Non fishy fish

Options
ladybg81
ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
Give me some ideas of what fish to try; non-fishy fish. I've tried tilapia a few times but it is too fishy for my taste. I've got some grouper and mahi mahi (which I LOVE) in the freezer now. What other fish should I try. I like them to have a nice, firm texture as well.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried salmon? I have never tried it, that's why I ask!

I love fish. Normally I just get the Haddock at the market, it's my favorite! I season it with a little oil and some cajun seasoning and then bake it. It comes out so good!

I've also never had Mahi Mahi, what's your recommendation on cooking it?
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest grouper. I get it fresh here on the Florida coast & I think it's amazing & not "fishy" good luck!

Btw, I won't touch Tilapia, it's usually farm raised in Asia and loses most of it's nutritional value.
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you don't really like the texture/smell, I recommend blending any fish with any veg, add an onion, spices and an egg then fry in a pan with light oil or bake.

Personally find cod a bit too fishy, but a previous posted said haddock is quite light. White fish are normally lighter and less fish. Tuna steak is awesome!
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Salmon is super fishy.

Halibut, Catfish, Sea Bass, Tuna. Most of the white fishes will be less fishy. You might have had some bad tilapia if yours was fishy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Halibut
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Orange roughy
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Salmon is great baked with a little lemon pepper seasoning and Tuna steaks are great on the grill marinated in some italian dressing.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Salmon is super fishy.

Halibut, Catfish, Sea Bass, Tuna. Most of the white fishes will be less fishy. You might have had some bad tilapia if yours was fishy.

I've never had salmon, I almost tried some last week but then I decided not to because the dinner party I went to had it smothered in some cream sauce and it didn't look too good!
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Salmon is super fishy.

I've never had fishy salmon and I eat it alot.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Halibut
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Tilapia...fresh or frozen. Both are nice and mild :smile:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

When fish is fresh (and I mean actually fresh...most grocery stores just thaw out frozen fish) it doesn't have that fishy smell/flavor.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Please don't eat Orange Roughy because:

"Orange roughy is a fish that has no business playing any significant role in our seafood industry. The animal simply isn't built to withstand heavy fishing pressure. First off, it reaches market size well before sexual maturity -- a lamentable characteristic, since this results in many roughy being eaten before they've had a chance to reproduce and repopulate the fishery. Second, the animal itself can live to a tremendous age -- 90-year-old roughy are not uncommon (at least, they weren't before we started eating them all). Fish that live that long are generally not built to reproduce in great numbers; they have evolutionarily invested in longevity rather than in quantity of offspring.

To worsen matters, orange roughy is caught using wantonly destructive bottom trawl nets, and its flesh is a simple, flaky white fillet (there are other, more sustainable sources for this type of product.) It's best to avoid this species altogether."

Source: http://www.alternet.org/water/150407/4_fish_we_should_never_eat/
  • ladyfacehead
    ladyfacehead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love salmon. It's never been fishy tasting to me ( I generally hate fishy fish) I usually just pan sear it for about 7 minutes on either side and voila!
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

When fish is fresh (and I mean actually fresh...most grocery stores just thaw out frozen fish) it doesn't have that fishy smell/flavor.

This! I'm very grateful for where I live, amazing seafood
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    It's interesting seeing the different opinions regarding the salmon. I myself have never had it...hubby got some last week and that thing LOOKED fishy lol I wasn't going near it lol
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Soak your fish in skim milk for 20-30 minutes.
    Drag through bread crumbs.
    Bake at 500 degrees for 8-12 minutes.

The milk takes away the "fishyness" (trout and perch are my favorites to do this with and tend to be on the inexpensive side).

Also, I agree with buying fresh if possible.

But seriously, this is the tastiest, best textured homemade fish technique I have ever used.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I used to love salmon, tuna and cod before I was vegetarian, and I wasn't the fishy type. For E.G mackrel was a BIG no no for me then.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I live near the gulf and have an abundance of fresh seafood. The mahi I actually got fresh and then froze it myself. I generally do not buy store bought frozen fish since one of my husband's good friends owns a seafood place on the gulf. I appreciate everyone's input. Shrimp are actually my go to (is those can even be considered fish!) Thanks again!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

Indeed. Makes me want sushi now. I love fresh yellowtail (i.e. Japanese amberjack or himachi ).