Soloflex...what kind of results can I expect?

Options
kelleymj
kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
Anyone use or have used a soloflex? My fiance just purchased one...with the leg extensions. Will I get the same results as if I were using weights! I have read so many post about heavy lifting and now I am wondering if I won't get the results I want with the Soloflex!!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    No, you won't. Not even close.

It's better than nothing, though.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Is it progressively loadable (i.e. can you change increase the weight over time)? Will it take you through a full range of motion?

It probably is sub-par to free weights, but if it meets those two criteria, it can be decent for strength training.
  • kelleymj
    Options
    No, you won't. Not even close.

It's better than nothing, though.

Ugh!:angry: I guess it is a start. Thanks for your reply! :smile:
  • kelleymj
    Options
    Is it progressively loadable (i.e. can you change increase the weight over time)? Will it take you through a full range of motion?

It probably is sub-par to free weights, but if it meets those two criteria, it can be decent for strength training.

I don't know much about it. My fiance told me that he had purchased it. I think it work with bands...along the same lines as Bowflex. I am sure it will be better than what I am doing now (as far as lifting weights), which is mainly using 5 lbs. dumbells. I know... pathetic! :tongue: Thanks for your reply!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You're a lot stronger than you think you are. You just need to start doing the right exercises.
    overhead press, bench, deadlift, barbell squats, etc.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Wellbert is right! Proof and inspiration and support is here... come get some!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • kelleymj
    Options
    You're a lot stronger than you think you are. You just need to start doing the right exercises.
    overhead press, bench, deadlift, barbell squats, etc.
    Thanks for the boost....I need to keep telling myself that!! :smile:
  • kelleymj
    Options
    Wellbert is right! Proof and inspiration and support is here... come get some!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    [/quote}
    Thank you!!!! :happy:
  • davidawhite7
    davidawhite7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been training and powerlifting for over 30 years and am amazed with what i can do with this soloflex I bought used a couple of years ago.
    To make the most of it 10 things
    !) Ditch the rubber straps, they are awful and the reason nobody likes SF.
    2) Get the Shock rings instead, 200X better.
    3) And (or) get free weights and the bars to add them on SF
    4) a combo of free weights and shock rings is better than either one alone.
    5) The bench is so high, bench press from ground height instead and superset it with Dead lifts, Save some time.
    6) Best exercises: Deadlift (face in, practice to find best bench placement and form) Bench Press, Front Squats, (works better/deeper than back), overhead Press, Chins. (superset press and chins) Allow body to move into position neutrally to mimic free weights, don't cheat by pushing in with body. ie a military press is UP over your head, not in front of you.
    7) Also good, hack squats, Back squats if your body leverages work for it, dips if your shoulders are good for it
    9) forget leg extensions, leg curls and especially pec dec. Do compound movements
    10) Pick a good free wight compound movement based powerlifting style program and duplicate it on SF. Forget HIT, it's a crock.

I'd also say augment with stabilizer intensive exercises on other days, like kettlebells, grappling if you do MMA, or learn some specific exercises.

Most important is 1), replace the rubber with weight plates or shock rings and you have an awesome piece of equipment.
  • rob1261
    Options
    Hi David,

I am curious about what you said about the shock rings vs the rubber resistance bands. The shock rings are expensive. Can you go into a little more detail on why you feel they are better.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • tuckerburwell
    tuckerburwell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Rob,
    I too was on the fence about purchasing the shock rings, and was hoping for more feedback from people like David to no avail. Last September I bit the bullet and shelled out $400 for the 405 lb shock ring set. I bought my Soloflex in 1985 and always preferred the weight straps to free weights for their ease of use and convenience. After almost 9 months of consistent use I can unequivocally say that the shock rings are exponentially better than the weight straps. For almost 30 years I thought the weight straps were excellent and enjoyed using them. I tried them again last week to compare them to the shock rings and doubt I will ever use them again. In comparison to the shock rings they felt AWFUL!
    To answer your question, the shock rings feel much smoother and have a nearly linear resistance curve throughout the range of motion on any given exercise. I never realized how nonlinear the resistance curve of the weight straps was until I used the shock rings. The Soloflex has always been an excellent home gym, but with the shock rings, as David so eloquently said, it is AWESOME!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    kelleymj wrote: »
    Anyone use or have used a soloflex? My fiance just purchased one...with the leg extensions. Will I get the same results as if I were using weights! I have read so many post about heavy lifting and now I am wondering if I won't get the results I want with the Soloflex!!
    I owned one back in the late 80's. While it's fine for some light working out, it only focuses on progressive resistance through a movement. There's no eccentric contraction which is currently deemed the most likely reason for muscle hypertrophy.
    For the cost, it's WAY over priced versus what you can get with a free weight set and a rack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bentjazz
    bentjazz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to chime in on this subject. I recently bought a set of shock rings from Soloflex (during one of their 20% off sales). I have two sets of weight straps (old and new style) and had been curious about the shock rings, but couldn't find much information about them. Then I came across this thread.

I completely agree with both posts concerning the superiority of the Soloflex shock ring vs. weight strap. There's really no comparison whatsoever. The shock ring provides a continuous load during both the concentric and eccentric phases of lifting. Combined with weight plates, you've got yourself a nautilus quality workout. I don't think the weight straps provide the type continuous resistance you'll find in the shock rings.

Also, from what I understand, the shock rings last much longer than the weight straps, because oxidation isn't an issue. We shall see.

The only thing I really don't understand is why Soloflex stopped selling shock rings in the first place, way-back-when. I'm glad they're back now, as they have been for the past 8 years (according to Soloflex). They are obviously much much better than the weight straps, last longer, etc. and so on. If you're on the fence about buying these for your Soloflex, don't be. They are worth it.

• dktwins
    dktwins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know it's been a number of years since the last post on this subject but I was hoping someone who bought the Soloflex shock rings and have used them for a while still feel like it was a good investment. I am considering buying a set. Thanks for any input.
  • mcke3o
    mcke3o Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I recently picked up a Soloflex for $40. I am also considering buying the shock rings, based in this posts. Interests to hear any new thoughts from experienced users.
  • sweetfights
    sweetfights Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some shock rings from an aviation supply store online for my Soloflex Rockit. Previously I have used the rubber weight straps and free weights on my original Soloflex. The shock rings are fantastic. I always wanted to try them but they were so expensive. I saved about 75% by purchasing them through the aviation store I found. Aircraft Spruce.
  • sweetfights
    sweetfights Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been training and powerlifting for over 30 years and am amazed with what i can do with this soloflex I bought used a couple of years ago.
    To make the most of it 10 things
    !) Ditch the rubber straps, they are awful and the reason nobody likes SF.
    2) Get the Shock rings instead, 200X better.
    3) And (or) get free weights and the bars to add them on SF
    4) a combo of free weights and shock rings is better than either one alone.
    5) The bench is so high, bench press from ground height instead and superset it with Dead lifts, Save some time.
    6) Best exercises: Deadlift (face in, practice to find best bench placement and form) Bench Press, Front Squats, (works better/deeper than back), overhead Press, Chins. (superset press and chins) Allow body to move into position neutrally to mimic free weights, don't cheat by pushing in with body. ie a military press is UP over your head, not in front of you.
    7) Also good, hack squats, Back squats if your body leverages work for it, dips if your shoulders are good for it
    9) forget leg extensions, leg curls and especially pec dec. Do compound movements
    10) Pick a good free wight compound movement based powerlifting style program and duplicate it on SF. Forget HIT, it's a crock.

I'd also say augment with stabilizer intensive exercises on other days, like kettlebells, grappling if you do MMA, or learn some specific exercises.

Most important is 1), replace the rubber with weight plates or shock rings and you have an awesome piece of equipment.

You know your stuff!!!
  • theunartist
    theunartist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to forum and Soloflex. Got a Soloflex along with Leg and Butterfly attachment. Straps as far as I can tell are in good shape, ranging from 2.5lbs to 100lb Soloflex bands.

I'm interested in the Shock Rings mentioned in this thread. Soloflex is completely "out of stock". Have searched for Soloflex Shock Rings and came across aircraftspruce.com but have no idea what to order etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks, Rick
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    They're still in business? I mentioned I owned one back in the 80's but it was never as good as it claimed. I ended up giving it to my roomate when I moved out at the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png