Women exercising outdoors

Options
Lolli1986
Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
Just another friendly reminder to be careful while exercising outdoors.

Two days ago I was sexually assaulted while on my normal, very popular walking route. There just happened to be no one but myself and what looked like a 14-16yo boy for about a 200m stretch of path. Turns out even kids may assault women these days. I am generally very careful, but would never have dreamed that this kid was about to sneak up behind me and very forcefully shove his hand between my legs in broad daylight. This was not a bum-pinch (which would not have been okay either).

A few tips:

1. I always thought talking on the phone would be a deterrent, but no, because you are distracted and less aware of your surroundings, you are at higher risk. (I was on the phone, thinking I was safe in the middle of the day)
2. Turn your music off when it's only you and one male/group of males on the path.
3. Do not be afraid to look at people - there is no need to be paranoid, but looking people in the face will help you to give a description if you need to. It also lets them know that you have enough info to give a description (I failed to look at this kid)
4. If you think you are about to be assaulted/during the assault/following the assault MAKE NOISE. Any sort of noise is good, but I went for strong angry noise. I yelled at him as loudly as I could until he was out of sight. (he was running)

I personally also puff right up in fight-stance to let them know I plan to fight.

If it's a car:

...I used to have to work in the bushland behind the university at dawn and dusk... yeah, i know, it's like a recipe for rape...and a couple of times cars drove past me very slowly while i was walking, sometimes back and forth multiple times, then pulled up in a position that i definitely had to walk past.

In these situations I don't care if it's a sweet old lady who can't find her building, I treat it like a potential threat!

1. Get the number plate. punch it into your phone if you have to.
2. (not a necessary step, but it has helped me) Let them know you have the number plate............ I have done a variation of this three times - I stopped walking and either stared at them until they left, or pointed at my eyes, then pointed at their number plate.... the car went screeching away when i did this! This confirmed that they were watching me... and if it was some sweet old lady who I scared, who cares?
3. Do not go near the car. You might be tempted into talking yourself into believing in that sweet old lady - i know I did - but don't.

Feel free to share your experiences or tips.

Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Crazy! Hope your okay! Did you happen to report it, prob not a lot they can do but good to have it on record anyways!
  • chiley1
    chiley1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am very sorry this happen to you, it is so sad that you cannot go out and enjoy a walk alone without peoples bothering you. Be careful.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I'm sorry to hear this! I was also accosted on parkland before, so I know how scary it can be.

The guy did run away when I grabbed my phone and asked for the police! So keep your phone handy!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I haven't reported it yet, but plan to tomorrow. I can't identify the kid, but if he has done it before or does it again in the area, it may help.

Initially I didn't want to get some poor kid in trouble for doing something really silly, that maybe he will never do again, but then i realised that if he is doing things like this then chances are high that he has been abused or has witnessed abuse, so yes, reporting it.

I am still feeling yuck about it, so wanted to try to create some sort of positive from it.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I hope you're okay!

I'm so afraid to run/walk alone, even when I'm with my dog. You never know what people will do. If I do walk alone, I am sure to stay away from the bike trail, I stay on the roads, and main streets in my town so that if something did happen I could scream and I could be heard.

This is a great thread, everyone needs to be careful.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I think every woman should take a basic self defense class. Many of our local Karate studios offer them, often for free. The basic premise is that your learn what to do to get AWAY! Not to fight! Always have an escape route in mind wherever you are. OP sounds like a smart lady - and that means we are all targets, no matter how prepared we are. We can only do our best to create a positive outcome from any encounter, but we can't let that fear keep us from living!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry this happened to you and I'm really glad that you weren't hurt further.

BUT!!!!!

Call the police IMMEDIATELY!

It is irresponsible to wait until tomorrow.

ETA: And I'm actually mad that you chose to post on a forum board to "warn" women before calling the police. If you are concerned about women's safety. Call the police!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I hope you're ok - at least you're talking about it, sharing the experience and making something good come out of it. A lot of sexual abuse goes unreported because people are embarrassed, or they think it's their fault - so make sure you report it. Shame you didn't get a good look at the kid, but why would you have, you don't expect to be accosted like that by a child :S

Thanks for the pointers and reminders, I think it's important that we're vigilant these days :)
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this and hope you can move past it quickly.

You mentioned 'puffing up ready to fight'... I've been told before that this is a good technique. Apparently, these freaks are less likely to take on someone who looks like they will fight... It's much easier for them to prey on someone who looks weaker and will be less hassle. And so, when I walk, I try to stay tall, shoulders back and with a powerful, purposeful stride - sort of with a 'don't mess with me' air about myself! ...and also avoid dangerous situations and be aware of your surroundings - obviously!
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As long as you are okay that is the first priority. Then please make sure you report this. Nobody deserves this and like was previously said who knows if this is a pattern or will he do it again or worse take it further.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    This is a scary experience - and well done to you for taking a proactive stance in reaction to it.

It can be tempting, when we do something often enough, to think we're safe when out and about. And of course, most of the time we are. But it's sensible to be vigilant, and to be prepared.

As I said to you previously, I hope this boy's stupidity and aggression doesn't put you off exercising outdoors.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I was followed on two seperate occassions years ago so I do not walk or go exercising on my own. I live on a quiet country road so if I want to walk I drive into town and walk the streets in my small town where there is always people about.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that this happened to you. And I agree: the best defense against an attack is prevention. Unfortunately personal safety is just a part of running that one cannot simply ignore.

Here's a good article: http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/safety/rtpselfd.asp
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    That's awful! :( He definitely should get reprimanded if he is found! 14-16 or not, he doesn't need to learn it's okay to do this and that he can do it on anyone he wants. Hope he gets caught. Sorry for your experience! :(
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    So sorry this happened to you. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips. To all of the women who say they run in town or near people and think that makes them safe, be warned-it's not that big a deterrent. In 1993 I was attack in broad daylight in the middle of downtown, surrounded by plenty of people. Not one lifted a finger. It's certainly better to be near people so you can make noise and have the perpetrator think others will come, but you can't depend on them coming. Take a good self-defense class and learn what you need to know to get away. That's essential.
  • Changing__Christina
    Options
    There was an older woman (late 40s) who was raped on a well known exercise trail that is only about 5 miles from my house. She was alone at dusk and wasn't aware of her surroundings. He was caught and arrested. I didn't go to any parks or trails for almost a 6 months after that. Then I just decided that I would take self defense classes and carry a small knife with me if I am alone. If there is nobody at all out, I will just leave, no point of chancing it. It isn't a good idea to put yourself in a dangerous situation....most people don't think a park or exercise path/trail is dangerous. Hopefully women will see this as a learning experience!!!
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    Options
    There was an older woman (late 40s) who was raped on a well known exercise trail that is only about 5 miles from my house. She was alone at dusk and wasn't aware of her surroundings. He was caught and arrested. I didn't go to any parks or trails for almost a 6 months after that. Then I just decided that I would take self defense classes and carry a small knife with me if I am alone. If there is nobody at all out, I will just leave, no point of chancing it. It isn't a good idea to put yourself in a dangerous situation....most people don't think a park or exercise path/trail is dangerous. Hopefully women will see this as a learning experience!!!

Not sure where you are from but in the UK carrying a knife for 'protection' is a offence which attracts a jail sentece. Worse than that evidence suggests that women who attempt to use weapons against attackers tend to have it taken off them and used against them.

Whilst we have the right to be safe, carrying weapons is not the answer.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to use that knife? If you don't, you are basically just providing a weapon to your attacker.
  • Alifall414
    Alifall414 Posts: 13
    Options
    Glad you're ok. But REPORT IT NOW! The police can send someone to the area for extra coverage and warn people at least and maybe prevent this from happening to another person. Don't wait until tomorrow!
  • Brassmass
    Brassmass Posts: 2
    Options
    That is awful - I sometimes I hope I see something like that happen so I can beat the tar out of the guy - But on the other hand I would probably get in more trouble than the sicko. Good idea to put the license plate number in your phone - another Idea is carry a gun.

Bob