Bananas are as good a choice as cookies!

Options
13»

Replies

• amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    So true. I mean, how many fat monkeys do you see walking around???
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    Dont fear the banana
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Also, carbs are ESSENTIAL to cellular respiration. Unless you don't like ATP, don't worry about carbs!!

Gonna preface this by saying I'm not a low carber, and I'm sure you and I are in complete agreement on most things, but in the sole interest of correcting misinformation - got to speak up here...

Carbs are not essential. They're the only one of the macronutrients that is not needed for survival (unlike fat and protein). In absense of carbs, the body will utilize ketones and will survive quite adequately. You'll feel like crap, but you'll live.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The next time I have a "sugar crash" will be the first

This
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Put the bananas in the cookies. DOUBLE WIN.

And walnuts!

Perfect!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in carbohydrates which means our bodies can process extra sugars from bananas into fat and store it in our bodies. Cookies are high in fat and carbohydrates therefore making it a lot easier to gain weight. Bananas are great for the nutrients they provide we just need to make sure not to eat too many or pair them to other high carb items. :)

This is actually specifically one thing our bodies don't do.

There is a metabolic pathway to convert carbs to fat, but it is an emergency measure only used in extreme cases of carb binging where the blood sugar level approaches poisonous (think 4000+ calories in a sitting). Other than that carbs are stored as glycogen and fat as fat. The crossover between the two is negligible. However the ratio of glycogen to fat will affect the burn rate, have more glycogen and the body will burn more glycogen and less fat, thus dietary fat will be stored easier because you are burning less of it. However since you should have a fixed calorie intake this is a wash, eating more carbs at a given amount of calories means you are eating less fat, thus there is less fat to store, incidentally the amount of fat stored or burned will be exactly what your net calorie surplus or deficit says it should be no matter what your macronutrient breakdown.