Ladies--PMS ever sabotaged your diet?

Options

Replies

• AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can definitely tell every month when I'm getting lazy about my food. I try not to give in too much, because God knows the water weight gain is bad enough.... BUT... that being said, I also recognize a small treat won't kill me, and it might make me less homicidal :)
    For me, it's CARBS CARBS CARBS (or really, any sugars, but definitely CARBS!!!!) I want pasta and french fries and bread and cake and cookies.....
    I also want chocolate, but that's a given. :)

I don't beat myself up for it. Well, actually I do. I tend to workout harder during my PMS days because I feel like crap and want to kickbox the bejesus out of something. The endorphins help stave off the bad cramps, too.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    EVERY MONTH!
    It's the increase of estrogen.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    PMS is just an excuse to eat. YOU sabotaged your "diet".
    This!!
    It's difficult to have the willpower to fight the extreme cravings/extra hunger that some people get. I know the opinion that everyone has infinite willpower and just choose not to use it is really popular...but it's just not true. The worse the cravings are, the harder it's going to be to fight them. They're real and not just 'in your head'.
    Honestly, saying it's you who sabotaged your diet is as ridiculous as saying you CHOSE to have the hardcore cravings and hunger.

Edit: Because I wanted to mention that people also have varying levels of mental health, and those with mental illness have it even HARDER fighting cravings. For example, depression actively drains a person's 'willpower'.
  • AzhureSnow
    Options
    YES. This post is my life.

When I'm PMSing or on the first couple days of my period, I. Eat. Everything.

Literally...my mom took me out to dinner a couple weeks ago and this is what I ended up having: an entire bowl of cheese ravioli, bread with butter, half of my mom's pasta dish, and a huge brownie sundae with whipped cream, cherries, nuts, etc. And this was only DINNER.

This!
    After spending a year watching my portions and eliminating a lot of dairy fats... that much heavy, rich food just sounds like it would make me puke and have bad stomach cramps.
    omg. how'd you eat all that without being sick? It sounds so rich and yummy.... But still

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AzhureSnow
    Options
    Leave it to a man to chime in about PMS. *eye roll*
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Definitely.

I just still try to stay inside my calories and I don't worry about it.

Retaining water is the suckiest part of the whole thing.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ever since birth control I don't have the symptoms of PMS. No mood swings, no more breakouts, no more cramps and menses last exactly 3days.
    Yes, this is the only reason I'm on the pill--SO much easier to deal with.
  • AmberLovell
    Options
    I have found that the 90 calorie Fiber One Chocolate bars are great for those times! Drink a big glass of water then eat a fiber one bar. It'll give you that little bit of sweet you're craving and the water will help fill you up first and then you don't completely blow your diet. It's not a perfect plan and doesn't always work but is by far the best thing to try first cuz you may just end up curbing that sweet craving.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This!!
    It's difficult to have the willpower to fight the extreme cravings/extra hunger that some people get. I know the opinion that everyone has infinite willpower and just choose not to use it is really popular...but it's just not true. The worse the cravings are, the harder it's going to be to fight them. They're real and not just 'in your head'.
    Honestly, saying it's you who sabotaged your diet is as ridiculous as saying you CHOSE to have the hardcore cravings and hunger.

Edit: Because I wanted to mention that people also have varying levels of mental health, and those with mental illness have it even HARDER fighting cravings. For example, depression actively drains a person's 'willpower'.

Yes, it isn't a myth. Increased estrogen causes the increased appetite and once it lowers the "anorexia" effect happens. Many will know what I mean; once you start NO appetite.
  • sweetkat75
    sweetkat75 Posts: 29
    Options
    two things happen to me...intense carb cravings (especially chocolate) and loss of inhibition when it comes to money. I have a chocolate and money hangover once my period starts.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Yes - I mostly crave fried/salty foods. I know, huh. Most of the time I feel so sick I can barely stomach eating, but when I do, it's $#!tty. :] Ahh, oh well. Bread and butter are my BFF's for that week. And cupcakes! <3
  • Sammijo24
    Sammijo24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness this happens to me all the time. I will have crazy cravings for about two days and devour everything chocolate and salty thats around. But then I will start and realize why my eating habits have been weird and I'll make myself go back to eating normal. Cause I'm not going to let it control me but I usually always allow myself to give in the first few days.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was just dealing with these major sweet/salty cravings last week and I swear I ate three oranges a day (four one day) on top of my meals and THAT was me controlling my cravings with every bit of willpower i had left !
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I used to binge eat like crazy for a few days at that time! I'm pretty us I could outdo a whole month of great habits in a few days :( I'm not going to go into detail but it was gross... Exercise has really helped, and so has eating more small meals throughout the day during that time. I still get cravings, but they seem to be much better now.

I have never used anything as an excuse not to eat right because I love eating right and it is not a chore for me. But I can get some pretty specific cravings! And when I'm a hormonal hot mess there is nothing that can calm that craving for a little Debbie cherry cordial than a little Debbie cherry cordial, or twelve.

Your hormones and emotional state significantly play a role in "willpower". Don't beat yourself up if you slip. Just try the best you can to moderate your actions and immediately get back on track when everything starts to level out again.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options

You have a penis. You are not allowed to post in this thread. Your opinion is completely and totally irrelevant.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    I know that PMS is not just an excuse to eat, I don't actually track my monthly like most women do so literally the first thing that lets me know it is coming is the insatiable hunger I feel. It's not just a "Well, I'm on my monthly so I have an excuse to be a pig" type of thing.

Haha same with me. When I start wanting to eat everything in sight I know that B is right around the corner!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does... Every freaking time.

In my case (and this may not be for everyone), I've learned that it's best to just give in to the cravings. A few weeks ago, I tried to resist a period craving... Well, I resisted the craving, but ended up binging on just about everything else instead. I ate easily 3 times more calories than the item I was craving. So next time, if I'm on my period and I want a cookie, I will eat the damn cookie :angry:

Again, that's just me personally...
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

You have a penis. You are not allowed to post in this thread. Your opinion is completely and totally irrelevant.

You are my hero :flowerforyou:
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Progesterone cream, vitamin A and vitamin b6 ended PMS for me. Diet and exercise probably helped a lot too.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

I'd agree except for the cissexism. Some women have a penis, and if they have the same PMS-y hormones, can experience the same cravings.