Is my metabolism dead?

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you, and that's good to hear. Don't let the negativity on here get to you, some of these people are just keyboard bullies and won't listen to anything that doesn't fit into their idea of what is right. Keep trucking, keep tracking what you eat, and it will come off.
    I should maybe breakdown what I mean by that ---- and thanks for getting all butt-hurt about it fellas, chill out.

My personal experience, with my clients, is that those who are the most successful find a way to get something more subtantial than coffee in the morning. Oftentimes it's some instant oatmeal, or a scrambled egg.

I try to describe "ramping up" your metabolism like building a fire. If you keep it fueled with clean foods at predictable times, the fire will burn strong and long.

Breakfast is NOT the be all, end all of nutrition. But I do find that my people are more successful with their weight losses when they are able to squeeze in something.

You're right. I used to skip breakfast, coffee was my breakfast until recently. I find if I eat something in the morning I'm not as hungry until my next meal and I can eat a small lunch afterwards.

And some of us use proven science to back our claims. I am not saying breakfast isn't a good idea, and in fact I love it and eat it often, but it's not required to lose weight. Now the purpose of breakfast is to help a person make smarter decision. Is it required? No, unless you have a tendency to splurge. Whether it's one meal or 10 meals your body metabolized the calories the same and burns just as many calories. Breakfast doesn't ramp up your metabolism or anything like that (or I have yet to see a study that suggest that) but rather a way to prevent those from slurging.

And many of us are more than keyboard bullies, but rather has spent a lot of time helping people and fighting against the spread of misinformation. In fact, I have designed well over 200+ programs for people on this board and have helped people break plateaus, cut fat, build muscle, or lose weight. Below is a sample of my frequent comments. This isn't a challenge for you to come back and say, well I have done this but rather get an understanding of the type of people replying to this thread. Helloitsdan has just as much success.

Now the purpose of breakfast is to help a person make smarter decision. Is it required? No, unless you have a tendency to splurge.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and that's good to hear. Don't let the negativity on here get to you, some of these people are just keyboard bullies and won't listen to anything that doesn't fit into their idea of what is right. Keep trucking, keep tracking what you eat, and it will come off.
    Keep posting I think you have great advice.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    All I meant to say is that I have found my people are more sucessful when they eat breakfast.

I'm saddened to see how many people take offense to such a simple comment. Is there any science proving CAUSATION between not/having breakfast leads to weight loss/gain? No, in both events.

I never said there was. I didn't say it was required. I offered my opinion as a trainer and someone who struggles to maintain their weight like many do on here.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    All I meant to say is that I have found my people are more sucessful when they eat breakfast.

I'm saddened to see how many people take offense to such a simple comment. Is there any science proving CAUSATION between not/having breakfast leads to weight loss/gain? No, in both events.

I never said there was. I didn't say it was required. I offered my opinion as a trainer and someone who struggles to maintain their weight like many do on here.

Just and FYI, didn't take offense but rather explaining my position. :drinker:
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That's 100% fine, and I don't mind agreeing to disagree. I just think all the insults about being a bro are bit much, considering it's not a stereotype I play into at all.
  • amccall69
    amccall69 Posts: 19
    Options
    Well now, this has all been quite invigorating but I must get back to searching the intrawebs for the answers to my questions...

:tongue:

Thanks again for all the input!
  • erikatoth
    erikatoth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Please, not the "you must eat breakfast" myth again.

Fact: eating less makes you lose weight. Fact: eating when you don't feel like it, makes you full, heavy and less likely to lose weight.

The reason these so called "studies" say that "people who eat breakfast more likely to lose weight" is because it's about people who like and want breakfast, but starve themselves for the sake of weight loss. Of course it's not going to work then... please use some common sense. The metabolism does not need "kickstarting", its running all the time.

Jesus, people, it's just so simple! Eat breakfast if you are hungry! Skip breakfast if you are not hungry, and the only thing you fancy is a coffee. This is just this simple. Of course you should not skip it if you are hungry. Of course you should skip it if you are not.
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go back through each of these responses (thanks for taking the time - I really appreciate it!!).

I'm not sure where it even started out that I only have coffee for breakfast...because I always eat breakfast with some kind of protein and carb involved. I usually have one cup of coffee with one Sweet n Low on my drive in to work....after that I drink water, tons of water and that's it....Ever.

I started 30Day Shred today....we'll see where this goes...

Now back to reading each response.

Thanks again!!!

I didn't lose any weight on the 3o day shred but lost inches. Measure yourself before you start if you stick to it you will see a big difference
  • jodi8785
    jodi8785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can not believe how rude most of you are being to someone new to this and clearly needs help. I am disgusted.
  • jodi8785
    jodi8785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I can't recommend eating breakfast enough. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. Absolutely essential, your coffee in the AM is not a meal.

Holy Broscience Batman, you should spend some time researching then, because this myth was busted a long time ago by the NIH. Congrats.

Is this the NIM artical to which you were referring? because it doesn't say what you are saying. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15883552

or this one- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11836452

if you can find the artical to which you were referring, I'd like to read it.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    This my opinion only and it might be bull**** but in my experience, my body seem to have set point where it is comfortable and the only way to make things move is to do things vastly different. 30ds might do it for you.

lol, thought it was just me. We'll see if it's still the case this go-round.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I can't recommend eating breakfast enough. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. Absolutely essential, your coffee in the AM is not a meal.

Holy Broscience Batman, you should spend some time researching then, because this myth was busted a long time ago by the NIH. Congrats.

Is this the NIM artical to which you were referring? because it doesn't say what you are saying. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15883552

or this one- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11836452

if you can find the artical to which you were referring, I'd like to read it.

Here is the one on meal frequency http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

I am still looking to find the one on meal timing as it relates to weight loss. But you can derive from the first one, it doesn't matter if you have 1 meal or 10 meals, it still provides the same affect on weight loss. Now from the psychological perspective, breakfast may help with prevention of cravings which will make weight loss easier and more manageable. Also, my work has it blocked, but you can look into www.leangains.com as it has some good information as well, especially regarding interim fasting.