I need ideas for packing a clean lunch!! cold salads, etc...

Options
13»

Replies

• threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I pack mini whole wheat pitas and stuff them with cucumbers and some form of light dressing. Tasty little crunchy things they are!
  • hallcorriej
    Options
    sound amazing!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I don't like lettuce, so when making a salad I'll omit it and use a bunch of chopped veggies: tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, onion, mushrooms, jicima, etc. Then I'll add in some tuna, egg, or chicken breast, a little cheese, and maybe some dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. Basically, a little of everything you might find at a salad bar, but without the lettuce.
  • Kiki_009
    Kiki_009 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you could also do warm pastas in a thermos.

And I love the blog 100daysofrealfood The blogger is a mom and packs lunches for her kids that are always "real" food. She has lots of recipes and ideas. The one we use the most is to make smoothies and freeze them in these: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-431-4-Piece-Silicone-Maker/dp/B0036B9KHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336496191&sr=8-1

They thaw by lunch time but are still cold. My kids love them.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    bump
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cut a pita in half and stuff it with your favorite deli meat, tomato, cucumber, sprouts (if you are able to eat those), avocado, etc. Cold veggies and hummus (so many different flavors) is great and portable - also good with crackers. Yogurt is always a good option because you can buy large tubs of plain or vanilla yogurt and mix in your favorite fresh/local/seasonal fruits - especially good if your kids have different fruit preferences. I also love to make falafel at home (basically just boiled and mashed chick peas with a little coriander, cumin and parsley - flattened into patties and cooked in olive oil or baked) and stuff it into a whole wheat pita with tomato and avocado. Cheese and crackers are easy - maybe with some deli meat or pepperoni - could be fun for the kids to make their own "cracker sandwiches" at the park. As long as you have a cooler and an ice pack, the possibilities are nearly endless. You can make a great vegan pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, penne, olive oil, olives and some seasonings, which won't necessarily require refrigeration and doesn't need to be heated. You really can combine a lot of small portions of foods you'd typically thing of as snacks (some raw nuts, a piece of fruit, veggies, etc.) so that you have a balanced and portable lunch.
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • 123philhunting
    123philhunting Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just made this... Outrageous.....Thanks!!!!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    great ideas here!

p.s. Bento boxes website is pretty awesome!!

I love Bento boxes, they're so creative! I've got all kinds of silicone cups, tiny cutters to make shapes, molds for hard boiled eggs (rabbit, car, cat, dog), dividers, all kinds of stuff to make them look "pretty". My daughter loved them and didn't want to look at them until lunch time so she was surprised every day. That's a good element for kids, how cool and pretty their lunch looks. Makes them want to eat them even more I think and if it's filled with healthy stuff, all the better!