Non fishy fish

Options

Replies

• SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A firm "non-fishy" fish is Cod or Scrod which is also surprizingly good frozen.

I agree that most so called "fishyness" is fish that is thawed or older than it should be.

Really fresh Atlantic Salmon is terific and should not have a fishy tast or smell.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    good info.
    I'm new to fish too
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Cod. Tilapia. Mahi-Mahi. Tuna Steaks. Salmon.
  • lisa2826
    lisa2826 Posts: 16
    Options
    All fish is good. If you are not sure if it will be fishy, let it soak in some milk, (skim, 1%, 2%, unsweetened almond, rice etc.) It will remove any smell or fishy taste. I love seafood, cooked or raw. I happen to love pickled herring myself. But I don't eat it often. just as a treat now and then. Happy fishing!
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    IMO.

Salmon is not so much "fishy" but more "salmony" its definitely a specific flavor and smell. It really needs to be seasoned well for me to like it. Otherwise, not so much... its very salmony.

I think Catfish, somewhere mentioned earlier, is wayyyy toooooo fishy!!! eek

Mahi Mahi, yum. My fav.

Here's one that is my all time favorite, and I am totally not a fish lover.

But its rather expensivo! Its called Chilean Sea Bass... ohhh its so good and a sweet flavor.... mmmmmmmmmm
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have never been fond of fish.

I recently tried fresh salmon and tilapia.

The salmon was very nice I baked it with a mapley syrup, dijon mustard and fresh grated ginger glaze. It was enjoyable and I've actually made it a second time.

I did not care for the tilapia.

Thanks for the great ideas.

Karen
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you are not trying any exotic fish remember that the basic fish you get at the store should not smell strong. When fish has a strong fishy odor it may well not on it's way to being bad.

Good fish should smell clean and fresh. I go for salmon, but I am in Seattle and the quality of the fish is fantastic. Just a little salt and pepper. If you don't but sauces on it etc you will understand fish and its flavouring much better in the long run.

Also find a good fishmonger and ask them questions, tell them your preferences and they are going to be able to put you in a good direction. If your just staring to like fish, way to go. Its packed with wonderful flavour and an abundant amount of nutritional goodness.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

When fish is fresh (and I mean actually fresh...most grocery stores just thaw out frozen fish) it doesn't have that fishy smell/flavor.
    Not everyone is close enough to a coast to have access to fresh fish.

Swai is a good, mild-tasting fish.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't do fish....I can't stand the fishy taste or the texture....but lobster and shrimp are spectacular. I'll eat fresh scallops, too. I can tolerate fried walleye fingers....the skinny little strips, but other than that...Yuck.

I've tried mahi mahi and that wasn't too terribly fishy. The texture gets me.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    its all about the basa (catfish), no fish taste whatsoever, falls apart and melts in your mouth

my fave recipe is http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-baked-catfish/detail.aspx
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've had good and bad tilapia. The bad was bad enough that I'm a little leery of trying it again.
    I do enjoy grouper, walleye, flounder, halibut, sea bass, mahi-mahi(dolphin fish), and red snapper.
    Cod is OK, but not my fav.
    Trout and catfish are, to me, fishy.
    I detest salmon - I find it both oily and fishy. However, I enjoy a tuna steak.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    its all about the basa (catfish), no fish taste whatsoever, falls apart and melts in your mouth
    Catfish is the strongest-tasting fish I've eaten.
    I've had good and bad tilapia
    I have had the same experience. Found that the farm-raised tends to taste nastier. Word is they eat more crap... literally.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

When fish is fresh (and I mean actually fresh...most grocery stores just thaw out frozen fish) it doesn't have that fishy smell/flavor.

this!!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

totally agree.

A nice fresh white flesh fish is the best for a non fishy fish. Oily fish Salmon, Trout, Mackerel etc have a more distinct taste that some love and some don't.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    All fish is good. If you are not sure if it will be fishy, let it soak in some milk, (skim, 1%, 2%, unsweetened almond, rice etc.) It will remove any smell or fishy taste. I love seafood, cooked or raw. I happen to love pickled herring myself. But I don't eat it often. just as a treat now and then. Happy fishing!

^ This the mexicans in Mexico use milk to kill the fishy taste.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Stop buying frozen.

Problem solved.

Not everyone is close enough to a coast to have access to fresh fish.

Swai is a good, mild-tasting fish.

Not every fish lives close to the coast either, there are plenty of nice fresh water fish out there.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi .. I love all fish but I would suggest - monk fish - really sweet firm fish - good in pasta. Tuna - as it doesn't have a 'fish' texture, Hake is also very good... all the best :)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Haddock. I dislike most fish but this one is not that bad at all. I prefer shrimp, Oysters, scallops, clams, and lobster though.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating seafood, I didnt like fishy fish either. Canned tuna is a bit too fishy for me sometimes! But the flavoured varieties are less so. The first fish I tried that I liked was Gurnard - very mild, and I also quite like Hoki and snapper.

If the fish is old, then it smells, even if it is one of the milder flavoured ones, so make sure you only eat super fresh fish. Frozen is fine too, I'm having frozen Hoki for tea tonight! But it has to be snap frozen so that it doesnt smell.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    ^ This the mexicans in Mexico use milk to kill the fishy taste.
    The non-mexicans in Mexico just put up with the fishy taste. :laugh:

Best fish I've had in Mexico was like this (al mojo de ajo), hundreds of kilometers from the coast...

pesalmojo.jpg