Whoa.. what? WALKING burns more fat than running?

Options

Replies

• sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that you burn the same amount of calories per the distance. ( ie walking 1 mile burns the same amount of calories as walking 1 mile) just the amount of time it takes to do it is longer
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I believe the rule of thumb is 100 calories burned per mile - walking or running. It's just that you burn it a lot faster if you run.,

Wrong. Running averages approximately 7-10 calories per minute depending on your effort. Walking is about half that.

You will usually get further in the same amount of time if you run, so yes you're right you will burn more per minute.

But energy(calories) expended is mostly a function of mass(weight) X distance. So, the first poster is correct in saying walking or running one mile burns about the same.

And a person that weights 200 pounds will burn more calories walking a mile than a person that weights 150 pounds.
  • LynneWyre
    LynneWyre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I need to read this ten times to understand it.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I believe the rule of thumb is 100 calories burned per mile - walking or running. It's just that you burn it a lot faster if you run.,

Wrong. Running averages approximately 7-10 calories per minute depending on your effort. Walking is about half that.

You will usually get further in the same amount of time if you run, so yes you're right you will burn more per minute.

But energy(calories) expended is mostly a function of mass(weight) X distance. So, the first poster is correct in saying walking or running one mile burns about the same.

And a person that weights 200 pounds will burn more calories walking a mile than a person that weights 150 pounds.

I don't agree, because running and walking is not using the same technique and muscles
    this is from runnersworld.com
    "When you walk, you keep your legs mostly straight, and your center of gravity rides along fairly smoothly on top of your legs. In running, we actually jump from one foot to the other. Each jump raises our center of gravity when we take off, and lowers it when we land, since we bend the knee to absorb the shock. This continual rise and fall of our weight requires a tremendous amount of Newtonian force (fighting gravity) on both takeoff and landing.

Now that you understand why running burns 50 percent more calories per mile than walking, I hate to tell you that it's a mostly useless number. Sorry. We mislead ourselves when we talk about the total calorie burn (TCB) of exercise rather than the net calorie burn (NCB). To figure the NCB of any activity, you must subtract the resting metabolic calories your body would have burned, during the time of the workout, even if you had never gotten off the sofa.

You rarely hear anyone talk about the NCB of workouts, because this is America, dammit, and we like our numbers big and bold. Subtraction is not a popular activity. Certainly not among the infomercial hucksters and weight-loss gurus who want to promote exercise schemes. "It's bizarre that you hear so much about the gross calorie burn instead of the net," says Swain. "It could keep people from realizing why they're having such a hard time losing weight."

Thanks to the Syracuse researchers, we now know the relative NCB of running a mile in 9:30 versus walking the same mile in 19:00. Their male subjects burned 105 calories running, 52 walking; the women, 91 and 43. That is, running burns twice as many net calories per mile as walking. And since you can run two miles in the time it takes to walk one mile, running burns four times as many net calories per hour as walking. "
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that you burn the same amount of calories per the distance. ( ie walking 1 mile burns the same amount of calories as walking 1 mile) just the amount of time it takes to do it is longer

Sorry, that's mistaken.....see the post above re: net calories burned.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I don't agree, because running and walking is not using the same technique and muscles
    "When you walk, you keep your legs mostly straight, and your center of gravity rides along fairly smoothly on top of your legs. In running, we actually jump from one foot to the other. Each jump raises our center of gravity when we take off, and lowers it when we land, since we bend the knee to absorb the shock. This continual rise and fall of our weight requires a tremendous amount of Newtonian force (fighting gravity) on both takeoff and landing.

Now that you understand why running burns 50 percent more calories per mile than walking, I hate to tell you that it's a mostly useless number. Sorry. We mislead ourselves when we talk about the total calorie burn (TCB) of exercise rather than the net calorie burn (NCB). To figure the NCB of any activity, you must subtract the resting metabolic calories your body would have burned, during the time of the workout, even if you had never gotten off the sofa.

You rarely hear anyone talk about the NCB of workouts, because this is America, dammit, and we like our numbers big and bold. Subtraction is not a popular activity. Certainly not among the infomercial hucksters and weight-loss gurus who want to promote exercise schemes. "It's bizarre that you hear so much about the gross calorie burn instead of the net," says Swain. "It could keep people from realizing why they're having such a hard time losing weight."

Thanks to the Syracuse researchers, we now know the relative NCB of running a mile in 9:30 versus walking the same mile in 19:00. Their male subjects burned 105 calories running, 52 walking; the women, 91 and 43. That is, running burns twice as many net calories per mile as walking. And since you can run two miles in the time it takes to walk one mile, running burns four times as many net calories per hour as walking. "

There's an echo in here.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it's good for belly fat. I was exercising and doing lots of cardio and I couldn't lose my gut so I asked her and she told me to keep exercising but go for a walk every day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it's good for belly fat. I was exercising and doing lots of cardio and I couldn't lose my gut so I asked her and she told me to keep exercising but go for a walk every day.

I'd get a new doctor, with all due respect. There is nothing, not 1 single thing that target belly fat as opposed to the rest of the fat on your body, The way to get rid of belly fat is to reduce overall body fat %. Plain and simple. I would hope any competent MD would know that!! The whole reduce belly fat thing is a ridiculous myth whenever you hear it.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Running is a more efficient use of your time, however walking is low enough impact that you can do a ton of it, absolutely blowing away every other form of exercise when it comes to the amount you can do in a single session if time doesn't matter. Also because of this, you can walk, a lot, every single day with no adverse effects.

Even though I run, strength train, and do yoga, I still find the time to walk 10-15 miles a week. Mostly on my lunch breaks, a way to get out of the office, get some fresh air, and move my legs. Before I could handle a higher workload with more intense exercise, I was walking closer to 30-40 miles a week.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this. This is why I like MFP, sometimes I learn something!

I had thought that there would be a slight increase with the running but not as much as the Syracuse study showed.

When I started running though it took me about 45 min to run 5k and about 50 min to walk the same 5k. I would think that for people than run slower than 9 1/2 minute miles and walk faster than a 19 min mile, the difference would not be as great?

(edit to add:sorry screwed up on quote thingy, last few parts only is mine)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I'd get a new doctor, with all due respect. There is nothing, not 1 single thing that target belly fat as opposed to the rest of the fat on your body, The way to get rid of belly fat is to reduce overall body fat %. Plain and simple. I would hope any competent MD would know that!! The whole reduce belly fat thing is a ridiculous myth whenever you hear it.

The only thing that might make that comment go together is if the Dr was thinking running would be more stressful, more chance for cortisol release, more belly fat held on to.
    Compared to walking being gentle enough not to do that.

And then Dr failed to explain what they meant or how things tied together.
  • heybales
    Options
    Running is a more efficient use of your time, however walking is low enough impact that you can do a ton of it, absolutely blowing away every other form of exercise when it comes to the amount you can do in a single session if time doesn't matter. Also because of this, you can walk, a lot, every single day with no adverse effects.

Even though I run, strength train, and do yoga, I still find the time to walk 10-15 miles a week. Mostly on my lunch breaks, a way to get out of the office, get some fresh air, and move my legs. Before I could handle a higher workload with more intense exercise, I was walking closer to 30-40 miles a week.

Another great reason. While you can accomplish more in 30 min compared to 1 hr perhaps walking, if it hurts the joints and keeps knocking you for injuries, what was the use of it overall. If it makes it such you can only do every other day, compared to every day walking, not really an overall benefit then.

Depends on the stage of the journey.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    heybales, that's what cross training is for. It's not an argument for not running (and realistically, no, it doesn't actually hurt much at all, but your legs tire), it's an argument for a varied training schedule. I run. I cycle. I walk. Among other things.
  • heybales
    Options
    Interesting info on study of energy consumption during the walk to running range. Nice chart still on site.
    So if you want more calorie burn per mile, do NOT walk 3.5 mph on avg, faster or slower is more inefficient.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html

WalkRunEnergyExpenditures.gif

Walking approximately 5.6 km/h (3.5 mph) is the most efficient speed. Running efficiency appears to taper off at higher speeds.

Transitioning from walking to running requires an increase of energy unlike once speculated. The primary stimulus for the transition from walking to running [Preferred Transition Speed (PTS)] is prompted by the perceived or imminent fatigue and discomfort in the tibialis anterior and other dorsal flexion muscle of the ankle (Hreljac 1995, Prilutshy et al 2001).

Usain Bolt was the fasted human on record during the 100 meter sprint at 44.72 km/h (27.79 mph). That was the average speed between the 60th and the 80th meter.

Calories calculated from regression formulas adapted by ACSM (ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription). See Walk/Run Metabolic Calculator based on these formulas.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Is it true that WALKING burns more fat than running? Someone on MFP had told me "walking" wasn't even a real form of cardio exercise and that i'd get no where with walking. I recently just bought a treadmill since I am a mom and busy after work, I was speed walking at 4.6 for the first week and started running at 5.7.

What is more effective? Have any of you lost weight while WAL

I walk at 3.4 mph which is fast for me. I can tell you it works for me.
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Running burns more calories and boosts your metabolism even after you are done.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    you will burn more cals running. walking will give you different results in your core if you work on it! for me, anyway, walking helped strengthen my core because I can focus more on sucking it in. in running, the focus is on moving my legs and breathing... depends on what you want to focus on.
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    I make no claims as to which is more effective, but I can say that my weight loss is from walking (& eating better, of course). I never run, but I love to walk and do it as often as possible.

^^^This. I can't run due to various issues, but walk quite a bit at a very fast clip. It has kept my weight at reasonable levels for 44 years.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that article but I didn't lose any fat or weight when I was walking everyday for an hour and a half. When I started running everyday, not only did I burn 4 times the calories in less than an hour and saved time, I also starting losing weight a lot faster!