Do you have a cheat/break from counting day?

Options
2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm weaning myself off of calorie-counting... Let's face it, we really don't want to do this forever. So I'm just trying to use what I've learned over 5 years of calorie counting to help myself make better "general" decisions. Sometimes I will have a day when I know I'm eating more calories than I should, but in that case I try to eat less the next day.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    nope and i log everything. even the stuff i don't wants peps on my FL to see.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    It hasn't worked for me in the past and I ended up spiraling out of control. It isn't the off limits food that gets me, it's tasting it and wanting MORE.

So I'm working on portions and being satisfied. I can't do the 'cheat day' thing. Never really understood the concept.

But I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I can't go back to that until I understand what food is for and what it isn't.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No. Don't beleive in cheating. I've made it a lifestyle change. I'm having a good time everyday finding better ways to spend my calories.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I’m following the LOSE 1 lb per week setting which is fine from Monday –Friday but when it comes to Saturday and Sunday I overdue it and end up losing ½ pound a week instead of 1. I was wondering if I switched to LOSE 1-1/2 lb per week and continue with my two cheat days would I still lose 1 lb per week. Does anyone else have a cheat day?

First, I'd up it to 1.5 instead of 1 and then concentrate on keeping your WEEKLY calories under control. It's called "calorie cycling" and many people do it.

Second, especially when you're starting out, drop the word "cheat" from your vocabulary. Count everything, be honest. You're only cheating yourself out of learning opportunities when you don't log.

Finally, remember that whatever you do, once you've lost the weight you want to, you need to have learned how to maintain that weight and not gain it all back. Develop habits that will last a long time - that CAN include eating more on the weekends, but it means you'll have to plan it all, which means no cheating - just planning.
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I never set out to have a cheat day, but always log them to see where i went wrong OR find out what I thought was really naughty I can actually get away with sometimes... x Stay strong and don't beat yourself up too much. minus 1/2 pound is better than plus 1/2 or an extra 5 days of naughty which could mean plus 2 & 1/2 lbs a week..... xx
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Myfitnessnmho- yes! Yes. Calorie cycling is what I had in mind but not the still logging on weekends. It makes sense. It has to add up to a weekly total and I can’t go over if I’m going to do it. I guess there is no real “cheating” in losing weight. I’ll do the planning!
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying!!! I appreciate all the input!

Jessicas0215- I’m afraid having a cheat day might lead into a cheat week too

Babutkiewicz & Secretlobster- my athletic brother always tells me its about making choices in everymeal (grilled vs fried, water vs soda) but I haven’t gotten to that place where I can do that and still lose weight. I feel as though if I’m not counting, I’m not losing.

Kellip1015- I feel as though for the past 2 weeks my weekends have been jeopardizing my weekday effort :/

Toshie333- that’s what I was thinking: saving calories for the weekend.

Leanmachinedr- I feel the same way

Jimgatewood- the more I read people’s replies the more I’m realizing I’m going to have to make it an everyday effort.

Fitfaery- Half a pound is better than nothing! Thanks! :smile: