Grills: Charcoal or Gas?

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
I LOVE my Weber 22.5" Kettle grill for taste, but I like the convenience of gas.

What about you?

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Charcoal man myself. Gas is convenient but I have an oven for that. If I'm grilling I'm using briquettes.
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    Charcoal ONLY. Gas NEVER. If you want to use a gas grill you might as well stay inside and cook on the stove. Grilling requires charcoal!!! :flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Coal. Not charcoal but actual coal
    Options

:sick: No thanks. That's just asking for trouble.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I know in US Coal isn't used but always been curious as to why? Grew up using coal and you can tell the taste difference
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of charcoal when someone else has to deal with the mess/hassle. Gas is so much easier, cleaner, convenient.

Hubby just filled up the propane tanks. Two tanks will last us all summer. And we grill for dinner at least 2-3 times per week, if not more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Weber 22.5" Kettle grill for taste, but I like the convenience of gas.

What about you?

Same.. I love charcoal, but gas is so much easier. In the ideal world I suppose I'd have one of each, but for now I have gas only.
  • prattep
    prattep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I BBQ/smoke, I start out with charcoal + choice of wood chunks for smoke. Once that step is done, I keep it slow & low with gas for several hours. It's much easier to control the heat and cooking time that way. All other grilling, generally I use gas because it's convenient.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    charcoal is nummy for steaks and chicken but for my burgers and all that jazz we use propane gas grill... grillin in the summer is a must... who wants to spend all that money on the air then to heat it up with the stove sillys...
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Big Green Egg, electrically started lump charcoal only....lighter fluid and the additives in briquettes aren't allowed in my house. It makes your food taste awful.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I use both. I always prefer to use my charcoal grill because the flavor is much better; however, my gas grill gets use when I don't have as much time to grill something up, but I still want something grilled.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

What about you?

Same.. I love charcoal, but gas is so much easier. In the ideal world I suppose I'd have one of each, but for now I have gas only.

this.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Big Green Egg, electrically started lump charcoal only....lighter fluid and the additives in briquettes aren't allowed in my house. It makes your food taste awful.

You gave me wood by saying you have the Big Green Egg. I'm saving for one....
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Cheap gas grill for quick dinners etc. A smoker for when you have time to plan ahead.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

What about you?

this.

Me too... (That, and I wouldn't have the first clue how to cook on a charcoal grill. Been using the gas one for WAY too long! But, I DO love the taste of food cooked on a charcoal grill!)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Charcoal ONLY. Gas NEVER. If you want to use a gas grill you might as well stay inside and cook on the stove. Grilling requires charcoal!!! :flowerforyou:

^^This!!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Gas for convenience... I use it so much more than I did my charcoal grill.
    Options

I know in US Coal isn't used but always been curious as to why? Grew up using coal and you can tell the taste difference

Coal = anthracite (used for heating homes, and used in power plants)
    Charcoal = burnt wood (used for grilling)

Are you seriously telling us that you use the mineral anthracite in your grill, actual coal and not charcoal? They look quite similar, but they are very different things.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Charcoal all the way for me. I love the smell and just the relaxation of sitting near it as it gets hot enough.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Charcoal! Its the only way to go!