When are you going to stop logging?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I lost weight once. A decade or so ago. I wasn't "overweight" but I was on my way. I ate like crap. The way I was taught to. I learned to eat and logged to learn it. In the process I lost 20-25 LBS. I kept logging til I was sure it had stuck. Once a year or so, after a bad habit or two would creep back in, I'd log (those days it was fit day.com). And now, in menopause I'm back to track my macros, my exercise and to NOT gain weight! Dang it!
    Dont think of it as a binary thing. Log. then wean off, then check in any time the scale goes up, or your energy level goes down...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think my time on here has taught me enough (nearly a year) that i could make it pretty well without logging. I will most likely do it intermittently though. I surely dont plan to do it forever. It is a tool, to teach you how to eat properly. I will definitely do it for a while when i switch my goal to gain weight, to make sure things don't get out of hand in that regard though, at least for the first few weeks.

Learning the portion sizes to eyeball them was the biggest thing, and i got that down the first week.

This sounds like a good plan.

I'll definitely weigh myself regularly and gauge by how my clothes fit. Right now I just log my food just to log it. It doesn't really have any influence on what I eat anymore because I think I learned to make better choices and how to portion foods.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Once I can control the foods around me.
    One of the main reasons I log right now is because I know that if I don't, I'll be tempted by the crap we have in the house here.
    I may slow down logging when I'm back at college since the foods in my dorm will be what I buy, and I know that food has a time and place to be eaten. :)
  • slamazon
    slamazon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for almost 300 days. I hit my goal weight several months ago and continue to log. Keeping track of what I eat /burn keeps me on track :)
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    probably never the way i'm going....
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Until the 12th of never, and that's a long, long time.
    Met my goal last November. Logging is the surest method to keep track and stay ON track.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've logged in 335 days in a row and I'm pretty much at my goal. I don't think I'll ever stop logging though. I have days I go over (like today) that I don't log, but as far as logging on a regular basis? Yeah, I don't think I'll stop. It's just so second nature to me now.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I reached my original goal then decided I could do another 20lbs so I'm still going and logging and I have been on here for a year.

I have reached a point where I know the calories and serving size for the things that I eat since I use the same basic ingredients for things. I could probably stop logging now because I keep track in my head fairly well without needing to log things.

However, now it's a habit to log and helps me figure out my grocery list and plan for the day too since I log everything in the morning or the night before.

So, I really don't know when I'll stop...maybe when I reach the next goal or when I've been able to maintain the new goal for awhile...
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 pounds away from my goal weight but honestly would like to lose 5 to 10 more pounds so I definately see using this on a day to day basis all summer and into the fall and probably at least three months into maintenance to make sure I know what I am doing and then I will probably log here and there and not on a day to day basis and use this more as a tool and not a staple in my life.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options

Lol!! I guess we all will at that point!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have been at goal for 4.5 years now. I log about 99% of the time!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    A few months after I get to where I want.
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when i don't need to eat anymore

This!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think my time on here has taught me enough (nearly a year) that i could make it pretty well without logging. I will most likely do it intermittently though. I surely dont plan to do it forever. It is a tool, to teach you how to eat properly. I will definitely do it for a while when i switch my goal to gain weight, to make sure things don't get out of hand in that regard though, at least for the first few weeks.

Learning the portion sizes to eyeball them was the biggest thing, and i got that down the first week.

This. All of it.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The only way I can see myself not logging, is if I do enough exercise every day, to compensate for all of the extra calories I would be for sure consuming.

For example, if I burn 600 to 800 cals per day. I should be able to eyeball my food and still be withing maintenance weight.
    And of course, I would weigh myself every day to detect a trend up within a week, and then go back to logging until weight is back to normal.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I plan on weaning myself off slowly after a few months of maintaining my goal weight. First not logging on weekends, then friday and weekends, etc.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I like logging and my mfp friends. So I'm sticking around.
    This.
    I have been here for a year and a half, at my goal weight for over a year, tracking my protein- and I like it. And I like how it's helping me.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    when i don't need to eat anymore

^^^yes!! To me that's like....when do I need to stop going to AA meetings. You can't...it's a lifestyle!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I dont see myself ever stopping....this is sorta like my home...lol , virtual home. i dont have anyone in real life who supports my change in eating habits and lifestyle...and even though i learn to figure out how much to eat without the help of the calorie counter...im still going to log it in...ive learnt so much since i joined MFP! :flowerforyou: plus i LOVE my friends here.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I will probably never stop logging...I just know if I ever do stop...I will go back to old habits. I plan on logging indefinitely.