Cabbage Soup Diet (Sacred Heart Diet)

Options
13»

Replies

• heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just a note on cabbage - if you really like it, I have a great recipe for Purple Cabbage and Quinoa Slaw. It's very nutritious, filling, and low calorie. You can send me a message if you'd like the recipe.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just a note on cabbage - if you really like it, I have a great recipe for Purple Cabbage and Quinoa Slaw. It's very nutritious, filling, and low calorie. You can send me a message if you'd like the recipe.

I LOVE cabbage. There really isn't a veggie I don't like, but cabbage is one of my favorites. Hit me with the recipe!
  • shel1103
    Options
    My dad didn't do the diet, but ate the soup and lost over 100lbs (in one year) - he also changed his lifestyle and started running 5 miles a day, 6 days a week. Instead of the diet, he used the soup as a replacement for a snack or one meal a day, it is healthy and filling. When I find myself wanting to snack more or feeling like I am not "full enough", I bring this into my diet and I think it works well. It is all about balance.

I think I may end up just doing it as a filler, and maybe nix the diet part of it. Thank you everyone!
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My dad didn't do the diet, but ate the soup and lost over 100lbs (in one year) - he also changed his lifestyle and started running 5 miles a day, 6 days a week. Instead of the diet, he used the soup as a replacement for a snack or one meal a day, it is healthy and filling. When I find myself wanting to snack more or feeling like I am not "full enough", I bring this into my diet and I think it works well. It is all about balance.

I think I may end up just doing it as a filler, and maybe nix the diet part of it. Thank you everyone!

Sounds like a good plan ;) I've fixed it several times because I actually love it!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Do the math. As an average, and easy example number, a woman burns 2000 calories a day, total. If you ate NOTHING you would have a 14,000 calorie deficit at the end of the week. So, if it takes a 3,500 deficit to lose one pound, you would lose 4 pounds at the end of the week. That would be for total fasting. So, the only conclusion I could come to is that 7-10 pounds the first week is almost all water weight loss. As soon as you eat a few meals, most of that will reappear right away.

Do the math using your own numbers and see what is possible. And remember to account for the cabbage soup calories you eat. You are better off sticking to something that won't trigger a binge at the end when your body is trying to get back to normal after being starved for a week.

Edit: Oh, and btw, I have a recipe I made for chicken cabbage soup that I eat about once a week and still love it after nearly 20 years.
    In a 1 quart covered saucepan put:

3/4 cup water
    1 tsp granulated chicken bouillon (Knorr)
    pepper to taste (and a dash of celery salt if you have it)
    1/4 of a head of cabbage, sliced (or however much you can stuff into the saucepan)
    1 scallion, sliced
    2 oz. cooked chicken breast

Press ingredients into the saucepan in that order. It will be pretty full, but it cooks down. Cover tightly and boil for about 5-10 minutes (depending on how well done you like your cabbage). Open, stir, and eat. I love this stuff.

I never really entered this recipe into the database, but I'm sure it has less than 200 calories. Sometimes if I'm hungry, I add more chicken. If you're at your calorie limit, add more cabbage.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Some of you are replying and acting like all I would eat for a week is cabbage soup. Ick!! I would not make it past day 2. Here is the link for the actual diet. I do not eat enough fruits AT ALL!!! I thought this might help me enjoy them more.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html

Just went there. I didn't see cabbage in the soup recipe. Maybe I'm missing something?
  • shel1103
    Options
    Oh, that was the other recipe I was looking at. It's actually got half a head of cabbage in it. This was somehow the cabbage-less version of the soup,
  • shel1103
    Options
    Do the math. As an average, and easy example number, a woman burns 2000 calories a day, total. If you ate NOTHING you would have a 14,000 calorie deficit at the end of the week. So, if it takes a 3,500 deficit to lose one pound, you would lose 4 pounds at the end of the week. That would be for total fasting. So, the only conclusion I could come to is that 7-10 pounds the first week is almost all water weight loss. As soon as you eat a few meals, most of that will reappear right away.

Do the math using your own numbers and see what is possible. And remember to account for the cabbage soup calories you eat. You are better off sticking to something that won't trigger a binge at the end when your body is trying to get back to normal after being starved for a week.

Edit: Oh, and btw, I have a recipe I made for chicken cabbage soup that I eat about once a week and still love it after nearly 20 years.
    In a 1 quart covered saucepan put:

3/4 cup water
    1 tsp granulated chicken bouillon (Knorr)
    pepper to taste (and a dash of celery salt if you have it)
    1/4 of a head of cabbage, sliced (or however much you can stuff into the saucepan)
    1 scallion, sliced
    2 oz. cooked chicken breast

Press ingredients into the saucepan in that order. It will be pretty full, but it cooks down. Cover tightly and boil for about 5-10 minutes (depending on how well done you like your cabbage). Open, stir, and eat. I love this stuff.

I never really entered this recipe into the database, but I'm sure it has less than 200 calories. Sometimes if I'm hungry, I add more chicken. If you're at your calorie limit, add more cabbage.

This soup sounds awesome!! Thanks!
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    my MIL has done this and dropped weight. she's a heavy woman, so i'm not sure how much/if any, that has anything to do with it. she (i think) did it for breakfast & lunch & a light dinner.. if i recall right
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i did this diet it won't hurt you you need look in to weight watchers they have a cabbage soup that's free plus so is all the fruit and must of the vegs
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Some of you are replying and acting like all I would eat for a week is cabbage soup. Ick!! I would not make it past day 2. Here is the link for the actual diet. I do not eat enough fruits AT ALL!!! I thought this might help me enjoy them more.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html

Let's analyze that link.

"After only 7 days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter by at least 10 pounds and possibly 17 pounds," - Very important that it says you will "feel" lighter, not "be" lighter. 17 pounds of fat comes out to about 59,500 calories. Over 7 days, that would require a daily deficit of 8500 calories to translate to any meaningful weight loss. Unless you're Michael Phelps on an overdose of speed, that's not happening. So from the very first paragraph, we know that this diet is built on misleading or flat out lying to you. Sounds like my kind of diet! Let's continue.

"This soup will not add calories. " - Sweet, we've found a substance that isn't bound by thermodynamics. Those two cans of stewed tomatoes (246 calories), 3 large green onions (120 calories), 2 cans of green beans (140 calories), 2 lbs of carrots (400 calories) cease to contain any energy once you combine them together.

By day three, "you should find that you have lost 5-7 pounds." 7 pounds of fat is 24,500 calories. In 3 days, that's a deficit of 8200 calories a day. Definitely not happening. So if it's not fat, where is the weight coming from? Not from water since that's the basis of the soup. That just leaves a couple options.. either the diet is lying, or it's talking about poop! Yep, this diet is going to clean you out big time. Don't go more than a few feet from a toilet, or things might get a bit embarrassing.

Notice how the "impurities" it's meant to flush out are never mentioned. That's because those impurities are poop and anything else that might be hanging out in the intestine. Take a few laxatives and follow this easy diet, and you'll feel lighter in no time. Then like all fad diets, you eventually have to start eating normally again. At this point, your intestines are going to once again become full of "impurities" and you will gain back every ounce you lost. But like the link says: "This was never meant to be a stand-alone diet. This was the rapid reduction portion of the diet that was meant primarily for overweight patients who were scheduled to undergo surgery. "
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Here's my Quinoa Cabbage Slaw recipe. (so good! Just had it for lunch...)

Quinoa Cabbage Slaw

1 cup of quinoa, cooked according to package (usually 2 to 1 water to quinoa ratio)
    1/2 head of green cabbage (sliced/ chopped)
    1/2 head of purple cabbage (sliced/ chopped)
    1 medium onion (sliced/ chopped)
    1 red pepper sliced/ chopped
    2 TBSP sunflower seeds
    1 julliened zucchini

Throw all of this in a big bowl and mix together.
    In a separate bowl, mix up the dressing:

1/3 c. rice vinegar
    1/3 c. beef broth
    1/4 c. stevia
    2 TBSP canola oil
    1/4 tsp salt

Add the dressing, mix in, and chill for about a couple hours.
    Makes 8 generous servings...
    Should be 172 calories per serving; 6 g fat; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 10 g iron
  • shel1103
    Options
    Here's my Quinoa Cabbage Slaw recipe. (so good! Just had it for lunch...)

Quinoa Cabbage Slaw

1 cup of quinoa, cooked according to package (usually 2 to 1 water to quinoa ratio)
    1/2 head of green cabbage (sliced/ chopped)
    1/2 head of purple cabbage (sliced/ chopped)
    1 medium onion (sliced/ chopped)
    1 red pepper sliced/ chopped
    2 TBSP sunflower seeds
    1 julliened zucchini

Throw all of this in a big bowl and mix together.
    In a separate bowl, mix up the dressing:

1/3 c. rice vinegar
    1/3 c. beef broth
    1/4 c. stevia
    2 TBSP canola oil
    1/4 tsp salt

Add the dressing, mix in, and chill for about a couple hours.
    Makes 8 generous servings...
    Should be 172 calories per serving; 6 g fat; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 10 g iron

Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it.