Cupcakes Banned in MA Schools

Options
I live in the only state that has banned school bake sales, thinking THAT'S going to change the obesity problem. And, they want to ban all fundraising for sports teams by selling cookies or candy, no cupcakes or treats given out for birthdays and no banquets for sports, etc. Maybe it would make more sense to have bigger bake sales and raise money to keep phys ed in the schools!

I'm disgusted!

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    what crap is that??? Completely absurd.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options

It's total crap from the state that feels the need to control everything we do and how we raise our kids. Do you know that our schools will give condoms to 12 year olds, without the parents knowledge, but these same kids can't be trusted with a cupcake. True story!
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    Options

It's total crap from the state that feels the need to control everything we do and how we raise our kids. Do you know that our schools will give condoms to 12 year olds, without the parents knowledge, but these same kids can't be trusted with a cupcake. True story!

Sounds like California too! Regulating people severly will not change obesity in anyone! Stupid government!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

Sounds like California too! Regulating people severly will not change obesity in anyone! Stupid government!

Stupid CONTROLLING gov'!
  • determined136
    determined136 Posts: 332
    Options
    I am with you. They need to worry more about Physical Education in schools! It is crazy that they have done away with PE but then they turn around and serve them a lunch with 2000 calories in it because "for some kids this is all they will eat today". There seems to be a definate problem and it isn't cupcakes.

and don't even get me started on the condoms......:explode:
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I am with you. They need to worry more about Physical Education in schools! It is crazy that they have done away with PE but then they turn around and serve them a lunch with 2000 calories in it because "for some kids this is all they will eat today". There seems to be a definate problem and it isn't cupcakes.

and don't even get me started on the condoms......:explode:

I am so with you here!!
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that caters meals to schools...just recently we got notified of a HUGE government regulation change to all meals. It should make things verrrrrry interesting....and kids are gonna HATE the new foods!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

How many obese people vs people w/ kids under 18? Parent's clearly aren't doing a very good job with the obesity problem.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    The last school lunch I saw consisted of (alleged) chicken nuggets, corn, fruit punch, and canned fruit......I don't think the problem is the bake sales or birthday parties.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Stupid CONTROLLING gov'!

Move to Texas! We allow our kids to pack heat! ( lol Jk! Texas is a great state though! )
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Prohibition worked really well, too
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hate this state too (MA) Can't wait to move out of here.
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm in Ireland, my son's school seems to have a really good structure in place - they all bring packed lunches but their lunch must contain at least one piece of fruit daily. They're not allowed bring crisps (potato chips), soda, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, but on Fridays they're allowed to bring a chocolate bar or a cupcake or bun. I think it's a good way to teach them moderation. They also have swimming, football and gardening (!) during the week.

For all I give out about it, I guess we're actually pretty lucky!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I'm in Ireland, my son's school seems to have a really good structure in place - they all bring packed lunches but their lunch must contain at least one piece of fruit daily. They're not allowed bring crisps (potato chips), soda, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, but on Fridays they're allowed to bring a chocolate bar or a cupcake or bun. I think it's a good way to teach them moderation. They also have swimming, football and gardening (!) during the week.

For all I give out about it, I guess we're actually pretty lucky!

I disagree. I packed my kids lunches every day and I would be really angry with the public schools (gov't run) telling me what I can and can't feed my kids.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    How many obese people vs people w/ kids under 18? Parent's clearly aren't doing a very good job with the obesity problem.
    [/quote]

This!
    Schools are a place for people to learn academics but also to learn how to live! I agree that there should be more phys ed. but government allocations of funds is a whole different issue. This is an attempt to model healthy choices without the funds !
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    people complain about how we live in a culture that promotes unhealthy living. How are you going to get upset when someone actually tries to do something about it?
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    Lifelong Masshole here. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

I'm pretty sure people get plenty of baked goods outside of bake sales hahaha...

In my town of Needham, they made the smoking age 21. Now, before we get into a why smoking is bad discussion, look at it from a revenue standpoint. Anyone under 21 just goes to one of the surrounding towns and buys their nicotine there.

Back to the food discussion, we need to get Jamie Oliver into our schools to get children to want to eat healthier and we need to do something about parents feeding their kids hamburger helper legit every night haha.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

Back to the food discussion, we need to get Jamie Oliver into our schools to get children to want to eat healthier and we need to do something about parents feeding their kids hamburger helper legit every night haha.

^^ This - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jamie Oliver and his program. I am sick of big brother feeding crap to our kids in schools and when parents pack a lunch a school has the right to take it away claiming its unhealthy? I am trying to figure out when a turkey sandwich is unhealthy vs pizza and french fries???
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    WTH did they think would happen when there is no such thing as PE and recess in schools anymore and bus stops are at EVERY single damn corner?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    This reminds when when I was 8 years old and my mother told me to clean up my room. I would grab everything, throw it in the closet, cram it shut and have her come inspect it. Yeah, it looked good and neat from the outside but once you opened the door, all the crap came out. You can make things look real good if you shove all the real problems out of sight.

This is just another misplaced attempt by the government to make it seem that they are trying to do something about childhood obesity but not actually doing the work. There are many other ways to go about change. How about they start on the school lunch programs? :)

Figures, the kids who exercise and probably eat that stuff in moderation gets the short end of the stick. That's pretty messed up.