Starvation Mode

Options

Replies

• Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    19596135.jpg
    not everyone follows the eat more to lose more religion.

It's not a religion, it's tried, tested and true science. Many of the non-believers who have attempted it have seen incredible results and better yet those results are long lasting vs crash dieting.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Not that I believe anorexia and "starvation mode" (metabolic slow down) are the same thing, but people keep using anorexics as proof that it's OK to eat VLCD....This is just a reminder, people die of anorexia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094031/Dr-Melanie-Spooner-inquest-Childrens-doctor-tortured-anorexia-died-3st-11lb.html
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    starvation mode for me its a huge myth.... Ok, lets accept the fact that eating 500 calories everyday would be dangerous for your body, cause you are not getting enough nutrients/protein/vitamins/calcium etc...
    But no way you would enter a starvation mode, or, explain anorexia to me, those girls barely eat 500 cal a day, and they keep losing weight.
    I normally eat 900-1100 a day (ive never gone over my daily 1200), and look, 37 lbs less!.. And Im never hungry, i feel satified with what I eat, nothing in this world would change my mind about it. Maybe if i was eating the 900-1100 and i was with the 200 lbs i had before, i would believe it, but not when im a few pounds away from the 150s.

So again , that starvation mode is BS for me.. IMO

Really? Does it need to be explained AGAIN?

I'm declaring a pandemic of deliberate misapprehension of the term "Starvation Mode."
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    starvation mode for me its a huge myth.... Ok, lets accept the fact that eating 500 calories everyday would be dangerous for your body, cause you are not getting enough nutrients/protein/vitamins/calcium etc...
    But no way you would enter a starvation mode, or, explain anorexia to me, those girls barely eat 500 cal a day, and they keep losing weight.
    I normally eat 900-1100 a day (ive never gone over my daily 1200), and look, 37 lbs less!.. And Im never hungry, i feel satified with what I eat, nothing in this world would change my mind about it. Maybe if i was eating the 900-1100 and i was with the 200 lbs i had before, i would believe it, but not when im a few pounds away from the 150s.

wow, this is just sad. anorexia is much more complicated than that actually. I've lived it, overcome it, and I'm stronger now than ever but you have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

wow, this is just sad. anorexia is much more complicated than that actually. I've lived it, overcome it, and I'm stronger now than ever but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I thought this was going to stay a me vs everyone struggle, thanks Love! :)
  • blondejester
    Options
    I have lost 30 pounds in about 4 months eating less than 1,200 a day normally (not on purpose) Sometimes I go over and sometimes I'm under and this is counting working out. Last week I weighed myself and I had actually gained weight. I don't know if it's because of the fact that I'm eating so little or because of other problems (girl issues if you catch my drift) but it's not like I try to eat that low amount. I eat 3 good sized meals and 1-2 snacks. I don't think it's a myth that you will hit a plateau/go into starvation mode/etc. I would just recommend not trying to eat under 1,200. I have just started trying to eat more and exercise more so we'll see how that turns out in a week or two.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I'm declaring a pandemic of deliberate misapprehension of the term "Starvation Mode."

first, I NEVER SAID anorexic was healthy, yes people die from that I know it and Im really aware of it.
    second, if people die from anorexia then that proves my post, if starvation mode was real, no anorexic people would die, why?, cause they would stop losing weight as soon as they started eating less than 900 cal. The word anorexia wouldnt even exist.
    thirt, im not starving myself, eating 1000 cal a day, for me is enough and I feel full. If I eat more than that I feel bloated.
    fourth, maybe for me eating 1000 works, maybe for you dont, to each their own, every body is different.

So stop judging people that dont believe in that myth. Ive lost 37 lbs eating 1000 calories everyday, and u are not gonna change my mind nor make me eat more just cause you say so. Period..

have a nice day!
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    So any suggestions on making sure you get at least 1200 calories? I am having trouble eating the calories I need. I fell like I'm eating all day long now that I'm dieting LOL

Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Chicken Breast, Fish, Shrimp, Almonds etc...
    avocados, cheese in general yogurt in general, any nut...
  • Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    Say what you like about the term starvation mode but here are the facts:

Your body has a basic metabolic rate (BMR) - this is the number of calories your body/organs need to function each day if you were just to lie in bed all day. This number for most people is around 1,200 calories.

You have a TDEE rate - this is your total daily expendature rate. So basically this is your BMR above, plus whatever you burn daily either just by getting out of bed right up to any exercise. For most women their TDEE, before exercise, is 1,800-2,000.

If your body gets less then it's BMR then it starts to burn further stores. This is obvious and yes of course you will lose wieght. BUT the body knows it is not getting enough to function normally and so the metabolism gets messed up as it's learning to cope with less calories (ie. what it would be like if it had limited access to food, and this is why people call it starvation mode).

Now the danger with eating less than your BRM is that because the body is trying to cope and survive, once you re-increase your calories the body will go though a "hoarding" phase as it will try to re-store it's extra supplies in case it goes back into "Starvation mode" again. So weight regain occurs more often than not. This too though will re-normalise as the body learns that the food will not be taken away again and that it can live off 1,200.

Once it gets comfortable again with 1,200 it will start to recognise 1,200 as it's basic BMR again and will lose at that rate because it knows it is less than your TDEE.

In short - eating 1,200 calories causes a deficit and you lose weight, but it maintains your BMR and metabolic slow down takes a long time to set in.

Eating less than your BRM creates a bigger deficit and you will lose weight but you are much more likely to regain that back once you re-increase your calories once you hit your goal and want to stabilise. And of course, at some point you have to begin to eat a TDEE again otherwise you have an eating disorder. Reaching a goal and staying there is the goal for us! Not wasting into nothing and damaging organs etc.

I hope this clears things up a little.

Starvation mode is a bit of a scare terms but it's badly used as a blanket term to explain what I just wrote.

Also remember the figures above are you NET calories. If you eat 1,200 and burn 400 exercising you've only given the body 800 to work with. You need to eat back those 400.
  • PayShi
    PayShi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree :) But there are a lot of conflicting articles out there online...I just needed some type of clairity! Thanks :)

I'll share my personal experience, the site was recommending 1700 calories a day for me to lose 1lb a week, I tried it and at first it worked but then I started getting tired, sick , it just wasn't working.

I then went to see a dietitian and had my metabolism tested professionally and discovered I at the time it was 2299 calories BMR, I was under eating by a massive amount, yes weight was dropping but I wasn't healthy. Now I eat between 2800-3000 a day and I have lost 20 lbs, gained muscle mass and dropped 4% body fat.

This may not have been starvation mode per say, but metabolic slow down does indeed exist and if people chose to ignore it that's their choice but to denounce it outright is dangerous in my opinion.

FYI : Metabolic Starvation does not = Tummy Grumbling

Wow. I'm happy to hear this. I'm eating about 500 calories below my BMR so this does worry me. I'll be finding me a dietitian very soon. I see just how important this is.
  • bfairlamb
    bfairlamb Posts: 31
    Options
    LMFAOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

19596135.jpg
    Options

first, I NEVER SAID anorexic was healthy, yes people die from that I know it and Im really aware of it.
    second, if people die from anorexia then that proves my post, if starvation mode was real, no anorexic people would die, why?, cause they would stop losing weight as soon as they started eating less than 900 cal. The word anorexia wouldnt even exist.
    thirt, im not starving myself, eating 1000 cal a day, for me is enough and I feel full. If I eat more than that I feel bloated.
    fourth, maybe for me eating 1000 works, maybe for you dont, to each their own, every body is different.

So stop judging people that dont believe in that myth. Ive lost 37 lbs eating 1000 calories everyday, and u are not gonna change my mind nor make me eat more just cause you say so. Period..

have a nice day!

I cannot wait to see you in 1, 2, 3 or 6 months from now crying because you can't have a slice of pizza or normal meals at all for that matter without gaining an instant 5 pounds---people like you deserve to be in the 95% who regain ALL the weight back and usually more. In the face of the information regarding metabolism and healthy weight loss, that the unfortunate regainers lack, you stick to an unhealthy and unsustainable way of doing things. It's completely absurd.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    First off. "Starvation Mode" doesn't happen overnight. It takes weeks of under eating for it to really affect you. If you are eating under you calorie goal needed for just sustaining, you will most likely gain the weight right back. Sure if you are eating less calories you are going to loose weight, but your body requires a certain amount to just sustain, even if you just lay in bed all day, but this isn't healthy. As soon as you eat any extra your body will hold on to it in fear that you won't feed it again. Make sure you are getting at least your BMR in calories for a HEALTHY long term weight loss.
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore the "starvation mode" warning and consider more the warning of not getting proper nutrition. I use my food diary to track everything, because it's a relatively easy place to do so with everything calculated for you, and it helps me look at what I'm eating with a critical eye. This allows me to figure out if I'm getting my nutrition or if I'm eating mostly junk that's going to end up making me sick/malnourished or hinder my weight loss.
  • PayShi
    PayShi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, if lets say you eat 1,200 calories you will plateau eventually. Due to your metabolism slowing down. What is the next step to continue on weight loss? Eating 1000 calories or 800?

This is why gastric bypass works... they're eating SO FEW CALORIES that they lose weight very quickly. but eventually it stalls out... I never seen someone lean and ripped eating that low calories, just skinny fat people. If you want a strong healthy body, you have to eat. If you just want weight loss, i guess low calorie is an option. You will stall out, i'll promise you that, and you will have to reduce them more.

You're completely right about this. My mother had gastric bypass in 2003. She started out at almost 500 lbs, 6'0. Now, she's around 230 and has remained around that weight eating lightly since her surgery for years. So, as you've stated. It DOES stall out.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you research the starvation mode theory, when they tested it people's metabolism slowed when they were at about 5% body fat and had been on extremely low calorie diets for quite a while. Even then they still lost weight just at a slightly slower (about 10% slower than before) rate.

If the starvation mode thing were really a huge problem, anorexics would never lose weight and people wouldn't die of starvation.

I think that the starvation mode is a scare tactic to discourage people from taking extreme methods to losing weight like starving themselves...
    Options
    If you research the starvation mode theory, when they tested it people's metabolism slowed when they were at about 5% body fat and had been on extremely low calorie diets for quite a while. Even then they still lost weight just at a slightly slower (about 10%) rate.

If the starvation mode thing were really a huge problem, anorexics would never lose weight and people wouldn't die of starvation.

I think that the starvation mode is a scare tactic to discourage people from taking extreme methods to losing weight like starving themselves...

okay--well starve yourself, lose all of your muscle mass, reduce your metabolic rate, and then wind up skinny fat and unhappy--struggling to lose even more because your body still isn't even close to being where you want it to be despite having lost WEIGHT(mostly muscle).
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    19596135.jpg

nxkih3.jpg.gif
  • empath20
    empath20 Posts: 10
    Options
    I save my higher calorie treats for whenever I'm low on calories. If you like pistachios, they're perfect. Just a few will bump, up the calories a lot.

P.S. The starvation mode thing is not a scare tactic. I was anorexic for a long time and would have died as did a friend of mine. The research (you know- the actual, peer reviewed, scholarly journal type; not the online "he said/she said" type) shows that losing weight that way leads to a variety of metabolic changes (as well as brain changes) and you'll have to exercise twice as much to get the same benefits as people with normal, healthy metabolism. Trust me, you don't want to go down that road no matter what others may tell themselves (and, invariably, others) about it. There is no conspiracy and there actually is no controversy, either... not among people who actually know how to find/interpret scholarly research rather than wishful thinking and/or pseudoscience). The effects of starvation mode are well known. Of course, you'll die from starvation, nobody said that "starvation mode" = you never have to eat again... how ridiculous! If I run my car without the proper fluids, it will break and cost a lot to fix... does that mean that it will instantly explode within the first 5 minutes a fluid is low? And, if it doesn't, does that mean that I can actually ignore the fluids forever because "they" are lying to me about that? LOL!

If you want to lose weight, 2 pounds a week is the fastest healthy rate and, usually, for women that means 1200 calories/day. Believe me, I know how to drop weight fast in a variety of unhealthy ways... but, you will find me happily eating the pistachios or whatever to make up the difference to get the 1200 calories and I've been steadily losing 2 lb/week with lots of energy and no particular difference in my level of exercise (though I will improve that over the summer due to cardiovascular problems and osteopenia).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

have a nice day!

Anorexic people do neither prove nor disprove healthy or overweight people slowing down their metabolism due to a VLCD. That is overly simplistic and shows a rudimentary miscomprehension of metabolism. In words you can understand, you're wrong.