Whoa.. what? WALKING burns more fat than running?

Options

Replies

• fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Go to everybodywalk.org. there is all kinds of info about this even an article under the tab of experts that explains why power walking burns more than running.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ...And of course, your fitness gains from running a programme like C25k would be massive, compared to getting out and walking and only walking, on a daily basis.

I haven't been sufficiently convinced that this is true. I am working at 75% to 90% of my HR over 30-45 minutes. That seems optimal to me. What would running intervals (and eventually steady state running, as I understand that's the goal of C25K programs) do to improve that?

I think we essentially agree on the answer to the OP's question. Steady state running burns more calories minute for minute than steady state walking. I just don't want someone reading these posts and others like them to believe that they have to run to get optimal results.

My assertion that running is overrated is a reaction to the common assumption that it is the only way to achieve optimal cardio results. I don't believe that's true.

ETA: I don't think the injury issue is a red herring at all. If I can get the same or similar benefits from a HIIT walking program (I believe I can) and the risk of injury is lessened, why would that not be relevant?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I was walking a lot my first part of this journey. By a lot, I mean 3 hours daily, burning over 1000 calories via my HRM. Eventually I needed to be doing more. I have recently started running and I am really feeling like it is re-shaping my body. I liked to walk and I lost a lot of inches walking at first but then my progress stalled. I think it is a good starting point but it all depends what you want. I myself am a goal oriented person and once I master one thing I need to start on something else. It is good to get your body moving. I took the 10,000 steps very seriously for the first 3 months of my journey. My goal now is to get the fat off and then work on the muscles as soon as it is gone. I think walking and running are good on different levels but in the end it is all about what you can do for the rest of your life. If you enjoy it, and you are losing weight, how can anyone fault that.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight walking. Now, I have some major hills in my neighborhood, which really make me work hard (and once I walk down the other side, there is no way to get home but to climb back up). Now I almost hit a jog sometimes, but my knees will not allow me to run. As they say, what counts is whatever exercise you will do regularly, so do what you enjoy and do it often.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

ETA: I don't think the injury issue is a red herring at all. If I can get the same or similar benefits from a HIIT walking program (I believe I can) and the risk of injury is lessened, why would that not be relevant?

It's a red herring in the sense that it can be minimised with caution and proper training routines. Most running injuries are caused by going to hard, too fast, too soon. I thought I'd explained that already so apologies if it wasn't sufficiently clear the first time round.

As to the cardio and calorie burn benefits.... well, you may remain to be convinced, but perhaps because you don't wish to be convinced, rather than because of a lack of evidence? The evidence has, after all, been repeatedly presented in this thread....

By all means, go ahead and continue to walk, if it makes you happy, if it feels good. That's absolutely great, and I'm genuinely very happy for you. However, all I ask, and the reason I keep returning to the thread, is that you don't diss a form of exercise you yourself haven't even *tried*, in celebrating the value of your own preferred exercise. I don't believe a claim that running is 'overrated' has yet been demonstrated in your posts.... Indeed, I return to my earlier point that it really is a bit of a silly claim, that can't really be sustained. Particularly not without answering those questions I asked first, which you have yet to reply to - overrated by whom, for what, and in what sense.... ?
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only cardio I do...me and my dog. I've lost 1lb per week for 8 weeks straight. Oh ya, walking works...intense walking, no strolling!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Go to everybodywalk.org. there is all kinds of info about this even an article under the tab of experts that explains why power walking burns more than running.

You mean this article: http://everybodywalk.org/read/theexperts/480-walking-vs-running.html?start=1

With all due respect you might want to learn how to read. The article about race walking does not imply this misinterpretation that you've made anywhere in the text. It does correctly assert that race walking will get your heart rate up higher than leisurely walking. (I've seen race walkers - i have no doubt that a fast race walker is expending an amount of energy similar to a slow runner)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MeeshKB
    Options
    As to the cardio and calorie burn benefits.... well, you may remain to be convinced, but perhaps because you don't wish to be convinced, rather than because of a lack of evidence? The evidence has, after all, been repeatedly presented in this thread....

I haven't seen anyone describe how I could improve on the intensity and duration I'm currently getting by learning to run. Can you point me to that? And I'm not being facetious here. I really am interested in finding the best, most efficient workout that I can realistically do. If doing C25K really would be beneficial, I am open to doing it. I actually initiated a post about my questions surrounding this last week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/585175-is-running-worth-it-at-this-point
    By all means, go ahead and continue to walk, if it makes you happy, if it feels good. That's absolutely great, and I'm genuinely very happy for you. However, all I ask, and the reason I keep returning to the thread, is that you don't diss a form of exercise you yourself haven't even *tried*, in celebrating the value of your own preferred exercise. I don't believe a claim that running is 'overrated' has yet been demonstrated in your posts.... Indeed, I return to my earlier point that it really is a bit of a silly claim, that can't really be sustained. Particularly not without answering those questions I asked first, which you have yet to reply to - overrated by whom, for what, and in what sense.... ?

I can't shake the feeling that we're arguing semantics now. I am not dissing running. Not at all. It is a fantastic activity which helps many people achieve and maintain high levels of fitness. I just don't believe it is the only way to get there. There are some who speak of running as if it is the only way, and in that sense I believe it is overrated. I'm not sure how else to explain my assertion. It's an opinion, really. Nothing more. And I think I've explained what led me to form that belief. You don't agree with it, and that's fine with me. I'm not trying to belittle or insult running or runners. I'm just saying it's not the be-all, end-all.

Also...to be fair, I have tried running. Not for all that long, granted (maybe 3 to 4 weeks of a LTR clinic at the most), but I think saying I've never tried it is a bit misleading.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    your term was 'overrated'. which is dismissive and negative.

i guess i am missing the point you're trying to make about interval walking as i do think it's a point that'd been repeatedly countered in this thread.

and with respect, no. if you stuck with it for just 3 weeks, you didn't really try running.
  • MeeshKB
    Options
    your term was 'overrated'. which is dismissive and negative.

I disagree about that. FWIW, I didn't intend to cause offense with that statement. I intended only to say that it's an activity that is often touted to be ideal, and I dont believe it is.
    i guess i am missing the point you're trying to make about interval walking as i do think it's a point that'd been repeatedly countered in this thread.

I honestly don't see a counter to this in this thread. I will read through again later, as I am sincerely interested in learning more.
    and with respect, no. if you stuck with it for just 3 weeks, you didn't really try running.

It was as much of a try as I was inclined to give it at the time. I respect that it wasn't enough time to get used to it or good at it. Point taken.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    walking helps with steady fatloss but running burns it quicker and makes you healthier.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Minute for minute, under the same topographical conditions, running is obviously going to burn more calories.

However in the real world, with people like myself who are trying to lose weight and aren't very fit, walking is probably going to be a better choice.

Why?

Amount I can run: About 5 minutes tops....on flat ground. Then I have to go have a good sit down and a cup of tea to recover
    Amount I can walk: about 6-7 miles in one go, over rough ground with some steep inclines

So walking is a far better calorie burner for me because I can actually sustain it for a period of time long enough to get some good calorie burn.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Amount I can run: About 5 minutes tops....on flat ground. Then I have to go have a good sit down and a cup of tea to recover
    Amount I can walk: about 6-7 miles in one go, over rough ground with some steep inclines

but in about six weeks you could change that by following a simple running programme....

eta. oh my god. just realised this is *that thread* come back from the dead....
  • Dave300982
    Dave300982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a 7.5 kmph run speed on treadmill ..1 min flat the 1 min massive incline. works for me my fitness has gone through the roof.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

but in about six weeks you could change that by following a simple running programme....
    totally agree if you can walk 6 or 7 miles at reasonable pace you can run. You just need to put some effort and commitment in and get your body used to the different stresses that running puts on it. In a few weeks you could easily be running it comes down to if you want to or not
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Percentage-wise you burn more FAT walking - but you still burn more fat overall running. 60% of 100 calories is still less than 40% of 200 calories. (60<80)

^^THIS

If you can run, you should run.

I can't agree with this.

People talk like walking/hiking is some kind of inferior form of running. That's just bullsh!t.

If you enjoy walking. Walk.

If you want to run. Run.

Weight loss will come from being in a calorie deficit. Persuading your body to make more of that weight loss fat tissue is down to a) being in a sensible deficit b) some progressive overload training for the muscles.

Again, walking isn't "running-lite" it's its own activity, in it's own right. And a damn fine activity it is too.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Percentage-wise you burn more FAT walking - but you still burn more fat overall running. 60% of 100 calories is still less than 40% of 200 calories. (60<80)

^^THIS

I can't agree with this.

People talk like walking/hiking is some kind of inferior form of running. That's just bullsh!t.

If you want to run. Run.

Weight loss will come from being in a calorie deficit. Persuading your body to make more of that weight loss fat tissue is down to a) being in a sensible deficit b) some progressive overload training for the muscles.

Again, walking isn't "running-lite" it's its own activity, in it's own right. And a damn fine activity it is too.

+ 1

Walking is a perfect weight loss/fitness exersise & if you enjoy it then no need to run unless you want to. I don't see running as the next step to my walking I just walk further simply because it's kind to my knees & I enjoy it no need for me to run.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my right knee so I can't run

before I bang on about the benefits of walking I just want to remind that weight loss is achieved 80% in the kitchen & 20% through exercise so I'm not going to claim that my weight loss is a result of my walking, it's just a part of it

my belief, is that whether you walk, jog or sprint one mile you'll burn 100 calories roughly, runners will cover 3 miles in under half an hour, it'll take us walkers closer to an hour but the burn will be the same

I'm a believer in interval training & so include steep hills in my walks

in conclusion, to any newbies reading this thread; I've walked every day since 4th January this year, no running, & weighed & logged all my intake & I'm 40lb lighter than I was this time last year, that's proof that the 'eat a little less, exercise a little more' mantra works just fine, keep it simple :)
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options

^^THIS

I can't agree with this.

If you want to run. Run.

Beautifully put. Walking is amazing exercise and the thing is this, the best exercise is the one you'll stick with. Walking is the main way humans have maintained fitness since the dawn of upright movement. Silly to dismiss it.