Replies

• AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Charcoal
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    both! We have the chargriller that is 1/2 gas and 1/2 charcoal..and we have the side firebox for smoking food. We love it and use it about 3 times a week March -October.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i prefer charcoal + wood chips, but we have a dual grill (hopefully soon we'll get the smoker attatchment!) - i use the charcoal side most, but every so often the gas side is nice for unplanned grilling or just something quick.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If the charcoal isn't doused with lighter fluid, I like the flavor charcoal gives. But since it usually is, I generally use gas. But I love grilling while camping...wood does it better. :P
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For everyday cooking during the week I have to go with gas for the speed and convenience. When I've got more time I'll use charcoal and on the weekends it's pecan or mesquite for hours on end. I like having multiple outdoor cooking devices/options.
  • 1Ciarrah
    1Ciarrah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depends on who is doing the grilling. If it is me then gas all the way. If it is my husband then charcoal.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Charcoal man myself. Gas is convenient but I have an oven for that. If I'm grilling I'm using briquettes.

This minus the man part as i am a female :)
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 foot long 3 in 1. Gas, charcoal, and smoker. I can do all three at once if I want.

you must have the same grill I do. I LOVE it!
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Charcoal. Have had a scary incident with gas, so I will stick with charcoal. Nothing like the smell of a charcoal grill. Seriously makes me weak in the knees when I smell it somewhere. I freaking love summer time!
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    Coal. Not charcoal but actual coal

:sick: No thanks. That's just asking for trouble.

I know in US Coal isn't used but always been curious as to why? Grew up using coal and you can tell the taste difference

Coal = anthracite (used for heating homes, and used in power plants)
    Charcoal = burnt wood (used for grilling)

Are you seriously telling us that you use the mineral anthracite in your grill, actual coal and not charcoal? They look quite similar, but they are very different things.

I don't know what anthracite is however most of the world uses pure coal for grilling, me included.

No, most of the world uses CHARcoal, not mineral coal. lol

COAL
    coal_group.jpg

CHARCOAL
    charcoalbriquette_1.jpg
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    charcoal mostly. we have a gas grill, but it rarely gets any action. we have a firepit too, and really it gets used more than anything else. lots of bonfires in the summer.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I mainly use charcoal. I have a bit of a Weber collection on the go. The main grill is my Weber Performer with gas assist for the charcoal. But I have 3 more weber kettles and a Weber propane grill for quick chicken breasts or when the fire bans are on.

Just this weekend I smoked 2 pork loins for pulled pork, a chuck roast for BBQ beef and did a 10 lb chicken all on the kettles for my daughters birthday party.

www.bbq-brethren.com is my second favorite site beside this one. That site is one of the main reasons I had to start on this site. ;-)

All lean proteins on the grill now.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Food should never be convienent. That's why sites like this exist. Charcoal every time!

You're right. So we'll light up the charcoal and it should be ready just about the time the kiddos have to go to bed. I'm sure they won't mind.

Gas for me - we don't get home from work until after 6, and I can't wait the hour for the coals to be ready. I would, however, love to have a charcoal grill for weekend use.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    natural gas if its available, propane is ok if its the only option. with gas you have more control over the heat, I can (and do) pretty much everything on my grill i can do inside on the stove or in the oven, including baking.... when build my house I'm going to have to put in a full fledged out door kitchen that has all the stuff a normal inside kitchen does
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    We have the Weber Performer. Starts with gas and you leave it on until the coals get hot, then shut the gas off and then its a charcoal grill. We had a gas grill for so long and love the convenience of it, but when that grill needed to replaced we decided to make the switch to charcoal, but didn't want to sacrifice being able to cook on the grill 3-4 times a week. It's amazing.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Charcoal man myself. Gas is convenient but I have an oven for that. If I'm grilling I'm using briquettes.

I agree^^ Grillin' is all about the smoke and taste. :smokin:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Charcoal...and why wait for the briquettes? Use a chimney starter and you don't need lighter fluid.

I was given a George Foreman gas grill, I only use it for camping when I make eggs and hash browns.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have the patience for charcoal, and I never figured out how to regulate the temperature, I usually ended up cooking everything way too fast. I use gas now, the taste difference isn't enough to justify charcoal, especially when you're a good cook ;)
  • Lassoo
    Lassoo Posts: 20
    Options
    Food should never be convienent. That's why sites like this exist. Charcoal every time!

You're right. So we'll light up the charcoal and it should be ready just about the time the kiddos have to go to bed. I'm sure they won't mind.

Gas for me - we don't get home from work until after 6, and I can't wait the hour for the coals to be ready. I would, however, love to have a charcoal grill for weekend use.

Not sure what kind of charcoal you are using, but it's never taken me an hour to get it ready to cook. Appreciate the sarcasm though. Good to meet you too!
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use gas only because where i live won't let me build a real hearth to cook with wood. Apartment has something about fire hazard and safty. :happy: