'm not a pusher, I really dislike when someone is not participating. It just makes it suck. So, that might be why people do that.

Additionally, most non-drinkers that I know would just prefer to not be around it. But, sometimes they have to be, like certain events and such, so they tolerate it.

Unless there is a specific health reason, or alcoholism or something, I don't understand why you wouldn't just have a few and enjoy life. But, whateves.

REALLY? :noway: Was this actually a serious response, or just intended to foment further conversation?

If serious, very poor argument. Zero logic. But, hey . . ."whateves."

Nope, it was real. I truly don't get it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drink. I drank a bit when I was younger, because I liked the buzz. And it was social.
    I drink wine now, because I like the taste. Because I like the relaxation. It's a nice feeling. I know what it is. I know what it means.

That said: seriously? You don't get why someone DOESN'T drink? Really? REALLY? That's hard to accept?
    Sorry if that sounds mean, but why would you dislike someone "not participating?" Does it really make it hard for you to enjoy those beers? Does someone else's lack of drinking really affect your drinking?

I dislike cake. Does that affect how you enjoy birthday parties?

It's my problem, not yours. I get that. But, still, while I'm not a pusher, I really dislike when someone is not participating. It just makes it suck. So, that might be why people do that.

Additionally, most non-drinkers that I know would just prefer to not be around it. But, sometimes they have to be, like certain events and such, so they tolerate it.

Unless there is a specific health reason, or alcoholism or something, I don't understand why you wouldn't just have a few and enjoy life. But, whateves.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I drink. I drank a bit when I was younger, because I liked the buzz. And it was social.
    I drink wine now, because I like the taste. Because I like the relaxation. It's a nice feeling. I know what it is. I know what it means.

That said: seriously? You don't get why someone DOESN'T drink? Really? REALLY? That's hard to accept?
    Sorry if that sounds mean, but why would you dislike someone "not participating?" Does it really make it hard for you to enjoy those beers? Does someone else's lack of drinking really affect your drinking?

Don't know. It just bothers me. Why wouldn't someone want to relax, get a nice mellow buzz going and have some laughs with friends? It bothers me that someone is so uptight they can't just relax and imbibe a bit. That's all. It's simple. Life is short. Enjoy it. Everything in moderation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Don't know. It just bothers me. Why wouldn't someone want to relax, get a nice mellow buzz going and have some laughs with friends? It bothers me that someone is so uptight they can't just relax and imbibe a bit. That's all. It's simple. Life is short. Enjoy it. Everything in moderation.
    Why must they relax how YOU relax?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol entirely earlier this year. I did it because I wanted to support someone close to me who really needed to stop, and it's made it easier for him that I've given up with him.

It has certainly made it easier for me to stick to calories, and it's definitely improved my fitness. Used to be that if I'd had a drink Saturday night, I'd feel sluggish and a bit ick working out on Sunday. Well, not any more.

I miss it sometimes - particularly at social events - but by and large, I'm not really bothered.

I do think people need to grow up about putting social pressure on non-drinkers. I've had a lot of people either assume I've given up because I'm an alcoholic (in which case I get the social embarrassment kind of response) or try to push alcohol on me. I've had a lot of people suggest that every time I get stressed or fraught, it's because I'm not drinking anymore, and I need it to chill me out. (Trust me, I was a stress bunny when I was a drinker too!). It puzzles me a bit why people feel the need to foist their own drinking behaviours onto others. I'm just as much fun sober as I was with alcohol in me. The only difference really is that I'm slightly less impulsive on a night out than I used to be. Not a bad thing. Plus other people can use me as their designated driver.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The easiest strategy is to find a socially-acceptable reason - Designated Driver/on antibiotics/ a 'big presentation' first thing/no liver... OR ask the bar-tender for soft drinks in glasses identical to those used to serve mixed drinks. It's hard to tell from the outside if the high-ball glass has soda water and a slice of lime or gin and tonic in it... It's not ideal that you have to defend your choices aggressively, but sometimes it's just easier not to have the hassle. If someone offers to buy you the next drink, say that you're spreading out your drinks a bit this evening, and ask for a soft drink - preferably not tap water as some people (bizarrely!) have issues asking for this in bars. If they really push, and you're uncomfortable saying no, ask for a glass of wine - it's amazing how long you can 'sip' a single glass. Whether or not you actually drink it, or discreetly (gradually!) lower the level in other ways is up to you.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't drink - haven't had a drop since Jan 3rd 2000. I know Bill and Dr Bob and it just does't bother me now. It was hard to start with but now I don't even notice if people react to my drinking diet coke and the thought of drinking doesn't cross my mind.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink alcohol too. Every so often I'll have a few and let loose so to speak. I understand your frustration at other peoples comments. I chose not to drink alcohol regularly because I'm always afraid I'll end up like my natural mum who was an alcoholic. deep down I know I won't because I won't let it - but still that small fear is still there. I've also witnessed first hand the damage alcohol can do to the people closest to me and the affect it can have. Another reason why I don't drink often.

Don't let other people bring you down - its your choice. You can still have fun.
  • BrackenPluckrose
    Options
    I am 19 and a student and I don't drink so I really get this! I go out just as much as my friends but they used to be reluctant to invite me assuming that I don't drink so will be boring and not like a night out! It is ridiculous!! But I tell people that I don't need to drink to have a good time and that it frees up a lot of money and living on a student budget, any spare cash is great. Most people understand now, but there are the odd few that still insist on buying me drinks that my best friend benefits from haha.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Well, in answer to the original question, I'm quite hardcore about it. I won't even discuss it. At the very most I just say, "Thank you for your valuable input. I'll have my water now" and just get on with it. Usually I just raise an eyebrow and make an awkward silence.

Let's face it, we're not here for other people's convenience.

My motto in life is never judge, apologise, defend or explain. If you're doing what you truly want to do then it's never necessary.

PS If somebody buys me unwanted alcohol then I very publicly pour or give it away.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am a non drinker, not for the health reasons (although that's an added benefit of not drinking) but because i just dont like the taste of it, and i know people who abuse it and i dont want to be like them.

Im getting really tired of meeting people, going to events, seeing my family and having this pressure to drink alcohol. I have maybe half a glass of wine one a year on my birthday, just to stop people bugging me about it. I dont like how when i meet people for the first time, they put so much pressure on me, as if i wont be able to have fun if i dont drink, or that im miserable and boring, its very upsetting. (they call me boring to my face, even though im a very happy person with a sense of humour, without the drink doing it for me)

Is there anybody else who doesn't drink here? what do you say to people when they almost try to force it down your neck so you can 'have fun'?

When i say 'oh sorry, i dont drink' they have a face of dissapointment, buy me a alcoholic drink anyway, and i get really annoyed at that.
    I wish I'd seen this earlier. I've been in the same boat. I do drink occasionally, but more often than not I won't be drinking when I go out with my friends. For the first several months it really bothered me how some people reacted to it. I even had a boyfriend (didn't last long) who wouldn't take me to hang out with him and his friends because I'd be the only one not drinking and that meant what? I'm not fun? Usually when I'm out at the bar and everyone around me is drinking, I'm enjoying myself so they all assume I'm drunk, too. It's only a big deal to people who are self conscious about someone being able to pay attention to everything going on. Also, I think those self conscious people don't like to be the only ones acting stupid. Not drinking weeded out a lot of people I found weren't really my friends. My good friends enjoyed me either way and took advantage of the fact that I was able to help watch out for them.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do drink but not too often. usually when I go out for a meal and have a mexican I do enjoy a few cocktails =D

But I think that's great, I don't know many people in 'real life' that do not drink ,so good for you hun =]

I drink as I enjoy the taste, but I don't enjoy the effects part, so I'm always careful when I drink to stay within my limits.

That's incredibly rude, I can't belive people buy you a drink, I bet then that they blame you for wasting their money. Tbh it's their own fault, you've said that you don't drink and it's like they don't listen. I think the only thing you can do is ignore it, I can understand that it may possibly be hard and the pressure overwhelming. But like so many others have said, as long as you keep strong, people will start to ignore the fact that your not drinking.

I belive people that don't drink can have just as much fun, if not more fun than people that do drink. I have a christian friend and she honestly is a saint, she has never drank and she has such fun whenever we go out, I feel very proud of her and you should too.
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, not for any other reason i just don't care for it.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of alcohol. I'm a binge drinker. I love the feeling and the taste of vodka. Since I started up on MFP again, I have cut out alcohol completely. Vodka decreases your metabolism rapidly, so it's not worth it to me to drink it. I only drink water and iced tea on occasion now. My friends think I'm weird but that's ok. lol
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I used to be a drinker before I got pregnant. Can't say I know how you feel however I love that you don't fall into the pressures of drinking. It really sucks that people can be jerks. Good for you for standing your ground. I just wanted you to know that :)

I think people think I"m boring now because I don't drink, but I don't care! I'm like you...I could have fun without it and still have my sense of humor!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just tell them I don't drink for religious reason's. That usually does it. :smile:
  • lauren128m
    lauren128m Posts: 75
    Options
    They sell wines and such without alcohol in it if that interests you! They sell them at your local grocery store.
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    My friend NEVER drinks. He's been sober 4 years and goes out with us all the time. He's a blast! Whenever we go out he drinks Red Bull. The looks he gets from bartenders are priceless. They always double take and say, "Wait, no vodka? Just the Red Bull!??" He always smiles big and nods. He's proud not to drink and we're all SUPER proud of him for sticking to it. Hold your head high and don't surround yourself with alcohol pushers. It's hard to do, but if your friends aren't supportive of you the question begs an answer, are they truly worth having as friends?
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    Also, I'm a total beer snob. I love the texture, flavor, everything about it. I do sometimes drink to chill out, but mostly I'm drinking because I love the taste and allow myself the indulgence of something I enjoy.

I would take a tall cold micro-brew over sweet any day.
  • hina_syed_3
    hina_syed_3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't drink either, and it's only a few of my friends that will ask me why not? It's the same reply I'll give them every time we meet up which is every six months or so.
    If you're so use to not drinking, and liking the taste of alcohol, why would you just drink for the sake of drinking? I know it's a choice and people do that but also just like someone chooses to drink because they feel like it, or they like it is the same for those that choose not to drink because of the same.

I like to be able to meet up with friends, have conversations with them without feeling the need to be intoxicated to have a good time. There are ways to have a good time without doing that, and it's different for everyone. I know it's worked for me all these years, so why would I just go into it if others can't understand. I still decline and people should understand and should not pressure you even if it's not what they'd do, it's what you do so that's your life. :)
    hope you have a great week!