Any Wonen Motorcyle rider out here

Options

Replies

• tabngillysmom
    tabngillysmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first bike a couple of weeks ago! I have ridden for more than 20 years on the back and guess I am having a mid life crisis and wanted my own. I ride a 2012 BMW F650GS. My husband has a 1997 BMW R850R and we love to ride.

I am with several of you on the fact that I am really nervous about riding on my own. I kicked butt at the MSF safety class two weekends ago on the little Yamaha 250, but the bigger bike does make me nervous. Just now really getting a feel for it and haven't ridden anywhere but parking lots and little side roads with very little traffic.

I look forward to getting in some riding time really soon! Feel free to add me!

Melissa

14154011.png

Hey Melissa, Firstly congrats on getting your licence, you sound as fresh as me! Got mine a month ago and had the yamaha 250 for 2 weeks! Gaining confidence will come with riding more frequently. Bike riding is a skill that can dimish quickly without use, so keep doing what you're doing with riding local firstly and take it steps at a time like night riding and riding in the rain. Your confidence will most certainly grow along with your love for riding! Cheers matey. Louisa (LooseWheel)

Thanks Louisa! I loved the Yamaha 250 that I used during my 20 hour safety course it handled great and wasn't intimidating! I know that you are enjoying yours. I live in Kentucky where, with the right gear, you can ride all but a couple of months (not keen on riding on ice or snow). Hubby and I are planning a trip to the 2012 BMW Motorcycle Rally in Sedalia, MO which is about a 7 hour ride from here. We'll see if I am ready for that by the middle of July!! HaHa

Melissa

14154011.png
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yay we have a group :drinker:

My last bike before my amazing FZ1 Fazer was a FZ6 Fazer, then a XB12 Lightning (Buell) I had a old XJ650 which needed an appointment to stop, a VT500E and a 535 Virago

Last year I spent most of the year commuting but we did go to the Peak Distric in Derbyshire then into Wales on the bikes, we went to several race meetings....

I'm trying to get the nerve to do a track day this year but I dont know....
  • tabngillysmom
    Options
    I'm fixin to take a riding course in the summer. I've been riding on the back of my hubby's for last 7 years. We've talked on and off for the last couple years of me getting my own. I'm really nervous because 3 years ago he was in an accident and spent 4 months using a wheelchair and a walker, but think it would be really cool to have my own. He's been showing me some stuff and says he will take me to big parking lots to practice, so I think I will be fine, it's just a huge step for me. :smile:

Not sure which course you are looking into but I can't say enough good things about the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Courses. They are very thorough with their class time and we actually spent about 9 hours on the bikes over the 3 day course. I found it easier and less intimidating to be in a class with others who had limited riding knowledge. I didn't feel so silly asking some of my questions! Good Luck!

Melissa

14154011.png
  • tabngillysmom
    Options
    kpleet, I hear you on the weight thing.
    I don't even have a helmet yet - and hubby's 650 just isn't built for 2
    I've got a pair of riding pants i wanna fit into, and gotta get another mesh jacket.
    I'll never ride unarmored...

So glad to see I am not the only one that rides in full gear all the time. I value my head and body too much to not protect it!

Melissa

14154011.png
  • tabngillysmom
    Options
    hdsgirl, i can TOTALLY understand the fear.
    even when i'm in my vehicle, i get nervous where i wrecked
    met a minivan head on in a blind curve - before sunrise
    my choice at that split second was hit her head on, or try to get around her
    i chose the latter and ended up head first in the ditch
    got a life flight to uk med center - most frightening time of my life...
    fear is there - but you can't allow it to control you
    trust your instinct-you can't go wrong

Glad to see another Kentucky girl! I was up your way a couple of weeks ago for my girls' state tumbling competition in Morehead!

Melissa

14154011.png
  • mdmomof4
    mdmomof4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im taking the class at a Harley Dealership. Im taking the class that is all Females and to be honest the only reason Im taking that class is beccasue of my weight, otherwise I wouldn't care of the gender. Sounds dumb huh?
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I took the motorcycle course last year in April and have my licence. I ride a 2010 Yamaha V-Star 650. My hubby has a 2007 Yamaha Roadliner as well as a 2009 Honda ST1300. He's been riding for years and as much as I love to ride on the back I decided to get one of my own. Nothing beats riding in the open air, with the warm sun on your face, the wind, oh my goodness. So glad to see so many female riders on here. There are so many getting into riding and its lovely to see.
  • carrollel
    carrollel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i LOVE how many responses this got!!

I used to have a 2009 Kawasaki ZX6R Supersport but it was STOLEN! those *kitten* literally rode it like they stole it :(
  • Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do!! I ride a Yamaha FZ1! I LOVE my bike :)
  • ZanneB
    ZanneB Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I ride a Suzuki S40 (650cc cruiser). It's a 2007 which I bought at the beginning of 2008 when I got my license. Short Canadian summers combined with a lot of out-of-town work has limited how many kms I put on the bike every year. Hopefully this year will be better!
  • carrollel
    Options
    how do you add pictures??
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My husband drives it, but we enjoy going on cross-country tours.

One thing I struggle with is not gaining wt. We'll be going on a short one some time soon, and I'm gathering all the ideas I can. So, if you've discovered a way to do it, please share!
  • smiles4deb
    smiles4deb Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm fixin to take a riding course in the summer. I've been riding on the back of my hubby's for last 7 years. We've talked on and off for the last couple years of me getting my own. I'm really nervous because 3 years ago he was in an accident and spent 4 months using a wheelchair and a walker, but think it would be really cool to have my own. He's been showing me some stuff and says he will take me to big parking lots to practice, so I think I will be fine, it's just a huge step for me. :smile:

Not sure which course you are looking into but I can't say enough good things about the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Courses. They are very thorough with their class time and we actually spent about 9 hours on the bikes over the 3 day course. I found it easier and less intimidating to be in a class with others who had limited riding knowledge. I didn't feel so silly asking some of my questions! Good Luck!

Melissa

14154011.png

Thanks! We've been looking into the courses at the Harley dealerships around here. One of them is all women that I might feel more comfortable in...
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use Photobucket. You can get the picture codes there and paste it in here. The IMG code is the one you need. But you have to change the IMG at the beginning and end of the code to lowercase img.
    how do you add pictures??
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Motorcycle Lover Here! Actually, I am a junkie for anything on two wheels.

I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 Supermoto - street bike
    Honda CRF450X Supermoto - track bike
    Honda CRF250X - dirt bike
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I've been riding a Yamaha Virago 250 for a year. You gals should check out the TwoWheelFemale forums, my SN over there is Chem Chick. Lots of female riders from beginner to experienced, great for advice and finding riding buddies :)
  • carrollel
    Options
    IMG00031.jpg

ugh how to resize??....(and the beer was my fiance's who is taking the picture btw)
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just sold my Honda CBR 600RR in March :sad:
    I did because I am in college, I did not even ride last year at all. Working full time too, so I have no spare time, after I graduate and plan my wedding, get married. I might be buying a new one! I just figured why let it sit around when I cannot ride for the next 1 1/2 yrs. when I could get some money to put a down payment on a new car :happy:

I was sad to see it go, but know I could always get another.
    My fiance is selling his for now too because he hasnt rode much and he is having fun playing w/his Chevelle!
  • yamagirl19
    yamagirl19 Posts: 17
    Options
    I ride a Honda CBR 600 and own a Vulcan 750, although the Vulcan isn't running right now. I just returned from a trip to Mobile, AL and plan to take a trip to Gatlinburg, TN in two weeks to ride the Tail of the Dragon.

Fantasic. I am off to Tennessee in August yet again. I am down there every year to ride through the smokies and do the tail of the dragon. Deals Gap is my favourite and I want to live in Pigeon Forge. :wink:
  • yamagirl19
    yamagirl19 Posts: 17
    Options
    We should make this into a group!! :drinker:

GREAT IDEA