Any Wonen Motorcyle rider out here

Options
Hi Everyone,

It is that season and just wanted to chat and see how many of women ride a Motorcycle. Would love to chat about it.

Replies

• Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Me, me...
    I have a 2003 kawasaki Vulcan classic 800, fully customized! You?
  • tmkahre
    tmkahre Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a 2003 (Anniversary Edition) Sportster! My hubby has 3 more motorcycles. Our garage is full!
  • TinaTurtlez
    TinaTurtlez Posts: 86
    Options
    Yes!!! My husband and I just went for a nice ride tonight. Love it! Just got my first bike this year, but have ad my license for quite sometime. Please feel free to add me. I love riding! :smile:
  • ShadowriderNH
    Options
    Nice Ladies,

I got my licence last September. Hubby has had his for a few years. He got a bigger bike 2 years ago so I could ride on the back.

I hated it...and we dumped the bike in the driveway......

So that summer I decided to try and learn...I was ok in 1st gear but was freaking about second gear and only going around in cirlces here.

Met this girl who rides last summer and she motivated me so I did finally....Last septmeber.

I have a 2003 Honda Shawdow 600. This year I am really enjoying riding....But the weather has been crappy. Rain all last week. We got a ride in sunday and then monday night but rain again till sunday.

Mother nature needs to learn this is riding season......

We are taking a trip to Niagra falls next months and taking our bikes. I will be a pro by the time we get back.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used to ride when I was younger. My bike broke and didn't have enough to fix it. I wish I had one. I miss riding.
  • kickboxer77
    kickboxer77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started riding last year. I have a Marauder 250. I am very petit so starting small. Plan to upgrade to a Harley Sportser next summer. Hopefully it will warm up more so I can get out for a ride, have not been out yet this year.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Been riding for about 6 years now. Just learned and got my license when I was about 55. Took my first header off it last August and just got back on it a few days ago. I ride a 2007 Yamaha 650 V-Star. Had it custom painted last year from Red to White & Green.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ooo can I add you all as friends!!!!!

I have had my licence since 1994 and I ride a Yamaha FZ1 Fazer which in my humble opinion is the bestest bike I have ever had I lurve it :heart:

I also run a motorcycle training school so I am with bikes all day every day :love: I love all the racing Moto GP, World Superbikes and British Superbikes, we also watch the AMA series when its on over here....

I do have a life outside of bikes sometimes :laugh:
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im going thru the driving course the end of june. Any pointers lol. Im 53 years old and Im going to let my hair down. Im nerveous of course but Im hoping the course will help with that. MY son just gave me a Yamaha burnt orange nice bike so Im going to give it a shot. He is taking out this weekend to practice. I think the clutch is going to be my downfall.
  • greeneyes191
    Options
    Im going thru the driving course the end of june. Any pointers lol. Im 53 years old and Im going to let my hair down. Im nerveous of course but Im hoping the course will help with that. MY son just gave me a Yamaha burnt orange nice bike so Im going to give it a shot. He is taking out this weekend to practice. I think the clutch is going to be my downfall.

You will be fine. I learned at 55. My first mistake was not to go ahead and get a practice bike while I was taking the class. Find a nice big empty parking lot (like a school on the weekends) and just practice your butt off. The biggest issue is just getting used to where everything is (clutch, brake, throttle). Just take your time and make sure you wear protective clothing and a helmet while you practice.
  • greeneyes191
    Options

You will be fine. I learned at 55. My first mistake was not to go ahead and get a practice bike while I was taking the class. Find a nice big empty parking lot (like a school on the weekends) and just practice your butt off. The biggest issue is just getting used to where everything is (clutch, brake, throttle). Just take your time and make sure you wear protective clothing and a helmet while you practice.

Oh, and don't forget - alway look where you are GOING not where you are. It will help tremendously in turns.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    Remember that a bike clutch is not the same as a car clutch. Bike clutches are usually wet (unless its a Ducati) which means you can slip them.

Imagine the clutch has 5 positions. Position 1 is when its back to the bar, position 5 is when its fully engaged. Slowly, millimetres at a time, release the clutch until you feel the bike want to start to move. Then hold the clutch still. This is position 3 and the engine revs will drop. SQUEEZE the throttle until the engine becomes busy then release the clutch slowly again to 3 1/2 then hold the clutch still again and it should trundle forwards.

Always hold onto to the clutch when moving slowly and let it slip.... Remember the clutch is your friend and will stop you if the bike starts to run away with you pull it back to the bar. The slower the bike goes, the more gentle you need to be with the controls...

Never use the front brake in a bend or corner please.... I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options

Oh, and don't forget - alway look where you are GOING not where you are. It will help tremendously in turns.

Yes remember the head (with a safety lid on) is heavy and the bike will go where you look. If you look down you'll over balance....

Also your hand position on the throttle and brakes are important. Keep the flat of your hand level with the levers, you only then need to squeeze the controls not drop your wrist. Keep relaxed and breathe!! Sit forward on the seat and keep poised... If the bike feels like its running away with you pull the clutch back to position 1.. Dont worry if it makes a lot of noise...
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have a Honda Shadow Aero, and have had my license for about 6 years. That said, riding my own makes me almost panic-level nervous, so I much prefer to be on the back of my hubby's bike. Hubby has been riding my bike during the colder months (its tires handle cold better than his Harley's tires do), and even he admitted that on turns, my bike is wobbly and scary. He had the tires changed last month during maintenance, and reports that the bike is MUCH better now. I haven't had the mental/emotional energy to get back on it, though. :(

I think all of the fear stems from the first motorcycle class that I took - the instructors scared me to pieces, and I ended up quitting the class on the last day. A few years went by and I took another class - that one was much better and I passed with flying colors...but unfortunately, the psychological damage was already done. Sigh. I'm hoping this summer I'll give those new tires a try and find that I really do enjoy riding my own after all. :)
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you Whisper I appreciate the advice I will need all I can get. This is another reason Im going to lose this weight :smile:
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We ride every chance we get....trying to see the USA on our goldwing! FUN, FUN, FUN also have a suzuki intruder for short rides.
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I have been riding since 1972 - I learned in Alaska, first dirt/mountain bikes and then crossover bikes. didn't ride for awhile during children raising time, started again about 10 years ago, I'm almost 60 now. I have an 805 Suzuki Boulevard touring bike. We love it and take long trips on it. A couple of years ago we road across country to Vegas (we are in FL), up into Colorado and then home. A little over 5000 miles.

Love to ride - living in FL sure is a bonus for that! You can ride not matter what age - just be careful out there
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    02 dyna wide glide, love it, love it!!!!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well now, I ride an HD triglide, before you say, oh crap that ain't a motorcycle an designer and vp at HD told me to tell anyone who said that the view is the same so who cares, lol. It's not a racing bike and I'm not 20, :smooched:
  • greeneyes191
    Options
    I have a Honda Shadow Aero, and have had my license for about 6 years. That said, riding my own makes me almost panic-level nervous, so I much prefer to be on the back of my hubby's bike. Hubby has been riding my bike during the colder months (its tires handle cold better than his Harley's tires do), and even he admitted that on turns, my bike is wobbly and scary. He had the tires changed last month during maintenance, and reports that the bike is MUCH better now. I haven't had the mental/emotional energy to get back on it, though. :(

I think all of the fear stems from the first motorcycle class that I took - the instructors scared me to pieces, and I ended up quitting the class on the last day. A few years went by and I took another class - that one was much better and I passed with flying colors...but unfortunately, the psychological damage was already done. Sigh. I'm hoping this summer I'll give those new tires a try and find that I really do enjoy riding my own after all. :)

I would give you the same advice - find a nice big empty parking lot and ride your butt off. Just take it slow, ride back and forth. Practice turning. Just remember to point your vision where you want to go and your bike will naturally follow. After all, when you drive your car you look ahead, not down at the pavement right in front of you.