I LOVE Margaritas and they don't go with DIETS! UGH!

Options

Replies

• Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/skinny-margarita-358803

it is okay to indulge every once awhile though, too.

these are fabulous!
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Didn't Bethenney invent Skinny Margherita?
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Bump

When asked what my favorite food is, I reply "margarita". LOL
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey girl - I make them with tequila, fresh lime juice and Splenda only - no mix. It definitely helps with the calories and I like them better that way! Also, if you just get in a little exercise in the day you can totally treat yourself to one in the evening! That's sometimes even what I use for motivation to get off my butt and go exercise - it's much more enjoyable to do when you have something to look forward to!
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was watching hungry Girl on cooking channel on Saturday and she had Mexican food as the theme and she mad low cal margaritas. Might want to check it out :)

1 1/2 oz. (1 shot) tequila
    1 oz. (2 tbsp.) lime juice
    One 2-serving packet (about 1 tsp.) sugar-free lemonade powdered drink mix (like the kind by Crystal Light)
    6 oz. (3/4 cup) diet lemon-lime soda
    Optional garnish: lime slice

Combine all ingredients except optional garnish in a glass or shaker. Stir to dissolve drink mix.

Pour into a margarita glass with lots of ice. If you like, finish it off with a slice of lime on the rim of the glass... Time to enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING
    PER SERVING (entire recipe): 115 calories, 0g fat, 55mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, <0.5g sugars, 0g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping, thanks all :)
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    Skinny Girl margarita wasn't bad!!! a little over 100cal a serving i believe.
  • melnmatt
    melnmatt Posts: 4
    Options
    I love your post and feel the same!:smile:
  • lisahale
    lisahale Posts: 56
    Options
    The skinny girl margaritas are really good !
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My husband likes Baja Bob's Sugar Free Margarita mixer, http://www.bajabob.com/margaritamixes.html and they have several flavors.

Margaritas are my fav drink. Going to have to try some low cal mixes!
  • maddienme02
    Options
    I have to agree with many of the other women on here. You don't have stop drinking your margaritas but you will have to either cut back on calories during the day to have one or put a little extra time in at the gym. I so know the feeling :) Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Skinny Girl Margaritas, or a "diet" or low cal margarita mix, OR you can try making your own with fresh squeezed lime, lemon, and orange juice, it may be a little bit more bitter if you don't add sugar though. The place I work at we make our own sour mix (with a good amount of sugar) but I swear it makes having a margarita AMAZING.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I'm SOOOO glad that you posted this!! Lots of ideas and suggestions to make a low-cal version!! Love it!!!

There is more to keep in mind as well when drinking alcohol; reasons to keep it in moderation:
    1) It slows metabolism
    2) It increases appetite
    3) lots of calories- but we solved that with all the variations mentioned.

Not trying to be mean or rude, just factual.

So my other suggestion is to
    1) HAVE the original or a version of it 1 night per week and then on weekends.
    2) Make your glass smaller; don't go for the jumbo size- moderation.
    3) Try to have dinner within an hour or so after your drink; but don't have a fast carb (rice, potato, pasta, fruit). Make that margarita part of your dinner. Then your meal would be your protein and slow carb (salad, veggies, or berries)
    4) Do #3 while on vacation and on weekends. Make it part of your meal. But only have one!!

Perhaps have the no cal versions to tickle the taste buds a little, then have dinner w/o the fast carb; then the margarita for "dessert!" That way the dinner won't be such a buzz kill. LOL

Hope this works for you!! It's more about moderation, than cutting things out!!
    Have agreat summer! And Happy Birthday!!
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    hallelujah, so do I!!

My social life revolves around a drink in the hand. . . and that's exactly the way I like it.

To meet my calories, I do the following:
    1) WORK OUT a ton that day to make room for the drinks
    2) Drink tequila straight, on the rocks, with lime

Regarding #2--Choose an excellent good brand of tequila! Cuervo and Patron are for shooting not for sipping. So if you're looking to sip, go with Herradura, Herencia Mexicana, Partida, or Gran Centenario. It's not an inexpensive method, it'll never be on happy hour, but it's well worth it.
  • Bw3taz
    Bw3taz Posts: 14
    Options
    AWESOME recipes and responses...glad to know I'm not alone with my margarita thoughts! I am for sure going to switch up my recipes and try a few of the ones recommened so that I can keep this in my diet. I recently tried the Lime a Ritas by Budlight but also realized for an 8oz can it's 220 calories which is crazy for beer! Give me my Tequila any day for calories.

Can't wait to try these recipes and know I can keep this in my diet, HEY this might even motivate me to do exercises just so I can turn around and have a drink. Thanks everyone! :drinker: we will just say thats a Margarita in his hand...lol
  • nysunshine1977
    Options
    there is a strawberry margarita mix that is only 20 calories no sugar added and actually tastes good u add the tequila but i just made them for cinco de mayo party n they took care of my desire for a nice frozen margarita :)
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Some have alluded to it, but try this... Our family calls it a Paloma:

1. Take a tall glass and fill it with ice
    2. pour 2 onces of tequila
    3. squeeze in half of a lime or about 2 tablespoons of lime juice (to taste)
    4. sprinkle a dash of salt
    5. fill the rest with Fresca

The only calories are from the liquor and you will be shocked how much it tastes like a margarita... you can also check out my mojito recipe... both are great Summer drinks... Enjoy!
  • Bw3taz
    Bw3taz Posts: 14
    Options
    Sounds good and worth trying and I can take all these ingredients easily camping with us!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I love my margaritas as well...I used to have couple (maybe a few) once a week but I have tried to switch to every other week now, but I completely understand the need for a margarita & good conversation on occasion....I would like to see some of the ideas on this topic as well... :)
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Skinny Margarita's are the best and are only 100 calories! :love:

What I do is balance out what I do during the day if I plan on having a drink or two in the evening. I park much further away at work so I have to walk 15 minutes to get into my workplace, or I'll spend 10 or 15 minutes going up and down my apt stairs (or workplace) to burn an extra 100 hundred calories.

Just remember that this is a journey and you need to be able to treat yourself, not just deny all your cravings. That way you can keep going till you reach your goals!

19164716.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Great idea. I like this