Ladies--PMS ever sabotaged your diet?

Options
I don't know about anyone else, but extreme sugar cravings hit me every time. I always blow my diet for a few days, then once my period starts I'm back to normal.

It's kind of discouraging to see an entire week worth of work gone to waste because of lovely mother nature.
Any hints/ suggestions on how to beat my cravings? Or should I just cave and call it a carb-refeed :tongue:

Replies

• misswhitneyyy
    Options
    Ah, while I have no personal anecdotes that have worked for me, I just wanted to say that if it happens, don't beat yourself up about it too badly. I, too, fall prey to extreme PMS binging. Like, nothing ever satisfies type of cravings. Sometimes I don't even realize that it's PMS until my period actually comes and then it all makes sense.

Try increasing your water intake and eating extreme high-fiber, filling foods instead of reaching for sugared stuff. Try to avoid them around your house or just don't have them around at all.
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had the same problem, but I tried to go and exercise anyway on my treatmill but it just made me feel more poo and I have 4657939656 times over what I should have.

I was craving carbs soooooo badly
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sabotaged my diet? No. made me eat too much for a day? sure.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not a diet.. No PMS has never sabotaged my diet.

I eat what I want.. when I want. If I want that extra sweet treat or w/e, then I make sure I have enough calories for it.. and if I don't, well then going over a day or two is not the end of the world.
  • nicolabellaa
    Options
    I don't feel like it sabotages ur diet- i personally get more hungry then usual and always want too eat haha but i try too stay in my calorie means and just workout more for those extra points
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    PMS is just an excuse to eat. YOU sabotaged your "diet".
  • SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    YES. This post is my life.

When I'm PMSing or on the first couple days of my period, I. Eat. Everything.

Literally...my mom took me out to dinner a couple weeks ago and this is what I ended up having: an entire bowl of cheese ravioli, bread with butter, half of my mom's pasta dish, and a huge brownie sundae with whipped cream, cherries, nuts, etc. And this was only DINNER.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don`t consider it sabotage its once a month for a couple days (which happens to be right now for me ugh) I went over 180cals tonight not a biggie its life going over alittle bit isn`t going to sabotage all the hard work I`ve put in this past year. IMO relax if your craving something have a single serving of it and be happy (well as happy as we can be this time of the month).
  • jld1675
    jld1675 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I'm not on a diet per se, just a healthier way of eating. Potato chips are my weakness, so to avoid the temptation, I don't buy them. It's a proven fact, PMS does cause carb cravings, it's not all in your head.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I tend to get really hungry during that time of the month. But I find cravings and the like are much more mind over matter. Once you learn to talk your body down, it's not that bad. I've also found a healthy exercise routine helps curb cravings too.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet so no it hasn't.

BUT - I'm gonna say the best thing that coulda happened last week was when I went into the drugstore to buy pads (and chocolate), I had a coupon for a free 200g bag of smarties (if you don't know what they are - they're like m&ms, they are only sold in Canada) well, they didn't accept my coupon that day so I had to wait till later in the week to get chocolate and by the time I did I wasn't craving it anymore. Just opened the bag tonight (my period is over) and limited myself to half a serving (15 pieces) otherwise they probably would have all been eaten by now. :P
  • averysmami
    averysmami Posts: 17
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    About 5 days before my period starts I crave sweet foods and greasy foods.
    Sometimes the desire to eat these types of things is so strong that it drives me crazy.
    I usually try to give in to the cravings just a little, so that I don't feel too much guilt BUT I do have days that I go overboard. It happens.
  • jld1675
    jld1675 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Obviously you've never had PMS....
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar during TOM and the scale will not budge and goes up a few pounds the days before. I can stay under calories, but I have the hardest time giving up the sugar. I figure once a month it isnt the end of the world to have a little more chocolate than normal :) It happens every month and I've kept about 80lbs off (20lbs before MFP) for a good few months now, so its not the end of the world to give in a tad to those cravings.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Dealing with it right now! lol! I want every piece of chocolate in sight! I usually have high fiber granola bars around that have a little bit of chocolate on them or yesterday I made a fruit and spinach smooth and mixed some chocolate in with it (if you do that it's better if you melt it first or use syrup of some kind- just a note!) but honestly I eat a little bit of chocolate every day. Usually just on a granola bar. Good for my sanity lol
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    absolutely!!!!
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    Of course. I don't let it stress me out though. It's just part of it for me. I just work harder the week after and I also try not to over do it with the snacking.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It has definitely ruined a day or two for me. I try not to let it get me, but just chalk it up as a bad day (or two) and move on.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    oh yes. it makes me a FIEND for chocolate and bread.
  • rustybeltbuckle
    Options
    yuuussssssssss. this is me for the last 3 days. and tomorrow is my weigh-in. lawd, help me.