Women exercising outdoors

Options

Replies

• Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. You should have reported it right away though. I don't run on bike trails I just run in my neighborhood. A very safe country neighborhood, but I carry mace with me anyways, Very Visibly Seen on my fuel belt strap. I've even had a guy in my neighborhood say to me, "oh I see you carry mace". Yes, yes I do. You never know what kind of creepers will be out.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I agree you should report it right away instead of waiting. This kid may be hanging around that area doing the same thing repeatedly. It's not really the kind of thing someone does just once. But if no one reports it, the police and the public will have no idea.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options

Not sure where you are from but in the UK carrying a knife for 'protection' is a offence which attracts a jail sentece. Worse than that evidence suggests that women who attempt to use weapons against attackers tend to have it taken off them and used against them.

Whilst we have the right to be safe, carrying weapons is not the answer.

The key to not getting a weapon taken away is know how to use it and not being afraid to use it. If you carry a weapon, be sure you are properly trained to use it. My state allows concealed carry handgun permits, so I have one, and am usually armed. My wife is also well trained with her pistol.

JM
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    My technique is pepper spray, usually I have my two kids so I think that might lure them away. Constant cell phone as well I don't trust anyone and rarely go walking along for long periods of time
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    after he did it you should have chased him down and whooped his *kitten*.

But yes ladies be very careful out there, carrying mace is not a bad option, but try to find a workout buddy, make or female, or your dog.

Try not to go at it alone or find a area where it is populated.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry this happened to you and I'm really glad that you weren't hurt further.

BUT!!!!!

Call the police IMMEDIATELY!

It is irresponsible to wait until tomorrow.

ETA: And I'm actually mad that you chose to post on a forum board to "warn" women before calling the police. If you are concerned about women's safety. Call the police!

I think the point of the post is to remind everyone to be vigilant when they are out exercising as it's something a lot of us don't think about. Sure when we go out at night we are careful but we don't see ourselves as vulnerable in all situations, exercising in daylight would be not a time I would think about. The police will just take a statement, see if anything else similar has been reported (not many women get the courage to report things that are considered embarrassing) if not they will just wait to see if something similar happens. The op mentions that she was too shocked to notice what the kid looked like.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Not sure where you are from but in the UK carrying a knife for 'protection' is a offence which attracts a jail sentece. Worse than that evidence suggests that women who attempt to use weapons against attackers tend to have it taken off them and used against them.

The key to not getting a weapon taken away is know how to use it and not being afraid to use it. If you carry a weapon, be sure you are properly trained to use it. My state allows concealed carry handgun permits, so I have one, and am usually armed. My wife is also well trained with her pistol.

JM

Yeah still in the UK carrying a weapon is illegal. Guns are completely illegal, although of course criminals can get there hands on them. Carrying a knife is completely illegal too.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay! Thank you so much for the helpful tips. I hope the little creep gets caught!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's blades over 3 inches that are clearly intended as a weapon that are illegal to carry in the UK, so when I was attending college in a bad area I carried a swiss army knife. College didn't question it as I often needed the tools on it for work (studying electronics). But, be smart. If you don't know how to use something pointy, it's probably best if you don't provide it for someone else. I've practiced with all kinds of weaponry over the years in martial arts and sports clubs, including two sword disciplines.

If you have a dog, try to take them along on your runs if you can't get a buddy to come with you.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry this happened to you and I'm really glad that you weren't hurt further.

BUT!!!!!

ETA: And I'm actually mad that you chose to post on a forum board to "warn" women before calling the police. If you are concerned about women's safety. Call the police!

I think the point of the post is to remind everyone to be vigilant when they are out exercising as it's something a lot of us don't think about. Sure when we go out at night we are careful but we don't see ourselves as vulnerable in all situations, exercising in daylight would be not a time I would think about. The police will just take a statement, see if anything else similar has been reported (not many women get the courage to report things that are considered embarrassing) if not they will just wait to see if something similar happens. The op mentions that she was too shocked to notice what the kid looked like.

Agreed! Definitely serves as a good reminder to be careful! Thanks. Nobody thinks it will happen to them until it does...
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

BUT!!!!!

Thanks. Yes, my point was to illustrate that it happens even in COMPLETELY unexpected situations.

Yes, I should have reported straight away and there are about ten million thoughts and emotions behind why I didn't consider reporting it until now, mostly surrounding the fact that he was a little boy.

But yes, let's officially add it to the list of tips:

* You will feel emotional and confused, embarrassed, and you will feel like you will just be laughed at, especially if it's a little boy, and that no one will do anything and that he got away (ad infinitum), but do your very best to report is as soon after the incident as possible.

This one is a given, people, and I cannot and do not want to explain why I didn't do it. Let's not discuss it any further as, no matter how well-intentioned you are, negative judgement feeds into all the reasons why women don't talk about or report these things. For example, I am now feeling shamed and don't want to have to face police who will potentially shame me further, and I KNOW this is counter-productive to the desired result of all the 'report it now' posts. Tomorrow is the earliest I can do it (well, today now. it is just past midnight).
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    People also need to remember that most rapes and sexual assaults are by someone you know, and often in a relationship with.

We need to be protected inside the home and out, so even though it is of course essential to be well protected when you're out and about, also remember you need to be aware of assaults in your own home.

I was sexually assaulted by a bf, and it took me weeks to actually realise it was a sexual assault - but he did something in bed that I told him not to, of course it was!

So vigilant outside, and aware at home
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Lolli at 14, he's not a little boy. He's a teenage boy, who should have been taught better by now. Chances are nothing bad will happen to him. But if he *has* done this kind of thing before, your report will help both the police and him.

That said, as a rape survivor, I have to say it makes me *very* angry when people suggest it's not 'responsible' to report sexual violence. That's putting way too much pressure on the victim, and I think it's very inappropriate. I'm not quite sure what you think gives you the right, therealangd, to chastise another woman for however *they* choose to handle *their* experience of assault. But believe me, you don't have that right. Take your righteous indignation somewhere else, please, and don't burden a victim further with it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

JM

Yeah still in the UK carrying a weapon is illegal. Guns are completely illegal, although of course criminals can get there hands on them. Carrying a knife is completely illegal too.

But if you accidently spray someone in their face with deodorant that you are carrying in your pocket as its the first thing that comes to hand to protect yourself it will hurt ( and give you time to run)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder to all of us women to be watchful of our environment....And above all to STAY SAFE - However you can!! I think some of us sort of forget the risks & think it won't happen to us or in our neighborhood but it can & it does....So again, Thanks for the reminder not to get too comfortable especially when working out, walking outdoors alone! :flowerforyou:
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful tips. I do occasionally walk outside by myself and I thought about buying some mace just incase. You can never be too careful Sorry this happened to you!
  • 21Pontoon
    21Pontoon Posts: 46
    Options
    Thank you for the post, it's something that I always think about but rarely make any provisions for so it's shot up my priority list. I hope you're okay!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just another suggestion, when I was at college it was a decent size campus and there were night classes. When walking to your car at night when you don't know who's around keep your car key in your and with the key sticking out b/t your fingers. It's not much but may be enough to help you out! I never had an issue but it's always good to be cautious.
  • dutchessrachel
    dutchessrachel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good for you for using this experience to educate! Glad you weren't hurt!

Whenever I walk outside (and most of the time) I walk with pepper spray in my pocket. If I see someone I don't recognize, I put my finger on the trigger! You can pick it up at most sporting good stores. I got mine at Gander Mountain. And it's pink. Don't be afraid to make someone else uncomfortable if YOU feel threatened!!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lolli at 14, he's not a little boy. He's a teenage boy, who should have been taught better by now. Chances are nothing bad will happen to him. But if he *has* done this kind of thing before, your report will help both the police and him.

That said, as a rape survivor, I have to say it makes me *very* angry when people suggest it's not 'responsible' to report sexual violence. That's putting way too much pressure on the victim, and I think it's very inappropriate. I'm not quite sure what you think gives you the right, therealangd, to chastise another woman for however *they* choose to handle *their* experience of assault. But believe me, you don't have that right. Take your righteous indignation somewhere else, please, and don't burden a victim further with it.
    Thank you for posting this comment.

OP I pray you find some comfort and relief after reporting this guy. This is obviously not easy and no one can know exactly how you feel after being violated. I applaud you for not just sharing but encouraging other women on being safe while working out. Women you do not know or may neve meet. This says so much about who you are as a woman and they strength you posesse to heal and move forward. I pray for your emotional and mental healing.