Dry body brushing - do you do it?

Options
13»

Replies

• RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I dry brush my skin every day before my shower. It feels invigorating and I like how it makes my skin feel....like buttah! :happy:

All the other supposed health benefits are sketchy in my opinion. Eliminating toxins is what your liver is for, so..... unless you're dry brushing your liver... lol

Whatever floats your boat, though.
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    Bump so I can learn more about what this is
  • MichelletheMonkey
    Options
    I think it's funny how everyone thinks they're an expert, and that EVERYTHING the medical community says is true. Doctors are never going to be forthright about cheap and easy ways to treat things. Why? Because if they did, then they wouldn't make any money!!!

Dry brushing. I've been doing it for a week. Last night and today I noticed something in my poop. Turns out my adrenal system is pushing out fatty mucus. Isn't that lovely? Yes, the dry brushing IS working for me. My skin is smoothing and I've lost 3 lbs.

For the person who asked about brushing the liver. Way to be snide and stupid. You're brushing the biggest organ in your body...and it stores water, fat, glucose, and vitamin D. It also envelopes your endocrine system....which YES is dry brushed, along with one's fat. As far as the collagen....one way to replenish collagen is to stimulate the skin.

As opposed to a lint brush, a lymph brush or “dry brush” is used to help a vital body system do its many jobs more efficiently. The lymphatic system aids the immune system in destroying pathogens and filtering waste, removing excess fluid, debris, dead blood cells, cancer cells, and toxins in the cells, tissues, and spaces between cells found everywhere in our body - especially our connective tissue. The lymph also works with the circulatory system to deliver nutrients, oxygen, and hormones from the blood to the cells that make up the many tissues of the body including our muscles.

dry brushIf the lymphocites are unable to drain the connective tissue properly (as it would in issues like lymphedema) it causes this tissue to become swollen as the protein-rich lymph becomes stagnant. When bacteria enter this fluid as it could if you get a cut, they thrive on this protein-rich fluid which, for people with lymphedema can cause serious infections.

The lymphatic and connective tissue systems are inherently linked. Certain connective tissue cells called fibroblasts produce the extracellular matrix (ECM) that all cells are bathed in. The ECM is comprised of protein fibers like collagen, reticular, and elastic fibers as well as unstructured ground substance and tissue fluid.

The amount of connective tissue fluid should remain fairly constant and there is an equilibrium between the water entering and leaving the intercellular substance of the connective tissue if the body is in an efficient, healthy state. In pathological conditions (traumatic injury, chronic pain, and inflammation) fluid may accumulate in the connective tissue, a condition known as edema.

On top of structural and defensive function, connective tissues serve a nutritive role. All the metabolites from the blood pass from capillary beds and the lymphatic system and diffuse through the adjacent connective tissue cells to other cells and tissues like muscles. Similarly waste metabolites from the cells and tissues diffuse through the loose, fluid connective tissue before returning to the blood capillaries.

Yeah, I dry brush...it works.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do wet body rubbing...some people call it a shower. Makes my skin feel wonderful! And I smell pretty after!

I only do that on Saturday's, if I have a date... LOL
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do a detox once a year from the book called "Seven Day Detox Miracle". One of the things you're supposed to do every day is the dry skin brushing. I love it! However, I usually forget about doing it except when I'm doing the detox. I need to start back up.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, I've just started to do it. It feels nice and invigorating. The person who recommended it to me said it got rid of her swollen ankles. It cannot do any harm, so I will let you know if it does me some good. FYI its the only thing I'm changing at the moment, diet is staying the same.
    I've had swollen lymph nodes behind my ears for over a year - so that's my test, if they go down, it works! Watch this space..... :flowerforyou:

Err aren't swollen lymph nodes for a long period of time a sign of cancer?

No. My lymph nodes swell when I am stressed. For the year during the time when my mother was fighting cancer, I had swollen lymph nodes.. I had lots of tests, but shortly after she died they went away.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I assume this would be bad for anyone who has Psoriasis? Am I right? Or would this actually help?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Will it give you 6 pack abs that all I need to know
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I use to dry brush and need to start again. I also use a clarisonic - just got a new one after my old one died last summer. Great stuff, my skin feels and looks smoother. If it does other stuff, great. but just the look and feel with regular use is enough to make keep on!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a week and a half to try and soften up my skin and help the ingrown/irritated follicles on my legs (god, I hate summer because of this) and help circulation.

I've noticed my rough skin getting better but the red irritated follicles are actually getting worse. I'm going to keep it up for a long enough test period and see what happens.
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    And this is where I go...

wtf.gif
  • MariahHubert
    MariahHubert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do wet body rubbing...some people call it a shower. Makes my skin feel wonderful! And I smell pretty after!

Hey! Me too! What a coinkydink!
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options

Hey! Me too! What a coinkydink!

OMG!!!! THank you!!!!
  • phxcyot75
    phxcyot75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dry brushing has been used for years to treat/ prevent cellulite. Here is a recent episode of Dr. Oz showing how it works. It stimulates circulation and helps the lymphatic system drain not to mention helps the overall appear of your skin.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/biggest-cellulite-myths-busted?video_id=3503614427001

I personally have started to dry brush after seeing this episode and have noticed changes in my skin appear and tautness.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Dry brushing has been used for years to treat/ prevent cellulite. Here is a recent episode of Dr. Oz showing how it works. It stimulates circulation and helps the lymphatic system drain not to mention helps the overall appear of your skin.

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/biggest-cellulite-myths-busted?video_id=3503614427001

I personally have started to dry brush after seeing this episode and have noticed changes in my skin appear and tautness.

Well folks, Dr. Oz says it works, so it must work.

/thread
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Strong first post.